Photo

THE Video Game Thread.

• Please log in to reply
1788 replies to this topic

#1 Rockstar Matt

Rockstar Matt

• Members
  • 1,401 posts

• Favourite Logos:Cowboys primary, Lakers primary, love the us soccer off-white, white jerseys. LA Kings Primary Logo, LA Kings White and Black jerseys

Posted July 15, 2011 - 17:26

I've been contemplating starting this thread for some time now. I can't find any other threads that are just video game threads. I've seen, what game are you looking forward to, or game specific threads, but not just, (One thread to rule them all... Sorry, couldn't resist :P ) a video game thread.

So there you have it. The Only thread on CCSLC that is just about video games.

Alright, so I'm a Gamer. No question. I love them. I play Halo: Reach a lot now, (and I just a Killtacular on Team SWAT.) My favorite game of all-time is Assassin's Creed II. Just a freaking awesome game, and awesome series. Brotherhood was pretty good. Any one else enjoy that series? I love the Mass Effect series, and I'm stoked for ME3 in 2012. Any Mass Effect lovers out there? I am also so stoked for Gears of War 3. Fantastic series. I will buy the game as soon as it comes out.

Here's a question for the CCSLC community at large, Halo or Call of Duty?
Posted Image

#2 officeglenn

officeglenn
  • You had me at "meat tornado."

• Members
  • 8,148 posts
    • Location:Dept. of Parks and Recreation, City of Pawnee, Ind.

Posted July 15, 2011 - 17:34

Neither. ^_^

To be perfectly honest, I just can't get into the first-person shooter RPG stuff. I got about a third of the way through Batman: Arkham Asylum, and only a couple of missions into Red Dead Redemption, before giving up. The closest I've come to finishing a game like that is Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, but that was because a friend brings it over every now and again and it's more of a social thing.

My Xbox 360 collection is more stocked with sports games: NBA 2K11, NHL 11, Tiger Woods 12, etc. I sometimes even find I have more fun with some of the Arcade games, like Full House Poker or Peggle.

#3 Rockstar Matt

Rockstar Matt

• Members
  • 1,401 posts

• Favourite Logos:Cowboys primary, Lakers primary, love the us soccer off-white, white jerseys. LA Kings Primary Logo, LA Kings White and Black jerseys

Posted July 15, 2011 - 17:59

Neither. ^_^

To be perfectly honest, I just can't get into the first-person shooter RPG stuff. I got about a third of the way through Batman: Arkham Asylum, and only a couple of missions into Red Dead Redemption, before giving up. The closest I've come to finishing a game like that is Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, but that was because a friend brings it over every now and again and it's more of a social thing.

My Xbox 360 collection is more stocked with sports games: NBA 2K11, NHL 11, Tiger Woods 12, etc. I sometimes even find I have more fun with some of the Arcade games, like Full House Poker or Peggle.

Quite understandable. I know lots of people that prefer sports/arcade games then first-person shooters. I myself have a lot of sports games, like Madden 11, NBA 2K11. When Madden 12 comes out, I'll probably play that, and complete at least one season with my 'Boys before I touch any other game :P
Posted Image

#4 Jimmy!

Jimmy!
  • Lord of the idiots.

• Members
  • 5,454 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 18:29

Peggle is an evil game. An eeeeeevil game.

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

#5 AnythingChicago

AnythingChicago
  • 2013-14 GHA Champions!

• Members
  • 3,826 posts

• Favourite Logos:Chicago Bulls primary

Posted July 15, 2011 - 18:40

None of the above. I find war games to be extremely disrespectful to the people who have died in war. We should not be making entertainment out of killing people. It isn't right, especially with the families in America suffering from loved ones lost in war.

Anyways, here is my collection (from oldest to newest) for PS3:
  • Madden 11
  • NBA 2K11
  • College Football 11 (I don't plan on getting the newer version)
  • MLB 11 the Show
  • Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters (or whatever the hell it's called)
  • 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (This game is extremely fun. I made it to the World Cup finals against England with Albania -- they were the first team alphabetically -- and will play the game tomorrow. I've been blowing away my opponents, too -- 3-0 over Argentina in group stage, 4-0 over Iran in group stage, 3-1 over South Korea in round of 16, 4-2 over Germany in quarterfinals, and 3-1 over Italy in the semis. When I try to qualify for the World Cup again -- with Algeria -- I will probably raise the difficulty level.)

Capital_Cup_Banner_zps9e4225cd.png

Signature courtesy of GoNordiques

#6 jayjackson3

jayjackson3
  • Baseball!

• Members
  • 3,938 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 18:57

AnythingChicago, of course you are entitled to your opinion. But I was in the Marines and I had friends die in Iraq. But we look at war games just as they are. They are just games. We even joke with each other because Marines (the elite military fighting force) usually is not very good at those games. I know I'm not. I'm sure you would think it's silly if someone decided they think Madden is disrespectful because it promotes violence. It's not that serious. Take it from someone that has actually been to war...a lot.

As for games I play Rockstar Matt, I prefer Halo right now but it wasn't always that way. Halo Reach is the first one I played and I think I like it because you get to kill aliens. I love Assassin's Creed as well. I played Red Dead Redemption all the way through and I can't wait for the new Batman game. I am still playing DC Universe online but not as much as before. I think SOE dropped the ball on that one.

#7 Rockstar Matt

Rockstar Matt

• Members
  • 1,401 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 20:13

[*]2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (This game is extremely fun. I made it to the World Cup finals against England with Albania -- they were the first team alphabetically -- and will play the game tomorrow. I've been blowing away my opponents, too -- 3-0 over Argentina in group stage, 4-0 over Iran in group stage, 3-1 over South Korea in round of 16, 4-2 over Germany in quarterfinals, and 3-1 over Italy in the semis. When I try to qualify for the World Cup again -- with Algeria -- I will probably raise the difficulty level.)
[/list]

That game is a blast! I play it regularly as well. I actually just got off the 360, playing 2010 FIFA World Cup. My next game is against England with the USA in the semis. (I took USA all the way from the qualifiers.) I just blew out Italy 4-0 in the quaterfinals. I think it's time I raise the difficulty as well :P

And as to the first thing you said, I understand. I have family and friends in the military (though I am not in the military). I think that's why I prefer the Halo series over CoD. In Halo you fight aliens in a futuristic setting, with cool armor settings (such as a flaming blue-head, or an effect which shoots party confetti out of you head if you die. Or a cloud of lighting surrounding you and when you die lighting bursts form your body.) It's almost comical. I've never liked modern warfare games. :P
Posted Image

#8 Seadragon76

Seadragon76
  • Southern Iowa Athletics: Thunderbirds.. Are... GO!

• Members
  • 7,794 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 20:18

I hate Halo. I hate CoD. Hell, I hate all FPS games, so to me... Those games can go rot in Video Game Hell next to Big Rigs Racing, Custer's Revenge and ET The Video Game.

Now that I feel better now that I expressed my hatred towards an overrated genre, I am a gamer as well. My specialties are Sports and Fighting Games... Although that is kinda shunted right now since I have a PS2 and a Wii (BTW, can someone other then Nintendo make a decent game for the Wii, please? The last good game that fell outside of the genres I like on the Wii was MadWorld).

Seadragon Fantasy Sports - Where success comes once in a blood moon

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iowa Raccoons (CL - 2013 CL Playoff Champions)  - Des Moines Elks (IBL) - Dynamo Iowa FC (USA) - Omaha Monarchs (CAFL)

San Antonio Silver Hawks (UFL)  - Thunder Bay Giants (TNFF)  - Southern Iowa Thunderbirds (NCFA)  - Tokyo Samurai (WAFA)

#9 Island_Style

Island_Style
  • WHAT DID YOU SAY ABOUT MY JAGS?

• Members
  • 4,173 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 20:25

If anyone wants to play madden on xbox 360, look me up. Bungholio3681. Also play NHL but it is currently on loan for a few days.

#10 -(dp)-

-(dp)-
  • Say hello to the Disassembly Line

• Members
  • 2,504 posts

• Favourite Logos:Wyoming Marinerzzz Primary. That is all.

Posted July 15, 2011 - 20:57

Uncharted 2 was an amazing game, and the Uncharted 3 multiplayer beta was a ton of fun. Also, never play Madden Ultimate Team. That game mode can be crazy addicting. There are actually people who have put $1000+ cash into that game for virtual cards/players. I don't spend money on it, but I have spent wayyyy too much time. Any other ultimate team players here?

MegatronSig2.jpg

#11 AnythingChicago

AnythingChicago
  • 2013-14 GHA Champions!

• Members
  • 3,826 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 21:15

[*]2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (This game is extremely fun. I made it to the World Cup finals against England with Albania -- they were the first team alphabetically -- and will play the game tomorrow. I've been blowing away my opponents, too -- 3-0 over Argentina in group stage, 4-0 over Iran in group stage, 3-1 over South Korea in round of 16, 4-2 over Germany in quarterfinals, and 3-1 over Italy in the semis. When I try to qualify for the World Cup again -- with Algeria -- I will probably raise the difficulty level.)
[/list]

That game is a blast! I play it regularly as well. I actually just got off the 360, playing 2010 FIFA World Cup. My next game is against England with the USA in the semis. (I took USA all the way from the qualifiers.) I just blew out Italy 4-0 in the quaterfinals. I think it's time I raise the difficulty as well :P

And as to the first thing you said, I understand. I have family and friends in the military (though I am not in the military). I think that's why I prefer the Halo series over CoD. In Halo you fight aliens in a futuristic setting, with cool armor settings (such as a flaming blue-head, or an effect which shoots party confetti out of you head if you die. Or a cloud of lighting surrounding you and when you die lighting bursts form your body.) It's almost comical. I've never liked modern warfare games. :P

I forgot to clarify: I am also doing the full mode (qualification, friendlies, and the finals, if you qualify). Very fun game, however. I hear the experience is amazing if you win the World Cup. I wonder what they'll have to say about Albania if they qualify. All the announcers ever do is complain about how I shouldn't be winning. B)

#12 DeFrank

DeFrank
  • HTTR

• Members
  • 2,447 posts

• Favourite Logos:Bucco Ship
      Capital Eagle
      Bengal Head

Posted July 15, 2011 - 23:15

I'm a big XBOX guy.

I loved MW2. Played the :censored: out of that game, but Black Ops is utterly disappointing.

Reach was an amazing game, but for some reason I don't play it too much anymore.

I love the Assassins Creed series, and cannot wait for Revelations. I also play the Madden and NHL series every year. Most of my friends have XBOX, so it becomes more of a social event than anything else. That being said, I cannot wait for some of these games in the fall, especially Battlefield 3.

#13 wildwing64

wildwing64
  • Long road ahead

• Members
  • 2,132 posts

• Favourite Logos:Anaheim Mighty Ducks

Posted July 16, 2011 - 08:24

I'm a big Nintendo fan, so I only ever get Nintendo consoles. Maybe it's a small glimmer of stubbornness left over from my days as a fanboy, or that I don't want to stray from my roots, but I'm just not interested in the other two consoles. A lot of my friends have Xbox 360s so I'm often feeling left out when it comes to my taste in videogames. Aside from maybe Sonic or NHL, there's nothing for me on the Xbox or PS3.

While Nintendo's own series like Mario (my favourite, by the way) are generally fantastic, the Wii always, always gets the bum deal when it comes to decent third party content. I also found the lack of NHL on Wii for its first two years to be very frustrating, considering EA released all of their other sports franchises on a regular annual basis for this console. Was nice to see NHL Slapshot, but that's not getting a sequel this year. Argh.

On occasion I turn to my laptop for my gaming needs instead, mainly for Worms, Team Fortress 2 and Transformers War For Cybertron. TF2's about the only first person shooter that I play, as I generally suck at these kind of games (that said, TF2 is no exception) and find games like Call of Duty to be boring.

shoulderpatch_zps3de70137.png

#14 mania

mania

• Members
  • 7,387 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 09:10

Battlefield, or to a lesser extent, TF2. Both easily better than Halo or COD (OMG KILLZTSREAKS!)

#15 friarcanuck

friarcanuck

• Members
  • 756 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 16:20

How bad is it that I just started playing Red Dead Redemption after getting it for Christmas?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 AJM

AJM
  • Ready To Plow

• Members
  • 2,902 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 16:28

FIFA, Madden, COD (Modern Warfare series), EA Skate (series)

Phoenix Federals (WAFL) - Phoenix Soldiers (CAFL) - Heat City FC (USA) - AC Roma (WFL) - Zurich Alpine Club (LPI)

#17 loogodude90

loogodude90

• Banned
  • 2,996 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 16:33

I finally found a basketball game that I can't beat: NBA Live '06 for PS2.

I've played at least 15 29-game seasons under pretty awful conditions (playing as the Hawks, and on SuperStar level), and I've yet to win more than 14 games in a season. I've only qualified for the playoffs once, and I got eliminated in the first round that season.

Still, it's a nice change from the overly easy NBA Live games of the 1990's. But I think this is one game that I'll never "beat" (beat = win the Finals on the hardest skill level with the worst, or one of the worst, teams).

If anyone has successfully done this, let me know.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

#18 AnythingChicago

AnythingChicago
  • 2013-14 GHA Champions!

• Members
  • 3,826 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 16:33

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (This game is extremely fun. I made it to the World Cup finals against England with Albania -- they were the first team alphabetically -- and will play the game tomorrow. I've been blowing away my opponents, too -- 3-0 over Argentina in group stage, 4-0 over Iran in group stage, 3-1 over South Korea in round of 16, 4-2 over Germany in quarterfinals, and 3-1 over Italy in the semis. When I try to qualify for the World Cup again -- with Algeria -- I will probably raise the difficulty level.)

I forgot to clarify: I am also doing the full mode (qualification, friendlies, and the finals, if you qualify). Very fun game, however. I hear the experience is amazing if you win the World Cup. I wonder what they'll have to say about Albania if they qualify. All the announcers ever do is complain about how I shouldn't be winning. B)

Just beat England in the World Cup finale 5-0. Way to easy. My players danced around the field and thrust up the trophy. The announcers had nothing but generic comments to say like "well, there is no greater achievement in the sport than winning the World Cup". I'm sure if you won it with a team like England, Argentina, Spain, or even the United States, you would get some pretty unique comments.

Now I'm gonna due some kick-off matches/scrimmages with Algeria to get used to a harder difficulty level.

#19 YessSir32

YessSir32

• Members
  • 2,063 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 18:57

I'm all sports games. This is my PS3 collection.

Madden 11
MLB The Show 11
NHL 11
NBA 2K11
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2011
Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2011

tybs.png
Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL) | Motor City Flames (UBA)

#20 cmm

cmm

• Members
  • 1,314 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 19:14

I hate Halo. I hate CoD. Hell, I hate all FPS games, so to me... Those games can go rot in Video Game Hell next to Big Rigs Racing, Custer's Revenge and ET The Video Game.

Now that I feel better now that I expressed my hatred towards an overrated genre, I am a gamer as well. My specialties are Sports and Fighting Games... Although that is kinda shunted right now since I have a PS2 and a Wii (BTW, can someone other then Nintendo make a decent game for the Wii, please? The last good game that fell outside of the genres I like on the Wii was MadWorld).

I know it's called one of the worst video games of all time, but I had fun playing ET when I was a kid. That and Moon Patrol. Then when we finally could afford a Nintendo, I moved on to Baseball Stars and Tecmo Super Bowl, the greatest game ever made.