Pacific Coast League

raysox

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked the maple leaf on the sleeve idea, so I went ahead and did that. How can I add blue to Seattle? I'm not sure what else there can be.

San Francisco Seals

So far, this is my favorite. The team is one of the teams that got screwed over when the Giants moved west. The team is traditionally navy and white. But I have seen logos with orange. I thought that would be neat, so I changed the old orange to a darker rustier orange, like the Golden Gate Bridge. The primary logo is a circle logo, simple, but I traced a seal logo, and made it modern. If anyone wants to see it up close, I have no problem with looking at that logo again. The SF logo is a modern version of the one they used. The two letters are drawn. Same witht he script. I've never done a script like that. Well, I did do my Dunedin Scots, but I did this one better. I went with orange with navy outline, because lighter with a darker outline looks better. I brought back the pin stripes, and went pretty simple on them.

SanFrancisco1.png

SanFrancisco2.png

1) Now I get it!

2) Your Seals stuff is excellent. I like how the Seals stayed somewhat traditional in your alternate history, a la the Yankees or the Tigers back east. I'm not much for pinstripes, especially on road greys, but I respect their place as part of baseball tradition and since you've kept the Seals traditional, they make sense.

3) As someone who designs cursive brush scripts like the one you made for the Seals, I'm interested: what's your process?

Here is the logo.

2d0kw0y.png

I knew they used a lot of Seals logos, ones with a baseball on the nose. I searched San Francisco Seals logo, and cam across this,

SanFranciscoSeals49.GIF

That is from 1949. I liked it better than this logo

SFSeals55b.GIF

Just because I don't like the script and the ball is over sized.

As far as the script, I wrote it on a piece of paper, just to get my idea. Then using the pen tool I drew it. I've been finding a lot more about inkscape, and have been using all the tools I can(Which is why my logos have gotten better, I think) I made the script thick and made it to my liking. Then I used the stroke to path to further edit it, and do the tail underneath. It's not perfect, but it's the pest custom script job I've done, and I will probably do more.

Sacramento is next, and I will probably post it tonight.

I think the pinstripes look pretty good with an orange and blue color scheme, even with a gray uniform on the road. Very similar to Cal State Fullerton's look. The script and cap logos both look good, I think a "San Francisco" script for the road jersey might make it perfect.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Liking the Seals. As others have said, that SF logo is fantastic. The primary is good, but that SF logo is enough to make this this team's identity very solid. I like the Seals script. It's got that old, almost awkward, old script feel that some teams have like the Twins, but it works. I'd actually like to see it in the primary, but maybe that's too predictable.

On the Rainiers, the font seems bland. I know not all fonts have to be crazy or memorable, but this particular font just seems bulky and boring compared in contrast to the mountain above it.

Actually, I was considering changing the Rainiers font, I didn't like it the more I looked at it after I posted it.

EDIT: Updated.

Sacramento Solons

Alrighty. The team name is based on an actual person Solon was a Greek law maker way back around 600 BC. Sac-town being the capitol, they have Senators, obviously. The term Solons is a synonym for Senators. This logo was based on the California capitol building.

SacramentoSolons_logo.png

so, keeping that motif, I traced a picture of it. I tried to make it sleek, like the National's capitol building. I traced, made it two colors(The gold part is a darker color, and I made it yellow for the scheme. Since it's a Greek term, I thought a Greek Wreath would be a good add on. I kept the S cap logo from the time period, because it's pretty classic, I guess. The font is just a simple font, because I felt that matching it to the cap wouldn't work with the primary. The colors are used from the 1970s team, which trotted out in these.

The jerseys are loosely based on the link. I didn't want to use racing stripes, so I did a jersey like the Phillies' road set. It was a pretty simple design, I thought. On the caps, I gave them a yellow bill, when yellow became more prominent in my set. I thought of doing a Seattle Pilots wing look, but that wouldn't have existed!

Sacramento1.png

Sacramento2.png

Comment! I plan on doing Hollywood or Portland next.

Bump, in case anyone didn't see Sacramento.

Requesting colors for San Diego still! I decided blue and red for the Stars. Then red, navy, and maize color for the Angels.

Here are the cap logos. I just need to do the primary for the Stars, but I have an idea.

8yf875.png2l94dc5.png

Wow, all these concepts are amazing, especially the Solons! The only thing I don't like about that is the different fonts used for the cap logo and script. I'd prefer to see more consistency between the two (though that is just a personal preference). These look amazing either way.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Archived