Blue Jays to change uniforms for next season

whateverman42

How the hell could the championship set NOT work today? Unique, rounded wordmark with the hashes in the middle of letters, unique, rounded font which no other teams have used, wasn't a dated pullover and didn't have huge sleeve and neck striping. The Blue Jays went with a "futuristic" set to begin with and it was perfected in the button-up form during the championship years. Every change since 1996 has further eroded their identity and made them look worse. The championship look became classic, not dated.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good lord. The Blue Jays adding red seems about as logical to me as the Cincinnati Reds adding blue, you know, to represent a more 'American' theme.

I'm pretty sure Americans get it; Toronto is in Canada. We don't have to bash them over the head with red and white and maple leafs and beavers every chance we get. This is a disturbing trend if you ask me.. The Raptors go all red an leafy because they're Canada's team (although their previous set was pretty f'ugly)... The Jets felt the need to go heavy on the red leaf on both primary and alt. logos... and now whispers of the Jays going primarily red with a prominent leaf? I think I just puked a little in my mouth. How did this get so out of control?

If the Jays are adding red in an attempt to unify or endear Canadian supports, or perhaps (somehow) appeal to fans who live outside the GTA; the whole "Canada's Team" angle... for :censored: sakes, I don't buy that either. People are much smarter than that.

If the Jays do indeed make the horrible mistake of going red, I suspect it will have much to do with Rogers, and their corporate colours. But please, I beg, whoever out there has the final say on the matter, don't eff this up. It's not really fair... I feel the fans should have a voice in this... No red. No cartoon birds. No ferocious 3D stylized bird/leaf hybrid creature. Something fairly simple and traditional would be appreciated by many I'd think. And for gods sake stick a T on the cap...

How the hell could the championship set NOT work today? Unique, rounded wordmark with the hashes in the middle of letters, unique, rounded font which no other teams have used, wasn't a dated pullover and didn't have huge sleeve and neck striping. The Blue Jays went with a "futuristic" set to begin with and it was perfected in the button-up form during the championship years. Every change since 1996 has further eroded their identity and made them look worse. The championship look became classic, not dated.

I'll agree with that. The championsip era set (with solid blue cap at home at least) is a bona-fide classic that would look great in any era. It is absolutely not dated. It's one of, if not the only set that I'd ever advocate a team "go back to", despite my vehement opposition to teams simply "going back" to an older set.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I've said this before, but pretty much my only complaint about that set is that the numbers look too 70's. They should come up with a way to modernize that number and word font, nothing drastic, but it does need an upgrade. Pretty much every thing else in that set looks fine to me, though.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I'll agree with that. The championsip era set (with solid blue cap at home at least) is a bona-fide classic that would look great in any era. It is absolutely not dated. It's one of, if not the only set that I'd ever advocate a team "go back to", despite my vehement opposition to teams simply "going back" to an older set.

I was going to quote TheOldRoman and say something on the lines of "this". But I'll add that while he essentially nailed my thoughts (particularly about the step-by-step erosion), that the all-blue hat was phenomenal...That as their only cap would make the championship set perfect...but I hate pinwheel caps.

I wish they'd have kept that essential set. Maybe the logo would be off of the jersey front by now (which would appeal to the traditionalist in me), but the unique font would (and should) be as much a part of their identity as their great cap logo.

And now they want to "Canadize" their look? I know, with the Expos gone, they are "Canada's team". And what better way to display that than with some subtlety, as they did with the championship (or even the next set's) look of a small presence of the red maple leaf?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I've long said that the Blue Jays could've saved themselves a lot of grief about their uniforms if they had just done this

bluerhatgraphitebill-1.png

Home

bluejayscapbluebill-1.png

Road

Dear god no....HORRIBLE!!!!

Hold on. The guy who likes everything thinks these are "HORRIBLE!!!!". Care to elaborate.

How about this?

allblue.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

I've long said that the Blue Jays could've saved themselves a lot of grief about their uniforms if they had just done this

Home

Road

Hold on. The guy who likes everything thinks these are "HORRIBLE!!!!". Care to elaborate.

How about this?

allblue.png

I want that hat! The all blue looks fantastic

camnewton2.jpg

Auburn University Alum

Home

Road

How about this?

allblue.png

That would make the set only about 75% horrible, instead of 125%.

There are so many things wrong with the current set. The number font is just awful. The overuse of grey. I actually think black is a good primary color for the Blue Jays. The over-abundance of gray is what drabs them out. Black, blue, and white would be a very solid look. The Royals and Rays have removed black from their color scheme, so a black, blue, and white color scheme would be unique and something to build off of. All of these problems I have stem from the logo. A beveled "Jays" with a two-tone gray? That's why the number font looks so awful. You have a dark graphite gray as the color of the actual number and a lighter gray outline all because of the two grays is the primary. Then you have piping on the pants, but not on the jersey? So it's not the black I have a problem with, it's the grayyyy. The road jersey actually looks okay for current logo. The beveled fonts match the logo better and they have more blue. But I feel that it's only because the road uniform itself is gray and they can't have gray on gray. The black jersey has the same problem as the home jersey. Too much gray. I feel if they were to change the logo itself, they would be able to use for blue. That's my 2 cents.

34s9wcf4auwevbigd2fhvg2fb.gif75bxh84ekthglej0vx1e9qcht.gif

IDK, but I like 'em. IDK why people hate these.

I do? News to me. My issue is the logo and the grey. Their current logo needs to go and I understand the grey being one of the true colors of a bluejay, but as for the MLB team, the grey should only be a minor detail on their uni and never on the hat.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

There are so many things wrong with the current set. The number font is just awful. The overuse of grey. I actually think black is a good primary color for the Blue Jays. The over-abundance of gray is what drabs them out. Black, blue, and white would be a very solid look. The Royals and Rays have removed black from their color scheme, so a black, blue, and white color scheme would be unique and something to build off of. All of these problems I have stem from the logo. A beveled "Jays" with a two-tone gray? That's why the number font looks so awful. You have a dark graphite gray as the color of the actual number and a lighter gray outline all because of the two grays is the primary. Then you have piping on the pants, but not on the jersey? So it's not the black I have a problem with, it's the grayyyy. The road jersey actually looks okay for current logo. The beveled fonts match the logo better and they have more blue. But I feel that it's only because the road uniform itself is gray and they can't have gray on gray. The black jersey has the same problem as the home jersey.

Too much gray. I feel if they were to change the logo itself, they would be able to use for blue. That's my 2 cents.

34s9wcf4auwevbigd2fhvg2fb.gif75bxh84ekthglej0vx1e9qcht.gif

IDK, but I like 'em. IDK why people hate these.

Really? People have explained why they dislike these. Go back and read if you want to know.

Also, spell out your words.

I do? News to me. My issue is the logo and the grey. Their current logo needs to go and I understand the grey being one of the true colors of a bluejay, but as for the MLB team, the grey should only be a minor detail on their uni and never on the hat.

I just haven't seen you take many critical stances on uniforms. Most of your reviews are raving and you like things (such as the Browns brown pants) that the majority of people think are awful. That's all.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Bring back the world series uniforms and be done with it

100% agree. Those were so nice. What they've had since then is well designed for the most part but no where as nice as what they had.

No. They won't look good in the modern era. Perfect for the early 90s, but not 20 years later. A more modern update on the Clemens-era unis, what someone said earlier, will be best.

spacer.png

100% agree. Those were so nice. What they've had since then is well designed for the most part but no where as nice as what they had.

No. They won't look good in the modern era. Perfect for the early 90s, but not 20 years later. A more modern update on the Clemens-era unis, what someone said earlier, will be best.

1) Please explain how they won't look good in the "modern era".

2) The Clemens set blew.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

1) Please explain how they won't look good in the "modern era".

2) The Clemens set blew.

70's font with 70's/80's striping an logo on lower left of the jersey.

Modify the font a bit, make the striping the thinner triple piping like other teams use and take the logo off the front and you'd have a nice update. As is, they're dated.

The current Jays road jersey is actually pretty good with the exception of the 'T' hat. I just don't like the way it looks. I don't know if they can keep that basic design, but switch the black cap/socks to blue, then come up with a matching home version. As for the red, the only acceptable red would be in the form of a maple leaf and a Canada Day jersey.

The retro jerseys are okay, but should be left in the past. I honestly don't get the love for some of the retro jerseys teams bring out. Is it simply because they won a championship with them?

Archived