Blue Jays to change uniforms for next season

whateverman42

70's font with 70's/80's striping an logo on lower left of the jersey.

Modify the font a bit, make the striping the thinner triple piping like other teams use and take the logo off the front and you'd have a nice update. As is, they're dated.

I don't see it as a '70s font. I think it fits as a "futuristic" font, which went along with the concept of Skydome. The font isn't dated at all to me. The stiping could be decreased, but I think the striping they had (along with what the Sox and Phillies have now) is quiet enough to not be as garish as the other cuff stripes of that era. If they must, the striping can be reduced to the the new fad - thin triple stripes on the cuffs, legs and collar. I didn't mention it previously, but of course, I would also move the patch from the stomach to the left sleeve. As it is, this set is good enough for me to bring back tomorrow. Even with the silly gut patch, it is much better than anything the Blue Jays have worn since. I consider it an all-time classic uniform.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to say it, but I fear a red alternate will be in the mix for next year.

I'm really curious as to how they'll mess with that bird though. I hope it's not that 2003 blue jay on steriods again :P Would much prefer the early 90's look or even the latter 90's is fine.

allblue.png

That all blue hat looks great! I really like their current logo like others here, they just need to get rid of the black and silver and that horrible name and number font. Maybe throw in a maple leaf somewhere on the current looking Jay so they have some red in there and then they can do a red alternate and it wouldn't look so bad.

Haha I remember that muscle Jay, that was a strange looking logo.

Crude mockup...

allblue.jpg

I've long said that the Blue Jays could've saved themselves a lot of grief about their uniforms if they had just done this

bluerhatgraphitebill-1.png

Home

bluejayscapbluebill-1.png

Road

LOVE these

The current Jays road jersey is actually pretty good with the exception of the 'T' hat. I just don't like the way it looks. I don't know if they can keep that basic design' date=' but switch the black cap/socks to blue, then come up with a matching home version. As for the red, the only acceptable red would be in the form of a maple leaf and a Canada Day jersey.

The retro jerseys are okay, but should be left in the past. I honestly don't get the love for some of the retro jerseys teams bring out. Is it simply because they won a championship with them?

[/quote']

I agree with you about the T cap, especially at home. It looks horrible with the Jays wordmark. I like it on the road though. I also agree with you on the red. Aside from Canada day and the Maple Leaf patches, there is absolutely NO reason for the Blue Jays to have a prominent presence of red anywhere on their uniforms.

Truthfully, I like this Jays set a lot (except when they wear the T cap at home, like I said). When they introduced it back in 2004 I thought it was great, except for the gray home cap. But now that that's been gone for several years and they added the maple leaf patch a few years back I think it's awesome. Maybe if they added the caps I quoted above it would be an improvement, but other than that I don't think they need to change at all. Oh well, though. It looks as if that's gonna be the plan. I just hope the new ones dont look ridiculous.

Bring back the world series uniforms and be done with it

100% agree. Those were so nice. What they've had since then is well designed for the most part but no where as nice as what they had.

No. They won't look good in the modern era. Perfect for the early 90s, but not 20 years later. A more modern update on the Clemens-era unis, what someone said earlier, will be best.

1) Please explain how they won't look good in the "modern era".

2) The Clemens set blew.

I can't believe people find the '93 set "dated." To me, it looks perfectly modern, and way the hell more modern then the garish clemens era stuff and t-bird logo nonsense that followed it. I actually think I prefer the current look to those, now that I'm seeing the pics in this thread (which admittedly, is a bit like prefering to be shot 11 times instead of 15.)

The world series look is nearly flawless... I could see modernizing the logo a bit, and maybe even slight colour shade changes (or a bit of black) but the wordmark and numbers are my favorite elements of that look - and I fail to see anything "dated" about them. Such a perfect vibe for a toronto-based team.

I liked the Clemens era set A LOT. I think maybe a set combining elements from the Clemens era set and the early 90's set, while still having some sort of modernization from the current set would work well. Easier said than done though.

Someone explain what is wrong with the late 90s "Clemens" set.

The overuse of red and light blue. The subtle maple leaf of the original logo was a great way to get the "Canada" part of the identity across without bashing people over the head with overt Canadian-ness. The Clemens set's expanded use of the leaf really was a little on the obnoxious side.

Red also made its way into the uniform itself, whereas before it was confined to the logo. The double blue and white colour scheme, with just a little bit of red, was a neat take on the standard red, white, and blue baseball theme. By expanding the use of red they not only ruined that, but it also muddled up the previously clean double blue and white look.

Red and light blue also made its way into the wordmarks and numbers. The Word Series era set's unique font stood out. The white lines separating the letting in the Clemens set were replaced with light blue at home and red on the road. On the road the red just sort of bled into the blue, and at home the light blue division wasn't nearly as prominent as the white that came before it. The entire point of the split lettering/numbers was lost because the divisions were harder to make out. Though I can't confirm this (someone call CWx) I think the light blue was changed when they went to the Clemens set. It looks like it got a little closer to teal.

The logo. The added detail, shading, expanded use of red, and the darker(?) light blue make for a more muddled logo compared to the World Series era version. Of course we've already gone over the oversized MADE IN CANADA leaf.

As far as updates go, it just muddled everything that came before it. It just doesn't seem as clean as the World Series era set. That set took the elements it had and used them tastefully. The Clemens era "update" was using much of the same elements, but it just went overboard in implementing them across the uniform set.

^ exactly. The Blue Jays took their classic uniforms and "90's-ified" it, and that's not a good thing. They over-colored and over-striped everything. It's the classic case of the 90's trend of taking every color you have and throwing it into every part of the uniform. Just because you have three colors doesn't mean they all need to be represented on every part of the uniform.

In my ideal world the Blue Jays would still be wearing their World Series uniforms with the all blue cap. If they wanted to modernize that set then all they need to do is shrink the striping down a bit. The royal blue and light blue stripes looked fantastic and they would still look fantastic today. The scripts would look a little dated, but if you stick with something long enough it'll come back again and then eventually it'll become classic.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't necessarily think there was anything wrong with it, but it did look like it fit in the 90's. If they were to take that identity and simplify it down a tad, since simplicity is popular these day, it could work.

I don't necessarily think there was anything wrong with it, but it did look like it fit in the 90's. If they were to take that identity and simplify it down a tad, since simplicity is popular these day, it could work.

Agreed, something about the whole identity felt very "in your face," not in a bad way, but that's just how it felt. Big bold letters, bright red on bright blue, a big red maple leaf on the cap, and almost cartoony. I don't think it would work today.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

The overuse of red and light blue. The subtle maple leaf of the original logo was a great way to get the "Canada" part of the identity across without bashing people over the head with overt Canadian-ness. The Clemens set's expanded use of the leaf really was a little on the obnoxious side.

Red also made its way into the uniform itself, whereas before it was confined to the logo. The double blue and white colour scheme, with just a little bit of red, was a neat take on the standard red, white, and blue baseball theme. By expanding the use of red they not only ruined that, but it also muddled up the previously clean double blue and white look.

Red and light blue also made its way into the wordmarks and numbers. The Word Series era set's unique font stood out. The white lines separating the letting in the Clemens set were replaced with light blue at home and red on the road. On the road the red just sort of bled into the blue, and at home the light blue division wasn't nearly as prominent as the white that came before it. The entire point of the split lettering/numbers was lost because the divisions were harder to make out. Though I can't confirm this (someone call CWx) I think the light blue was changed when they went to the Clemens set. It looks like it got a little closer to teal.

The logo. The added detail, shading, expanded use of red, and the darker(?) light blue make for a more muddled logo compared to the World Series era version. Of course we've already gone over the oversized MADE IN CANADA leaf.

As far as updates go, it just muddled everything that came before it. It just doesn't seem as clean as the World Series era set. That set took the elements it had and used them tastefully. The Clemens era "update" was using much of the same elements, but it just went overboard in implementing them across the uniform set.

I agree 100% with that assessment.

If people think that the WS-era needs to be "modernized", what if you made the front a vertical arch instead of a radial arch, and slightly stretched the letters vertically? Keep rest exactly the same, or use an updated bird logo, but keep the actual design and colo(u)rs the same?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So, the Clemens set with white replacing the lighter blue/red and without the leaf as prominent? I could get behind that.

FWIW, I'm gonna love the Clemens set. I've even got a player-issued Luke Prokopec road jersey from '03. That's my favorite set in baseball history, to be honest.

6fQjS3M.png

So, the Clemens set with white replacing the lighter blue/red and without the leaf as prominent? I could get behind that.

FWIW, I'm gonna love the Clemens set. I've even got a player-issued Luke Prokopec road jersey from '03. That's my favorite set in baseball history, to be honest.

Well, 2003 wasn't the Clemens set. They moved to the steroid bird and went with a traditional placket and sleeve piping format, which made things that much worse.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Well, 2003 wasn't the Clemens set. They moved to the steroid bird and went with a traditional placket and sleeve piping format, which made things that much worse.

You mean, "a lot better." :)

You mean, "a lot better." :)

As much as the Clemens set sucked, at least it was keeping with what the Blue Jays had previously done. Forget about how ridiculous the steroid bird was for a minute. I didn't like the look of the 2003 set (particularly with the blue sleeves) and I don't think the Blue Jays should wear a traditional set with piping or pinstripes.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

If they're going to go that route they might as well go back to this....

fm0xbms6o2rgev2so5befz813-2.giff18kq33els2nq98rovh61eqkk-2.gif

Just saying.

The Clemons era set tried to fix something that wasn't broken.

If they're going to go that route they might as well go back to this....

fm0xbms6o2rgev2so5befz813-2.giff18kq33els2nq98rovh61eqkk-2.gif

Just saying.

The Clemons era set tried to fix something that wasn't broken.

Love this set. The font is in no way outdated. In fact it's being used more and more by teams in other sports now. It was far ahead of its time. Showcased the high-end, Euro-style, graphic design Canadian designers are known for. Americanizing is was the wrong thing to do.

I love everything about it, even the logo on the belly. I like the font. I love the royal blue with the light blue. I love how they left the light blue at home. I love the logo. They really reached perfection when they stopped wearing the hats with the white front panel.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived