St. Louis Rams horns

apeman33

Was it just me or did anyone else happen to notice that some of the horns on certain Rams' helmets seemed to be a bit thin and curl differently? I don't have a way to do screen caps or else I would have tried to capture an example. It looked as if some of the horns were altered to accommodate the slots in the top or the oblong-shaped earholes on certain helmets.

I noticed it too.

The older Rams helmets had the horns coming closer together in the front and on more of an angle from the front of the helmet as it goes toward the back.

There's too much of an 'even' gap as it goes from front to back, rather than how it used to be angular and look more Ram-like, which has taken away from their classic identity.

09000d5d82172737_gallery_600.jpg

2461606.jpg

I noticed it too.

The older Rams helmets had the horns coming closer together in the front and on more of an angle from the front of the helmet as it goes toward the back.

There's too much of an 'even' gap as it goes from front to back, rather than how it used to be angular and look more Ram-like, which has taken away from their classic identity.

2461606.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, did the Rams have a new equipment manager either last year or this year? Maybe he needs to take some classes on how to apply them properly!

I noticed it too.

2461606.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, did the Rams have a new equipment manager either last year or this year? Maybe he needs to take some classes on how to apply them properly!

I think you're right; the equipment manager they replaced last year was actually the son of the manager they had back in the LA days so the same family had been doing it for over 40 years. Also they might be using different decals to fit the modern helmets better.

Of course the old helmets like the Gabriel had the horns painted on by Riddell; they didn't go to decals until the late 70s/early 80s. Also they made the decision to cut the decals to fit around the front bumpers on helmets once they became common in the 70s - you'll see early 70s Ram helmets with the painted horns where the front bumper covers part of the horn; by the early 80s they were decals that were just cut around them. The Eagles also went through similar issues; it wasn't until their current helmet design that the redid the wings to flow out of the helmet front bumper.

I noticed it too.

2461606.jpg

This year. One of Spagnuolo's cronies. Yeah, I noticed the thinner horns too.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Good catch. Hadn't seen any highlights or pics from this game until I saw this thread and there's definitely a difference. It's more evident in the video highlights but Sammy B. was wearing the thinner horns. The pic at right is from last year. The new ones look kinda goofy.

121084028_extra_large.jpgsam-bradford.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

It's difficult to judge the width in those pics, but the different angling is clear.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Rams' horns are the headgear equivalent of sleeve stripes. Good idea once upon a time, but they just plain don't work on modern equipment.

42780_02_lg.jpg

The horn decals have to be cut, truncated and interrupted to fit around the facemask and stripe. Hideous.

Either go back to paint, or re-work the horns so the curve is shorter and can actually fit on a helmet.

I will never understand why they don't take the facemask off, apply the horn decal, then re-attach the facemask. So simple and easy and it makes the helmet look so much better.

It's not an issue with the Revo helmets, i've noticed...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I've never liked the "high horns" you sometimes see on teams called the Rams but it seems it might be easier with today's helmets. With that said, probably no design that covers as much of the helmet is going to be easy period.

helmet.png

See, I love those. And the textured horns are so much more interesting than the smooth arcs.

1267d8a8-d63a-11de-997c-001cc4c03286.image.jpg

Wow, where'd they get '49 Rams helmets? :D

LA-49.jpg

I like the textured look as well but favor the full horns. Best of both worlds at far left below:

rams%20decals%20helmets%20small.jpg

Good catch. Hadn't seen any highlights or pics from this game until I saw this thread and there's definitely a difference. It's more evident in the video highlights but Sammy B. was wearing the thinner horns. The pic at right is from last year. The new ones look kinda goofy.

121084028_extra_large.jpgsam-bradford.jpg

Hopefully it is just a case of the equipment manager making a mistake, and he will have it corrected sometime soon, because the bottom helmet looks so much better than the top helmet.

RS-1.png?t=1312302854Bruins.png?t=1312302924Pats3.png?t=1312302963Cel.png?t=1312303005

They could be trying out a new decal vendor, it is still the preseason after all - and with the number of teams having decal problems (falling off, tearing) the last couple years as well as the new revo helmets, etc.. it would make sense potetially.

Or who knows maybe they let the towel boy put them on this time - Todd Hewitt used to every helmet himself to ensure they were right - never shoulda fired that dude!!!

canada.png

I honeslty don't know why they're not painted on; they look great exectuted right but otherwise the whole concept is broken.

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

Archived