St. Louis Rams horns

apeman33

4761626.jpg

That is too funny! chuckle.gif

I refuse to believe that with today's technology they can't get that angular front-look back like on the pre-Prothro Ram helmet in the Roman Gabriel photo

As I said in my other post these are painted on - hey, back then (until maybe 1968 or 1969) even the "white" helmets weren't really white and were painted white over the odd off-white natural color of the plastic. For the Rams Riddell painted the helmets white first, then painted them blue on top of it. Some of the helmets when they returned to the yellow horns in '73 were still painted on - they painted them yellow, then blue on top of it. However, by about '75 most of the helmets switched to the impregnated blue (which was really more of a navy blue) shell and the horns became decals.

Check out this 1973 Riddell (according to the text it was issued to the team but not game worn - must have been in the equipment room and not even issued to a player given the condition) from Helmet Hut's collection - it was a white shell painted with yellow horns and then painted blue:

Rams1.jpgrams2.jpg

To really make the new shells look good with the horns maybe they need to go back to painting the horns on instead of using decals.

2165315.jpg

4761626.jpg

I refuse to believe that with today's technology they can't get that angular front-look back like on the pre-Prothro Ram helmet in the Roman Gabriel photo

As I said in my other post these are painted on - hey, back then (until maybe 1968 or 1969) even the "white" helmets weren't really white and were painted white over the odd off-white natural color of the plastic. For the Rams Riddell painted the helmets white first, then painted them blue on top of it. Some of the helmets when they returned to the yellow horns in '73 were still painted on - they painted them yellow, then blue on top of it. However, by about '75 most of the helmets switched to the impregnated blue (which was really more of a navy blue) shell and the horns became decals.

Check out this 1973 Riddell (according to the text it was issued to the team but not game worn - must have been in the equipment room and not even issued to a player given the condition) from Helmet Hut's collection - it was a white shell painted with yellow horns and then painted blue:

To really make the new shells look good with the horns maybe they need to go back to painting the horns on instead of using decals.

John, I caught what you said the 1st time around ...... Whatever it was they were doing back in that 1970 era they should go back to doing now. If they can't get the old look with decals why not have it done by the manufacturer? The Oregon Ducks BCS Championship helmet must have been done in manufacturing rather than applying a mere decal, yes?

new-oregon-ducks-football-uniforms-161.jpg

The 1st year of the merger in 1970 it was the LA RAMS who were the BILLS first ever inter-conference NFL home opponent...... My Dad took me to that game rather than the home opener at my choice and those LA uniforms and helmets looked so brilliant in person. LA won 19-0 but it was still a great to be there seeing us playing an elite NFL team like the Rams.

Now ... They need to get the ram horns closer together in the very front-centre of the helmet and get that angular look agaom as it goes towards the back, just as it was on Roman Gabriel's ... Seeming Sam's helmet from the weekend further cheapened the mystique of how that helmet design used to be and could be once again.

Would love to see the Rams use those as their throwbacks ...

IMO, the royal blue / bright yellow hasn't been out of circulation long enough to be considered a 'throwback'

They were worn for 2 games back in 2009 for the 10th anniversary of the Super Bowl victory.

And 2 in 2010 for jersey sales.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

2165315.jpg

4761626.jpg

John, I caught what you said the 1st time around ...... Whatever it was they were doing back in that 1970 era they should go back to doing now. If they can't get the old look with decals why not have it done by the manufacturer? The Oregon Ducks BCS Championship helmet must have been done in manufacturing rather than applying a mere decal, yes?

new-oregon-ducks-football-uniforms-161.jpg

The 1st year of the merger in 1970 it was the LA RAMS who were the BILLS first ever inter-conference NFL home opponent...... My Dad took me to that game rather than the home opener at my choice and those LA uniforms and helmets looked so brilliant in person. LA won 19-0 but it was still a great to be there seeing us playing an elite NFL team like the Rams.

Now ... They need to get the ram horns closer together in the very front-centre of the helmet and get that angular look agaom as it goes towards the back, just as it was on Roman Gabriel's ... Seeming Sam's helmet from the weekend further cheapened the mystique of how that helmet design used to be and could be once again.

The Oregon helmets (and most, if not all other patterned helmets) are done using a dip process.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

See, I love those. And the textured horns are so much more interesting than the smooth arcs.

1267d8a8-d63a-11de-997c-001cc4c03286.image.jpg

I bet that could work, but there's something really ascetically pleasing about the smooth horns. I've always loved the Rams' helmets. One of the best in football for my money. I've always loved helmet decals/logos that span across large parts of the helmet (i.e. Rams, Vikings, Eagles, etc.) I still think the horns could work on the newer helmets if they tried, I just don't think they are trying to make it work. They seem to be doing exactly what you were mentioning before....which kind of ruins the look.

Archived