Does the NFL need a new logo?

BrandMooreArt

http://www.logodesignworks.com/blog/does-the-nfl-need-a-new-logo-design

read first then, my response below. . .

while i respect the view enough of the writer, and admire the brass of anyone taking on an article which deals in rebranding the NFL, this article just dosnt deliver. the writer has missed some key points about branding that id like to adress here.

it seems that most organizations update their corporate logo designs regularly in order to remain relevant to their fans and audiences. However, some sports organizations seem determined to hold onto their old school logo designs even when it goes against all good sense to do so. We know it seems un-American to criticize football, but one of these organizations is the NFL.

yes, a lot of brands change their identity. but theres a reason why this step is taken. its because their identities style has become dated, they want to reposition themselves in the market (if you're #1 or #2 in your industry theres no need to. its the competitors below that need to catch up), or because their brand allows them to follow the trends. i also agree that some hang on to their identities too long, but thats certainly not with the case with the NFL, its a fairly recent update to a logo that was already quite well designed (visible, distinctive, color, simple, timeless) and comes with a ton of brand equity (recognizable and a sense of pride and history). the update made it even more meaningful and simple with the count of the stars and typeface.

These are all important advantages, but they do not keep the NFL logo from feeling a little stale after too many years on t-shirts and television screens

this is mostly a matter of personal taste and that is no reason to change a logo which is well designed, modern, timeless, and works on all levels. i dont think it is a stale logo, i think it does what it need to do, and is what it needs to be. the applications of the logo would help drown out any staleness. it dosnt mean you do something completely different every year, but thats where you can definitely follow the trends and take more risk. the supporting graphics and animations around the logo are just as important as that mark itself. 1 area that would help its application "staleness" is the TV game graphics. thats another post all together.

No one will be able to agree on a silhouette, making this option next to impossible to execute.

that would totally dilute the distinctiveness and uniqueness of the mark. why does every pro mark need to have a silhouette? its those other logos that need to change before the NFL. its not just about choosing a player, thats easy. its the idea of looking like everyone else that wouldnt work.

Another suggestion is that the NFL keep the shield in some form, but make updates. The NFL has updated their shield before, but never in a way that changed its essential shape or nature. Going this route would allow them to keep a recognizable brand while creating an image that would take them into the future.

everyone does a shield. i do a lot of football logos, people love a shield. the NFL is the only one that has one that is really unique and memorable. its the fine characteristics of the points that make it memorable.

Last, some people think that the logo design should go in an entirely new direction. They could use another abstract logo or use one of the many symbols associated with football. The sky is literally the limit

i dont see the point of another secondary logo.. the NFL logo is already a sort of secondary logo that is applied to team apparel/logos or attached with ESPN, MNF, CBS, etc. does there really need to be a secondary logo for that? and ditching what they have for a cliche' is definitely not the answer. thats as bad as the silhouette idea.

However, we could keep these symbols while designing an entirely new logo. We also could maintain a feeling of patriotism without resorting to the obvious.

im all for not doing the obvious, but that seems to be what he is suggesting throughout the article. so, we want to change the American cliche's around, but go with football cliche's?

i wont even address the last paragraph. i feel the exact opposite. the other professional and semi-pro leagues needs to catch up to the NFL

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I like the NFL logo it is one of the most recognizable logos in North America. It may not be the best logo or design but alot of meh logos have become classics that shouldn't be changed in the near future.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

I was waiting for a concept to be lobbed out there that solved all these "issues" with the NFL logo. But then nothing. As you have all stated, there is nothing wrong with the NFL logo. It might not have been designed yesterday, but why does that automatically make it stale? I actually think the NFL logo feels the opposite of stale. But you know what they say....opinions are like :censored: , everyone has one, and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.

I actually think that their first one, the jailhouse one, was pretty cool.

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

The only bad part of the current NFL logo is that they got rid of the curly L. Otherwise it is an iconic logo.

i think the typeface is much better now. the L looked out of place because it didnt share any of it characteristics with the other 2 letters. they all had rounded serifs, but the curl and "dot" was just doing its own thing. all the letters seemed to me to be too old. the smooth corners and L is reminiscent of wood cut type which is more of a novelty. the new slab serif is modern, strong, and consistent and send the right message of "pride" and "professional".

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

The article also fails to mention that there are plenty of corporations who have long-lasting, iconic brands that haven't been touched in years. To update a logo simply for the sake of updating it is ludicrous. That's like saying McDonald's should ditch the golden arches just because they've been using it for a long time. Ridiculous logic.

The writer needs to consider that the best brands evolve there brand identity. There was a Budweiser advert a while back that showed the development of the Bud bottle overtime. Not one bottle was very different from the one next to it. That's what the NFL has done well. Slow evolution of an effective brand.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I've always compared redesigning the NFL, NBA, MLB and the NHL (loved the previous version) to spending a lot of money and time redesigning a basement storage area... As fans of sports, we don't cheer for the NFL shield nor have any "tribal" brand affinity to it. It's there, it's serviceable and it works... you can walk the streets of any major American or Canadian city and would be lucky to run into a fan anywhere sporting a standalone league logo... it's just not a factor in the larger scale of those sports brands. You could argue start-up leagues like the WNBA or the D-League or now the EFLI might want to push their league marks hard since they are starting from a zero baseline of recognition but overall, it really is putting way too much effort into a limited return... IMO>

Archived