Possible Akron Aeros Rebrand

bjf1377

I agree. I'm playing on them in MLB 2K10 and their wordmarks make me gag.

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

WHAT?! No "Akron Indians"?

Anyway, I say keep the Aeros name. But it would've been nice to see them named after their parent club.

We already have the Kingston Indians, and to be honest that's a tacky trend. Minor League clubs should be allowed to have their own identities.

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

Anyway, I say keep the Aeros name. But it would've been nice to see them named after their parent club.

We already have the Kingston Indians, and to be honest that's a tacky trend. Minor League clubs should be allowed to have their own identities.

I agree, Akron Indians would be pretty dumb. Keep it the Aeros just redesign everything. I lived in Akron for about 4 years, only went to a few games but I've never heard any negativity towards the name or logos. I mean it's minor league baseball, so I don't expect much. Also in a league with the Erie Seawolves any log will look good. Maybe they are looking to increase revenue or attendance, but really it's difficult because the Zips have pretty much taken control the 330 market. I understand different sports, different seasons, but it's tough for people to get excited for minor league baseball when you have National and Conference Championships being won right across the street on a regular basis.

I agree, Akron Indians would be pretty dumb. Keep it the Aeros just redesign everything. I lived in Akron for about 4 years, only went to a few games but I've never heard any negativity towards the name or logos. I mean it's minor league baseball, so I don't expect much. Also in a league with the Erie Seawolves any log will look good. Maybe they are looking to increase revenue or attendance, but really it's difficult because the Zips have pretty much taken control the 330 market. I understand different sports, different seasons, but it's tough for people to get excited for minor league baseball when you have National and Conference Championships being won right across the street on a regular basis.

Except for those in the eastern part of the 330. ^_^

And regular basis, eh? You mean soccer, which will always be a niche sport (unfortunately) in this country?

6fQjS3M.png

I personally chose Akron Vulcans cause there's at least some history there:

akronvulcans1-t.jpg

320x240.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I remember when they chose Blast as their first name and changed it to Aeros to be a bit more sympathetic to the Akron area teacher that was killed in space. Something that reflects the area would be great, like Vulcans or Bombed Out Car Fires.

OK, no matter what I can agree that this teams needs a new identity, whether the name changes or not.

Aeros can work, but maybe with a simplified logo based around planes & jets.

Rubber Ducks is a creative one too, that can also lead to a broader range of merch sales, and possibly even a line of local little league teams.

I personally chose Akron Vulcans cause there's at least some history there:

akronvulcans1-t.jpg

Fascinating. The Akron Vulcans only played four games in the fall of 1967, by which time that certain television show was already well in the public consciousness. This cover was from March of that year:

TV_Guide_04March1967_cover.jpg

I know there's a rubber connection to the name, but could this also have been the first attempt to tie into a science-fiction franchise?

Akron also has this gem, on Main Street:

2411837110_921eb7e85e.jpg

Seems like a natural fit to me.

Archived