What should replace Fighting Sioux?

winghaz

I've run this as a poll before, but now I want to hear what you want and why. What nickname should the University of North Dakota pick to replace the Fighting Sioux?

I've offered my opinions. My first choice is Roughriders and second choice is Fighting Norse. What are your picks and why?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seadragon, I like where you're going. But you can just hear opponents of the Fighting Pike say they're playing the Fighting Puke. Would Fighting Northerns work for you?

(By the way, the state fish really should be the walleye instead of the northern. The walleye is much more popular, but northern does sound better.)

I've run this as a poll before, but now I want to hear what you want and why. What nickname should the University of North Dakota pick to replace the Fighting Sioux?

I've offered my opinions. My first choice is Roughriders and second choice is Fighting Norse. What are your picks and why?

I don't think suggestions could get much better than Roughriders or Fighting Norse.

It's been discussed before, but I'm not sure whether the university wants to step on the toes of Red River High School, which is also the Roughriders.

The Fighting Norse idea, though, would be perfect. Great name tied to regional ethnic heritage, great potential for strong imagery, and it would -- to the best of my knowledge -- be one of a kind.

i dont know what the mens teams could be called but the womens team can be called the Fighting Sue

Fighting Sue is what immediately came to my mind. With men's teams they could add a new tradition, using "A Boy Named Sue" in some fashion in the team's marketing.

Are you suggesting that they should cash in on this great idea?

I can haz sig?

I never really understood North Dakota's fascination with the Rough Riders. They were formed mostly in Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas and also mostly fought in the south. Theodore Roosevelt was born in New York, NY and died in Oyster Bay, NY. His only connection to ND was his cattle ranch in Medora and his quick stint as a "cowboy". In fact, he tucked his tail between his legs and ran back to the city life of New York after the brutal winter of 1886. In my opinion, a so-called cowboy running back to his comfy city life is a smack in the face of the hard working Dakota farmers that don't have the riches to run when the weather gets rough.

They will always be the Fighting Sioux in my heart.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Seadragon, I like where you're going. But you can just hear opponents of the Fighting Pike say they're playing the Fighting Puke. Would Fighting Northerns work for you?

(By the way, the state fish really should be the walleye instead of the northern. The walleye is much more popular, but northern does sound better.)

I get the concern about the nickname, but I don't think Fighting Northerns would work. It sounds overly complicated for a nickname. People would wonder what the hell is a Fighting Northern. Plus, how can you really make that nickname work in terms of a logo and a mascot... in other words, how can someone personify a Fighting Northern?

Fighting Puke does sound funnny... Heck, I bet you there are some people in Big Sky country (Since UND is joining the Big Sky next season) are possibly preparing some insults to fling UND's way. :P

Crazy Horses.

/U MAD NCAA?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Why not just stay put with "University of North Dakota?" Sports franchises around the world are known by the official name instead and have somewhat unofficial nicknames. They should just be called North Dakota and the fanbase can continue to support them as the Fighting Sioux

zPfTNXq_sm_zpsu3fsswbz.jpg 8DRvuUI_sm_zpsthbhbnio.jpg

Maurer_icons-02_zps7dcbd790.png Maurer_icons-01_zpsfee43a9b.png

Why not just stay put with "University of North Dakota?" Sports franchises around the world are known by the official name instead and have somewhat unofficial nicknames. They should just be called North Dakota and the fanbase can continue to support them as the Fighting Sioux

Short of any better alternatives, I've always liked this idea. Now, though, i'm really into this Fighting Norse idea. The university celebrates Norwegian culture just as much, if not more, than American Indian culture. It has long had a grant Norwegian transfer program. If you look at the UND home page right now, it has a piece discussing reaction on campus to the Norwegian shootings from a few months back. This might seem like a good opportunity to tap into a different portion of the university's heritage.

Archived