2011-12 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

DCDuck

Oh, Will Barton...

Seriously, the only reason Memphis made the NCAA Tournament at all last season was because C-USA absolutely refuses to be a halfway decent basketball league. Southern Miss, Marshall and UCF evidently all have some sort of moral opposition to playing good basketball for an entire season.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Realignment based solely on football (as if football is the only college sport that matters :rolleyes: ) will eventually ruin college basketball. They're tearing up the Big East, adding TCU to the Big 12, rewriting Big 10 rivalries, and combining C-USA with the Mountain West Conference (as if that makes sense geographically).

These schools do take basketball into consideration when they make these ridiculous moves, right?

25yzwqg.png

I'm not quite sure how adding TCU to the Big XII is nuking old basketball rivalries. If anything, it'll rekindle some of them. Everybody in the Big Ten is still going to play everybody, just some less often than others. And the MWC-USA, which again is likely going to simply be an agreement to hold a mid-major Super Bowl during Conference Championship weekend, is only for football.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The two teams I follow, Buffalo and Marquette, are both looking to have a good year next year. UB has never played in the NCAA Tournament before and I think this is their year to win the MAC. Watch out for Javon McCrea.

Woah! You think I'm Cody? My name is Carl Scott Simone and we just happen to share a birthday. BIG DEAL.

The two teams I follow, Buffalo and Marquette, are both looking to have a good year next year. UB has never played in the NCAA Tournament before and I think this is their year to win the MAC. Watch out for Javon McCrea.

Buffalo is also one of six teams who have been playing D-1 basketball for over 100 years but have never made the NCAA Tournament.

Can anyone name the other five?

Buffalo is also one of six teams who have been playing D-1 basketball for over 100 years but have never made the NCAA Tournament.

Can anyone name the other five?

Hmm, Northwestern's obvious, I'll also go with Dartmouth. Yeah, that's all I can think of right now

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

I'm really excited to watch super sophomores Perry Jones, Harrison Barnes, Terrence Jones, and Jared Sullinger. There are a bunch of great freshman this year as well. Kentucky is going to be a force this year with freshman Anthony Davis, Michael Gilchrist, Marquise Teague and Kyle Wiltjer. Baylor is going to be very exciting this year, tons of talent. The true frosh duo of Quincy Miller and Duece Bello is going to be fun to watch, and Pre-season Big XII P.O.Y. Perry Jones III is a beast. This is going to be a great year of college basketball

P.J. Hairston will dominate frontcourt. Harrison Barnes and Kendall Marshall will run a good offense reminiscent of the Frasor/Lawson - Hansbrough one. Kentucky will be the team to beat come tourney time.

bannernigga3-1.jpeg

Click the Banner - Join the Movement!

Bannertop.jpeg

P.J. Hairston will dominate frontcourt. Harrison Barnes and Kendall Marshall will run a good offense reminiscent of the Frasor/Lawson - Hansbrough one. Kentucky will be the team to beat come tourney time.

I agree, once all those freshman get some games under their belt, they're gonna be scary.

Kentucky will be the team to beat come tourney time.

I disagree. John Calipari's teams generally do terribly at the foul line and it has come back to haunt them on many occasions in the tournament (National Championship game in 2008 comes immediately to mind). Even last season, the poor free throw shooting doomed them in a narrow loss to Connecticut. Until John Calipari makes free throw shooting more of a priority, I'll continue to discount their chances of winning the whole thing.

ESPN/USA Today Top 25

1. North Carolina

2. Kentucky

3. Ohio State

4. Connecticut

5. Syracuse

6. Duke

7. Vanderbilt

8. Louisville

9. Memphis

10. Florida

11. Pittsburgh

12. Baylor

13. Kansas

14. Wisconsin

15. Xavier

16. Arizona

17. Alabama

18. Michigan

19. Texas A&M

20. UCLA

21. Marquette

22. Cincinnati

23. Gonzaga

24. California

25. Missouri

ESPN/USA Today Top 25

1. North Carolina

2. Kentucky

3. Ohio State

4. Connecticut

5. Syracuse

6. Duke

7. Vanderbilt

8. Louisville

9. Memphis

10. Florida

11. Pittsburgh

12. Baylor

13. Kansas

14. Wisconsin

15. Xavier

16. Arizona

17. Alabama

18. Michigan

19. Texas A&M

20. UCLA

21. Marquette

22. Cincinnati

23. Gonzaga

24. California

25. Missouri

YES! Now don't disappoint, Bearcats.

25yzwqg.png

ESPN/USA Today Top 25

1. North Carolina

2. Kentucky

3. Ohio State

4. Connecticut

5. Syracuse

6. Duke

7. Vanderbilt

8. Louisville

9. Memphis

10. Florida

11. Pittsburgh

12. Baylor

13. Kansas

14. Wisconsin

15. Xavier

16. Arizona

17. Alabama

18. Michigan

19. Texas A&M

20. UCLA

21. Marquette

22. Cincinnati

23. Gonzaga

24. California

25. Missouri

Day made.

bannernigga3-1.jpeg

Click the Banner - Join the Movement!

Bannertop.jpeg

The Orange starting off the season at #5 sounds about right. We'll look good all season with a bit of a cold stretch in January/February then look amazing heading into the Big East tournament and get like a 1-3 seed for the NCAA Tournament then lose in the Sweet 16 when all the expectations are there to win it all as usual :P

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

ESPN/USA Today Top 25

9. Memphis

13. Kansas

18. Michigan

24. California

Memphis - too high

Kansas - too high

Michigan - too low

California - wtf?

On the subject of UNC being ranked no. 1, it's a pretty obvious choice.

ESPN/USA Today Top 25

9. Memphis

13. Kansas

18. Michigan

24. California

Memphis - too high

Kansas - too high

Michigan - too low

California - wtf?

I think the most absurd thing was St. John's getting 11 votes, losing 11 seniors (or 8 I forget which) and having 3 incoming freshman ruled ineligible be damned. I mean, I'm glad St. John's is back to being relevant in the Big East, but come on

oEQ0ySg.png

ESPN/USA Today Top 25

9. Memphis

13. Kansas

18. Michigan

24. California

Memphis - too high

Kansas - too high

Michigan - too low

California - wtf?

I think the most absurd thing was St. John's getting 11 votes, losing 11 seniors (or 8 I forget which) and having 3 incoming freshman ruled ineligible be damned. I mean, I'm glad St. John's is back to being relevant in the Big East, but come on

I love my Rams but I think the fact that we got four votes is also pretty high on the absurd-o-meter. Drexel should be the favorites in the Colonial and yet they somehow only got two votes. Ah well.

Archived