2011-12 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

DCDuck

Duke is getting mollywocked in Columbus. 73-50 Ohio State with about six minutes left. I knew this wasn't one of Duke's stronger teams and figured Ohio State would beat them, but didn't expect it to be so lopsided.

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, college football could actually learn a few things from college basketball. If we can't have a playoff, I'd at least like to see early-season neutral site tournaments (if there's a decent way to pull that off) or maybe a Bracket Busters type thing for teams on the BCS bubble.

I also would like scheduling FCS teams to be banned. That crap deprives us all of potential marquee matchups in such a short season, doesn't really help either team (beyond the paycheck that the FCS school gets), and allows some teams to live off their preseason ranking and coast until conference play. Boise State/Georgia and Oregon/LSU were great games... it's a damn shame we can't have more matchups like that early in the season. Basketball can get away with scheduling cupcakes because their season is longer and they also play tough opponents OOC. In football, the cupcakes only ensure that the regular season is mostly unwatchable until conference play.

Slightly O/T here, but banning the scheduling of FCS teams would take away huge sums of money from FCS programs.

6fQjS3M.png

Meanwhile, LMU has itself its second victory over a top 25, knocking off Saint Louis.

We might have a shot at something this year!

You may want to temper that excitement. I mean, you lost to Harvard, and the Selection Committee doesn't exactly approve to losing to teams in the Ivy League.

LvZYtbZ.png

Meanwhile, LMU has itself its second victory over a top 25, knocking off Saint Louis.

We might have a shot at something this year!

You may want to temper that excitement. I mean, you lost to Harvard, and the Selection Committee doesn't exactly approve to losing to teams in the Ivy League.

Harvard is 6-0, and ranked.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

FTFY

They should be, though. Wins over Florida State and UCF is more than a lot of teams that are currently ranked can say.

Huh. Well, in one poll I saw they were. But yes they should, even though it is good to see that they're getting a lot of votes for the polls, even thought they're just shy of enough to be ranked.

In other news, the Pac-12 sucks this year. Oregon State, Stanford and Cal may be the only teams that get in the tourney.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

FTFY

They should be, though. Wins over Florida State and UCF is more than a lot of teams that are currently ranked can say.

Huh. Well, in one poll I saw they were. But yes they should, even though it is good to see that they're getting a lot of votes for the polls, even thought they're just shy of enough to be ranked.

In other news, the Pac-12 sucks this year. Oregon State, Stanford and Cal may be the only teams that get in the

tourney.

Don't forget AZ and Washington. I ultimately think it will eventually come down to Cal and Zona for the PAC12 this year.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

FTFY

In other news, the Pac-12 sucks this year. Oregon State, Stanford and Cal may be the only teams that get in the

tourney.

Don't forget AZ and Washington. I ultimately think it will eventually come down to Cal and Zona for the PAC12 this year.

I don't think they get in. Washington is probably going to lose 11 games or so, and AZ has not exactly looked impressive. If I were to pick one, I would say AZ has a better chance because of their SOS.

Oregon State isn't going anywhere. Their win over Texas is more about how mediocre Texas is this season than how good Oregon State is.

Three bids out of the Pac-12 are California, Arizona and Washington.

What happened to the Great Alaskan Shootout tournament? That used to be quite big, but when I was flipping channels last weekend, it was being covered worse than what I've seen from broadcasted high school events. And it wasn't exactly the star-studded schools participating....

This year's participants included UC-Irvine, Central Michigan, Dartmouth, Murray State, New Mexico State, San Francisco, Southern Miss, and the host Alaska-Anchorage.

What happened to the Great Alaskan Shootout tournament? That used to be quite big, but when I was flipping channels last weekend, it was being covered worse than what I've seen from broadcasted high school events. And it wasn't exactly the star-studded schools participating....

This year's participants included UC-Irvine, Central Michigan, Dartmouth, Murray State, New Mexico State, San Francisco, Southern Miss, and the host Alaska-Anchorage.

ESPN didn't buy control about that one.

At least they're still alive, unlike the Rainbow Classic.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Notable scores today:

North Carolina rebounds to beat Wisconsin 60-57

UNLV beats UCSB in a crazy 2OT game 94-88

Marshall goes down to Ohio 70-68, for it's first loss of the year

A day after creaming Minnesota, Dayton get DESTROYED by Buffalo (Yes, the MAC team) 84-55

Creighton survives SDSU 85-83

Indiana beats NC State 86-75 to stay undefeated at 7-0

Michigan State beats FSU 65-49, further proving how bad FSU's offense is

Northern Iowa upsets Iowa State at ISU 69-62

Tulane crushes Southern 78-53 to move to 8-0 (yes, you read that correctly)

Minnesota beat Virginia Tech 58-55

And this week on "Why the Pac-12 sucks at basketball":

Colorado loses to Colorado St. 65-64

If Ohio State does not go to Final Four something is wrong

You're not too familiar with Ohio State basketball are you Francis? The correct statement is "if Ohio State manages not to blow this and actually make the Final Four then something is wrong." B) I've learned to never expect much out of a Buckeyes basketball team.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived