LOGOLYMPIAD - Event 1

pollux

We'll start with an easy event to ease you in the contest. The requirement is simple: create a wordmark for a fictional team called the Stars.

• You pick the city, the sport and color set.
  • You must submit the wordmark only, on a two separate backgrounds (one white, one using a dark color from the color set); no logos or uniforms.
  • Do not write any justification for the city or colors.

DEADLINE: Monday, October 3rd, 11:59 AM Eastern Time

Reminder

Failure to follow the guidelines could result in your entry being inadvertently (or intentionally) excluded from judging.

Entries must be emailed to logolympiad (@) gmail (dot) com prior to the set deadline. Subject line should be the event number (Ex: Event 1). Once you submit your entry, it is considered final.

Entries must be submitted as .jpg, .gif or .png formats. The file name format of the submission is: event#_yourusername.extension (Ex: event1_pollux.png).

All final entries must be 800x600 pixels with at least 70 pixels of white space at the bottom of the image. This means that your presentation has to fit in a 800x530 pixels window (800 pixels wide by 530 pixels high). I will NOT re-size entries that are not properly done, so make sure it's right.

Do not include your name or any other personal identifiers on your submission. Also, do not watermark your work. I will add a watermark to each entry before they get posted for judging. I will also provide each entry with a number. You are expected to keep the identity of your entry anonymous until the end of the event. If you think you know the identity of another designer, keep it to yourself. Anyone who exposes the identity of themselves or anyone else will be DQ'd.

I will NOT contact you if your entry is wrong, therefore make sure that you comply to these guidelines before submitting your entry.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Sounds like a good one to start off, however I do have one question. When you say you will not contact us if our entry is wrong, does that just mean if we don't follow the guidelines (size, no watermark, etc)? I understand that, but what if, for example, I e-mail the file and it simply doesn't go through?

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Sounds like a good one to start off, however I do have one question. When you say you will not contact us if our entry is wrong, does that just mean if we don't follow the guidelines (size, no watermark, etc)? I understand that, but what if, for example, I e-mail the file and it simply doesn't go through?

Have faith in your email provider. An 800x600 image file should not be bigger than 1Mb in size, so I would highly doubt the file won't go through. I also opened a GMail account for the contest to make sure all entries would get there.

Also, if your email doesn't go through, you should receive a unreachable recipient email, so you simply need to check for one of those if you're unsure your email went through.

Honestly, the issue you raised didn't even cross my mind. As long as you follow the guidelines and send to the correct email address, you should have no problem. Even if you mentioned after the deadline that I did not receive your copy, how can I judge whether or not you had finished it in time?

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Yeah, I figure everything should work just fine. The only reason I was wondering is because I just recently e-mailed a file and found out later that it somehow never attached, I didn't want to chance something not being submitted.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I received a question via a PM and another via email. Once again, I will NOT reply directly to any private communication. So you can ask your questions directly in this thread or the main LOGOLYMPIAD thread and I will answer them there. For the sake of transparency, I will answer both communications here.

Can we add a "TM" (trademark") symbol to our work? Strange enough, I find it makes the logo pop a bit more and says "professional" when that little white spec in the corner is present.

Or does that identify a particular member's artwork after so many events?

The answer is NO. While your work may look more professional with the TM icon, it would lead to possible identification of the member after a number of events.

These were done in powerpoint. I unfortunately don't know how to put them on the size canvas you want. If these are going to be desqualified for that reason, please let me know how so I can fix that.

Yes, you will be disqualified if you don't submit your artwork in the proper format. You can use several free softwares to complete the task: paint.net, Gimp, Inkscape... There is simply no excuse to fail following the guidelines I have provided to submit your request. Four things to remember:

• The filename and its extension
  • The format of the image
  • The subject of the email
  • No personal identification

The reminder is posted in the main LOGOLYMPIAD thread, and will be posted in each of the events thread. There is no reason not to follow those guidelines.

I received a question via a PM and another via email. Once again, I will NOT reply directly to any private communication. So you can ask your questions directly in this thread or the main LOGOLYMPIAD thread and I will answer them there. For the sake of transparency, I will answer both communications here.

Can we add a "TM" (trademark") symbol to our work? Strange enough, I find it makes the logo pop a bit more and says "professional" when that little white spec in the corner is present.

Or does that identify a particular member's artwork after so many events?

The answer is NO. While your work may look more professional with the TM icon, it would lead to possible identification of the member after a number of events.

These were done in powerpoint. I unfortunately don't know how to put them on the size canvas you want. If these are going to be desqualified for that reason, please let me know how so I can fix that.

Yes, you will be disqualified if you don't submit your artwork in the proper format. You can use several free softwares to complete the task: paint.net, Gimp, Inkscape... There is simply no excuse to fail following the guidelines I have provided to submit your request. Four things to remember:

• The filename and its extension
  • The format of the image
  • The subject of the email
  • No personal identification

The reminder is posted in the main LOGOLYMPIAD thread, and will be posted in each of the events thread. There is no reason not to follow those guidelines.

Alright. Thanks, Pollux. Is it alright if I resubmit mine later today?

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

Alright. Thanks, Pollux. Is it alright if I resubmit mine later today?

Yes. Make sure to follow the rules for submission.

These were done in powerpoint. I unfortunately don't know how to put them on the size canvas you want.

When saving a powerpoint file, you have an option to pick the file type in "Save As", pick OTHERS, then JPEG.

You can then open your file in Microsoft Office Picture Manager. under edit pictures, you have the Crop and the resize features that should do the work.

I do this all the time at work.

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

QUESTION: why do we need to pick a Sport if it's only a wordmark and it's fictional? And how will we tell you what sport it is, it's not a logo, so there should be no graphical element, other than type, right?

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

QUESTION: why do we need to pick a Sport if it's only a wordmark and it's fictional? And how will we tell you what sport it is, it's not a logo, so there should be no graphical element, other than type, right?

Patterns could be applied on the letters to hint at a particular sport, for instance. While a wordmark is not a logo, there can be a little bit more graphical elements than only letters. The trick is to incorporate them so that they go with the flow of the wordmark.

All final entries must be 800x600 pixels with at least 70 pixels of white space at the bottom of the image. This means that your presentation has to fit in a 800x530 pixels window (800 pixels wide by 530 pixels high). I will NOT re-size entries that are not properly done, so make sure it's right.

I will stress this point once again. Please leave at least 70 pixels of white space at the bottom of the image so that I can put the ID of the contest as well as your unique participant ID.

For example, this is an entry from 2006:

event14entry1.gif

Have faith in your email provider. An 800x600 image file should not be bigger than 1Mb in size, so I would highly doubt the file won't go through. I also opened a GMail account for the contest to make sure all entries would get there.

Also, if your email doesn't go through, you should receive a unreachable recipient email, so you simply need to check for one of those if you're unsure your email went through.

Honestly, the issue you raised didn't even cross my mind. As long as you follow the guidelines and send to the correct email address, you should have no problem. Even if you mentioned after the deadline that I did not receive your copy, how can I judge whether or not you had finished it in time?

You say you won't contact us if our logo is wrong or whatnot. But as far as receiving the logo, couldn't you maybe just post who has successfully submitted their work? I'm not sure which contest it was, but the judge/creator kept the thread updated with "I have received submissions from the following members..."

I know it says to have the wordmark on white and a dark color, but does the wordmark need to be exactly the same on each presentation or can we change the colors/add an outline to make it work better on one?

Also, do you want them submitted on a plain background or is it fine to use the sort of faux-mesh pattern that i know a lot of people use to make the presentation a little nicer?

You say you won't contact us if our logo is wrong or whatnot. But as far as receiving the logo, couldn't you maybe just post who has successfully submitted their work? I'm not sure which contest it was, but the judge/creator kept the thread updated with "I have received submissions from the following members..."

GoNordiques is correct. It would lead to a certain bias towards voting. Anonymous entries prevent this. Again, it is not hard to send one email with an attached file.

I know it says to have the wordmark on white and a dark color, but does the wordmark need to be exactly the same on each presentation or can we change the colors/add an outline to make it work better on one?

Also, do you want them submitted on a plain background or is it fine to use the sort of faux-mesh pattern that i know a lot of people use to make the presentation a little nicer?

The wordmark may differ color-wise, or you can add an outline on the wordmark for the dark background.

Entries have to be submitted on plain backgrounds. No patterns of any sort will be accepted for the background, as it would constitute a personal identification for your work.

Since this is the first event, I am lenient towards the wrong entries I am receiving and I am posting the issues I see to make sure everyone don't do the same mistakes.

Your entire submission MUST fit onto the 800x600 template. This means that for event 1, both wordmarks have to appear on the SAME template. You can divide the space horizontally, vertically, diagonally, star-shape like if you want, I don't care. BUT only 1 file.

I will allow the contestant to correct this situation, but from event 2 onwards, I will not bother reposting the same thing over and over again. You are responsible for your entry, make it right the first time!

Perhaps, pollux, for those who want confirmation, you can set up an auto-reply so that all entrants receive a standard out of office/entry received reply. That way they know you got it and also so you don't have to stuff around too much.

Just an idea to stop these silly questions once and for all.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Perhaps, pollux, for those who want confirmation, you can set up an auto-reply so that all entrants receive a standard out of office/entry received reply. That way they know you got it and also so you don't have to stuff around too much.

Just an idea to stop these silly questions once and for all.

This would create another potential issue, where people would contact me directly if they don't receive the notification. Some of the entries I have received went directly to the spam folder, but I don't know why, as they were correctly identified. Therefore the notification would not have been sent.

I check my email regularly, both the inbox and the spam folder to make sure I get everything.

My advice would be to save a copy of the sent message, or better yet, CC yourself on the email. This way you'll know if everything looks OK. Entries have already started coming through, so I have faith in people being able to use email properly.

Does this have to be a fictional professional team, or could you, say, create a fictional high school name instead of the 'city name?'

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived