What DOES an ideal football uniform look like?

Chawls

Tampa+Bay+Buccaneers+v+Miami+Dolphins+EH0eX5f1Orql.jpg

Here's why:

? unique color for branding (pewter)

? team name collar wordmark, also for branding

? TV numbers and alternate sleeve logo maximizes jersey's arm space. Also increases the prominence of non-primary logo.

? no retro-for-retro-sake grey facemask

? stripes on pants aren't uber-postmodern

? solid color socks

We discuss this all the time. A jersey should have this. Stripes should match here. Socks should look like this. So what DOES the ideal football uniform look like? Very interested in reading others' opinions.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MOST of the time, my opinion is that if you have stripes on your jersey, pants and helmet, make them match. It bugs me the most when the stripes are all different on each element of the jersey. Though there are some exceptions, like the Bills new jersey set, which I think look great imo.

That uniform is nice, but it has one thing I'd change. I don't like uniforms that use the standard varsity block font. I always prefer a unique numeral font.

It's interesting you brought that up because I feel the exact same way, as unique numbers also strengthen team branding. But I couldn't find an appropriate example, save for the Philadelphia Eagles. But I dislike their unique shade of green, even though it technically fits my criteria.

If you guys could post pictures of your ideal uniform, I'd appreciate it.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

MOST of the time, my opinion is that if you have stripes on your jersey, pants and helmet, make them match. It bugs me the most when the stripes are all different on each element of the jersey. Though there are some exceptions, like the Bills new jersey set, which I think look great imo.

agreed.

example, the new orleans saints. get rid of the thick black stripe on the pants and make it match the helmet black/white/black. perfection.

I must say, the block numbers do work for some teams, the Buccaneers are a great example. The Steelers should go BACK to a block font on their uniforms, it's classy looking and I think it adds a touch of toughness to their set. I think it just looks professional and solid. Besides, if we follow the flow of the OP's idea of an ideal jersey, the number font would have to be similar to the wordmark font for the sake of balance and I think that Romulan Falcon or whatever that font is called would look absolutely hideous as a number font. But I love the Buccaneers uniform, I even like the cremecicle uniforms but only the home version with the orange jersey. I have never been, nor ever will be, a fan of white monochrome road uniforms. I think it's a waste of color potential and visual stimulation. I mean, honestly, every NFL team could just invert the colors of the jerseys and pants, depending on what set they are wearing, it's not that hard a concept. I am also not a fan of the "retro-for-retro's-sake" gray facemasks, either.

UniJ

I mean, IMO, these are the best NFL uniforms:

t1-jones.jpg

AAHI011_8x10.jpg

Rex+Grossman+Washington+Redskins+v+New+York+Wj91G1EqhwQl.jpg

bowetd.jpg

Dallas+Clark+09.jpg

darren-mcfadden.jpg

brian-urlacher1.jpg

derek-and-braylon-edwards.jpg

....and ya know....might as well throw both of these in there too st-louis-rams-linebacker-james-laurinaitis-55-returns-an-interception-while-pursued-by-carolina-panthers-wide-receiver-steve-smith-with-12-54-to-play-during-the-first-quarter-of-an-nfl-football-game-sunday-oct-31-2010-in-st-louis-ap-photo-jeff-r-rf_72527.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

there is no 1 solution for every problem. every team is different. do what works for each team. if you're a designer dont make these "template rules" for yourself. you'll never do anything new that way and run the risk of not doing whats proper.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

The "ideal" football uniform is one that the city, university, and/or it's TRUE fans embrace. Anyone outside of the circle is irrelevant.

Examples:

The fans of the Cleveland Browns embrace and love the Browns' logo-less helmet, while others outside of that circle call it outdated. Therefore, to the Browns fans it is their "ideal" uniform.

The fans of the University of Oregon have embraced the Ducks new Nikegon identity and could care less what others think. To them, it is their "ideal" uniform.

There is no right or wrong answer to this question.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

This is an impossible question to answer, because there is no "ideal" football uniform. There may be an "ideal" uniform for a given team at a given time, but that may not resemble anything even close to what is ideal for another team. Really, while there are certainly objective design rules that you can come up with to govern certain elements of the uniform, anyone who says that there's an all-encompassing ideal template or design should simply have their opinions dismissed.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Opinion it is.

For me, Braisher stripes make a pro uniform.

pittsburgh-steelers-vs-green-bay-packers-super-bowl-xlv-123_original_crop_650x440.jpg?1314209530

eric-wright-pick.jpg

Atlanta+Falcons+v+San+Francisco+49ers+dFYlPj-ssG_l.jpg

saints-brees-huddlejpg-6ad6eff9572e5b2f_large.jpg

1086098649_03b230a92d.jpg

There's something about the color/white/color stripe pattern that defines the pros. Ideally, the pants should match the helmet, although I could do without the overly-fussy matchy-matchy on the Packers' jersey.

TEXAS-FOOTBALL.jpg

instantly recognizable logo

unique color

tradition

I think there are a couple of changes that could be made if one wanted: removing TEXAS (although I like it), matching pants stripes (used to have it, but removed it)

TEXAS-FOOTBALL.jpg

unique color

tradition

I think there are a couple of changes that could be made if one wanted: removing TEXAS (although I like it), matching pants stripes (used to have it, but removed it)

I'll see your Longhorns and raise you the Sooners. Both are classic looks. Would love to see a color vs. color Shootout. B)

DeMarco+Murray,+Oklahoma.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

TEXAS-FOOTBALL.jpg

unique color

tradition

I'll see your Longhorns and raise you the Sooners. Both are classic looks. Would love to see a color vs. color Shootout. B)

DeMarco+Murray,+Oklahoma.jpg

Sooners have a great look to be sure, but Texas has a better, more recognizable logo and a unique color scheme. Several of teams over the years have worn the same template and color scheme as OU.

original.jpg

Unique font, pants stripe, logo, and colors. And yes, I'm talking about Oregon State. Basically, if you removed all of the colors and logos from a uniform, and still would be able to tell whose it is, then it's a good uniform.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

original.jpg

Unique font, pants stripe, logo, and colors. And yes, I'm talking about Oregon State. Basically, if you removed all of the colors and logos from a uniform, and still would be able to tell whose it is, then it's a good uniform.

unfortunately, more people would be able to recognize the following as Oregon State than the template in your pic

Jerseys.jpg

No football uniform is perfect. It all depends on the team, their history, the city, and the league they play in or teams they play against. If every team in a start-up league had a White helmet, then a new team came in and built the "most ideal" football uniform, but topped it off with a White dome? That is a major flaw IMO. As the Lightning showed, copying a "perfect" uniform design only elicits derision. What I am saying is that there is no template for being ideal, because being unique is a part of the equation. If you're just asking for our favorite football uniforms, here are some of my favorites throughout history, in no order, and this isn't my full list, I could go on and on.

SanDiego91.gif

Houston75.gif

TampaBay82.gif

NewEngland84.gif

Cincinnati87.gif

Archived