Washington Redskins Logo Redesign

aawagner011

Hey everyone. I've gone ahead and done a side project to break up the repetitive nature of a series by creating my first ever logo. Never done this before, and I've only now felt comfortable enough with the tools to put an actual logo online. The team here is the Washington Redskins. I based my design with inspiration from the current logo, the region, and the debate surrounding the team name.

First off, regardless of what you think of the team name, you can't deny it's a hot topic. I've decided to skip the Redskins caricature and portray the team with a large "W". This makes the logo versatile regardless of the team name. They could be called the Redskins, Warriors, Indians, etc, whatever they please and the logo will still fit the theme. The W obviously stands for Washington, and I decided it made it more versatile than a script R. I have also pulled direct inspiration from the city of Washington, DC flag with the stars and double stripe. Nearly all the other Washington teams have a red/white/blue color scheme so I wanted to make the distinction that while the Skins colors may be different, they are clearly "Washington's team". I think this is especially useful now that Ravens have crowded the region since entering the league. I know they currently play in Landover, but then again, it's less than 10 miles away from downtown DC...

Redrawn feather (only one) that transitions from white to yellow. Double outline throughout entire logo. No "attachment" piece for the feather like the current logo, I never liked that. It features more of a smooth transition from the tip of the feather to the outline.

Thoughts on my first logo attempt?

RedskinsResized.jpg

UPDATED v2:

WashingtonRedskinsv2.png

UPDATED v3:

WashingtonRedskinsv3.png

I will admit I had not thought about the circular double striping. However, I don't know if it would successfully convey the same message that the horizontal stripes do (in the same format as the flag). Also, I am worried that it would clutter the logo up. I would probably have to subtract some superfluous outlines (like the gold one). An excess of outlines has always been a pet peeve of mine.

I am intrigued at the idea of the stripes in the feather, though. That could be cool. Though it would also eliminate some of the visual interest within the circle. Hmm...

And what is it about the feather that makes it seem furry? Just curious.

Thanks for the comment!

To fix the feather, I'd first off eliminate the cuts on the yellow outline. Just have it smooth. Next, I'd give it some bigger cuts or breaks. When I look, I see a tail when it should look more like a feather. To address that I would defiantly taper the feather to the bottom, and try to make the overall shape less rounded.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Hey everyone. I've gone ahead and done a side project to break up the repetitive nature of a series by creating my first ever logo. Never done this before, and I've only now felt comfortable enough with the tools to put an actual logo online. The team here is the Washington Redskins. I based my design with inspiration from the current logo, the region, and the debate surrounding the team name.

First off, regardless of what you think of the team name, you can't deny it's a hot topic. I've decided to skip the Redskins caricature and portray the team with a large "W". This makes the logo versatile regardless of the team name. They could be called the Redskins, Warriors, Indians, etc, whatever they please and the logo will still fit the theme. The W obviously stands for Washington, and I decided it made it more versatile than a script R. I have also pulled direct inspiration from the city of Washington, DC flag with the stars and double stripe. Nearly all the other Washington teams have a red/white/blue color scheme so I wanted to make the distinction that while the Skins colors may be different, they are clearly "Washington's team". I think this is especially useful now that Ravens have crowded the region since entering the league. I know they currently play in Landover, but then again, it's less than 10 miles away from downtown DC...

Redrawn feather (only one) that transitions from white to yellow. Double outline throughout entire logo. No "attachment" piece for the feather like the current logo, I never liked that. It features more of a smooth transition from the tip of the feather to the outline.

RedskinsResized.jpg

Hellon Andrew and how are you !?

I can understand you love for a " W " - it featured in your personal logo, too...

Now back to your logo for the Redskins ... I would ditch a circle entirely to ste0p away from a current Redskins logo concept in a circle and would like to see a feather

nicely connected to a " W ". The three stars can go on each of the top part of the " W " or in a negative spaces and the two stripes

can run across a " W ", too. IMO- that would be a simple and cool exsecution on this logo itself.

As far is the feather itself goes - you might do some adjustments, but IMO it is no big deal at this stage.

Most likely ( when I'm designing my logos ) all the adjustments will fall in place naturally for you.

Anyhow, good luck and would love to see your final product.

Take care.

^ anyone else feel odd reading that?

Anyhow, you definitely need to taper off the yellow and red outline areas of the feather. Seems you just did an offset and let the software do the work there.

On top of that, I would even try to raise the feather a bit to improve on how elongated the logo probably shouldn't be.

Another improvement could possibly be allowing the stars to follow the same curve as the upper portion of the outlying circle.

Other than that- I'd decrease the watermark on your work. It's kind of overpowering.

RedskinsResized.jpg

Wow. Well done. I can imagine bamas rocking these out Southeast and Trinidad. lol [DMV language] :notworthy:

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

RedskinsResized.jpg

Hellon Andrew and how are you !?

I can understand you love for a " W " - it featured in your personal logo, too...

Now back to your logo for the Redskins ... I would ditch a circle entirely to ste0p away from a current Redskins logo concept in a circle and would like to see a feather

nicely connected to a " W ". The three stars can go on each of the top part of the " W " or in a negative spaces and the two stripes

can run across a " W ", too. IMO- that would be a simple and cool exsecution on this logo itself.

As far is the feather itself goes - you might do some adjustments, but IMO it is no big deal at this stage.

Most likely ( when I'm designing my logos ) all the adjustments will fall in place naturally for you.

Anyhow, good luck and would love to see your final product.

Take care.

Has he also inherited $50 million from a Nigerian prince?

Slide the W down and put the stripes on either side of it..

Either keep the stars near the top, or put one in between the stripes on each side of the W, and one in the bottom part of the W (the "^" part.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Should've entered this sucker in the NFL Concept Championships! I like it, pretty clean look. I agree on the feather though, the suggested changes would probably help get rid of that "furry" look.

Unfortunately I haven't paid much attention to the NFL Concept Championships. Is it still open? Might be interested in another team if so! And I will hopefully put out an updated v2 in the next few days.

Should've entered this sucker in the NFL Concept Championships! I like it, pretty clean look. I agree on the feather though, the suggested changes would probably help get rid of that "furry" look.

Unfortunately I haven't paid much attention to the NFL Concept Championships. Is it still open? Might be interested in another team if so! And I will hopefully put out an updated v2 in the next few days.

Yes, open for the time being, we're still looking for 3 more concepts! It's first-come-first-served, just FYI. So yes, submit something! haha.

Ok cool, thanks for the info. Tonight I updated the logo quite a bit (strictly inside the circle). I've altered the position of the W, the location of the stripes, the orientation of the stars, and also added a wee bit of text. Tomorrow I will work on altering the feather to something more suitable. Anymore comments before I continue working on my v2? Thanks for all the critiques and comments, they go a long way and I appreciate them!!

^ anyone else feel odd reading that?

Anyhow, you definitely need to taper off the yellow and red outline areas of the feather. Seems you just did an offset and let the software do the work there.

On top of that, I would even try to raise the feather a bit to improve on how elongated the logo probably shouldn't be.

Another improvement could possibly be allowing the stars to follow the same curve as the upper portion of the outlying circle.

Other than that- I'd decrease the watermark on your work. It's kind of overpowering.

I actually missed this earlier, and only saw it recently. I am looking into just that as to the feathers and will improve them tomorrow. I have implemented your suggestion about the stars into the v2 and it looks great. Really like the effect. I will decrease the watermark as well. Thanks for the advice!

Ok cool, thanks for the info. Tonight I updated the logo quite a bit (strictly inside the circle). I've altered the position of the W, the location of the stripes, the orientation of the stars, and also added a wee bit of text. Tomorrow I will work on altering the feather to something more suitable. Anymore comments before I continue working on my v2? Thanks for all the critiques and comments, they go a long way and I appreciate them!!

I don't know if you look at my comments before?

I see two more possibilities :

1. make feather be in a horizontal position and then insert into a " v v " that part on a " W "

2. enlarge a feather, right at almost the end of a feather's stem make a thick " W " in burgundy/red then below " W " fill the pointy part of the feather in yellow/gold

and place 3 stars and two stripes on that " W " The stripes pattern could be a zig zag, like a wigvam. After all done and finish you might tilt a feather about 20 degrees to the right.

Slide the W down and put the stripes on either side of it..

Either keep the stars near the top, or put one in between the stripes on each side of the W, and one in the bottom part of the W (the "^" part.)

I think altering the position of the stripes and stars totally ruins the concept, which is the DC flag. If you're going to move them, they might as well not be there, because the connection is lost.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Ok how about I post my updated version for you all to decide what looks best before I go ahead and continue work on the feather... This wasn't going to be my full fledged v2 (I wanted to post it after updating both the circle design and feather, but that's ok)

I think this update has more potential than the last version. I believe the orientation of the stars and text pulls it together. The stripes flow into the W as one cohesive unit. I also think it still conveys the ideology that this is clearly Washington's team. I do not think the rearranging of certain objects has detracted from the flag motif.

Here is my v2 (I will update the feather today):

WashingtonRedskinsv2.png

I don't know if you look at my comments before?

I see two more possibilities :

1. make feather be in a horizontal position and then insert into a " v v " that part on a " W "

2. enlarge a feather, right at almost the end of a feather's stem make a thick " W " in burgundy/red then below " W " fill the pointy part of the feather in yellow/gold

and place 3 stars and two stripes on that " W " The stripes pattern could be a zig zag, like a wigvam. After all done and finish you might tilt a feather about 20 degrees to the right.

Hi, I have read your comments, and I quite appreciate the ideas behind them. Though, I will admit my goal with this concept was not to stray too far away from the current identity (circle with feather). I believe getting rid of the Redskin face caricature is a large change on its own, and I want to stay true to the idea I set out to do for this one. Thanks for the ideas, though!

Archived