knnhrvy16

What Are You Reading?

338 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

I did a search, and couldn't find a thread dedicated to what books members were reading, so I started this one up. If there is indeed a book thread, mods, by all means do what you wish - move the thread, delete it, whatever you feel necessary.

Anyways, I'm an avid reader. I'm constantly reading some sort of book, and thought it'd be a neat thread to see what other members may be reading out there.

As for me right now, I'm more of a fan of biographies/autobiographies than of novels, so my personal bookshelf is filled with biographies and autobiographies of political figures, sports figures, and others.

Right now, I'm reading (for the second time) the 1989 autobiography of former Utah Governor Calvin L. Rampton, As I Recall. Rampton was Governor of Utah from 1965-1977 (serving as a Democrat), and is widely considered by many Utahns from both parties (including myself, a Republican) to be the state's greatest Governor. My already-high opinion of Rampton was heightened even further upon reading the book, as I got to understand in further detail his administration, as well as Rampton himself. He was a pretty humorous guy, and his candid recollections of life growing up in the metro Salt Lake area and politics make for a fantastic read. For anyone interested in politics or just history in general, I highly recommend it.

So, what are YOU guys reading?

This book has really changed my opinion of Don Waddell.

9781554907021.jpg

Just finished Walter M. Miller's A Canticle for Liebowitz. That's a very good read that plays off of the theme of history being circular.

I've since jumped to Michael F. Holt's The Fate of Their Country, a book that details the events that led to the outbreak of the American Civil War.

I've since jumped to Michael F. Holt's The Fate of Their Country, a book that details the events that led to the outbreak of the American Civil War.

That sounds really interesting! How far back before the war does it go? Does it touch on the Buchanan and Pierce administrations?

I know there was a thread on this but it's probably fallen well down the list of threads.

Right now I'm reading "Right Honourable Men: The Descent of Canadian Politics from Macdonald to Mulroney" by Michael Bliss.

51K7IEkUKIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And Amazon.ca just told me my new order just shipped which includes:

51mTxB0FI5L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU15_.jpg

"Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City" by Nelson Johnson. It's the true story that inspired the fictionalized TV show.

mossflower-brian-jacques-paperback-cover-art.jpg

Taking it old school to revisit some of these neat stories.

I'm totally getting that boardwalk empire book. Has anyone read any of the game of thrones series?

mossflower-brian-jacques-paperback-cover-art.jpg

Taking it old school to revisit some of these neat stories.

I'm totally getting that boardwalk empire book. Has anyone read any of the game of thrones series?

I'm currently about 50 pages into Book 4, A Feast for Crows. I watched the first season of Game of Thrones all the way through before diving into the books. Loving every page, though even this far into the series it can still be jarring when Martin breaks some of the expected fantasy tropes. For example, heroic characters die left and right in these books.

Most recently finished:

1984-cover.jpg

Currently reading:

looking-backward-edward-bellamy-paperback-cover-art.jpg

I thought it'd be interesting to read those back to back.

516SJwX53qL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

802875-L.jpg

One of the best books on the history of baseball. A great read.

516SJwX53qL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They were filming this in New Orleans not too long ago.

My current reading: Yi-Fu Tuan Space and Place: The Perception of Experience. It is dense as all get out and I only recommend it if you are interested in architecture and humanistic geography. I don't get to read fun things this year, except for the following children's book.

tumblr_ll209bqjPx1qblha7o1_400.jpg

That sounds really interesting! How far back before the war does it go? Does it touch on the Buchanan and Pierce administrations?

It goes back to the Missouri Compromise of 1820 and tracks events all the way up through the election of Lincoln in 1860 and the south's secession in 1860 and 1861, including insights into the individual debates between staying in the union vs secession that were taking place in southern state legislators at the time.

Buchanan and Pierce's presidencies are covered in depth, and I would recommend most Americans look back at those two for a little bit of context. As much as people of various political stripes like to drag Bush or Obama under the bus as "the worst president ever!" none of them contributed to the breakup of the Union. That's a whole new level of failure that Buchanan and Pierce occupy.

1232820dd7a0890e2f69e010._AA240_.L.jpg

I love this book. I want to be a political journalist, and this is making me wonder if there's still a place in the world for Gonzo.

NativeSonDX.jpeg

It goes back to the Missouri Compromise of 1820 and tracks events all the way up through the election of Lincoln in 1860 and the south's secession in 1860 and 1861, including insights into the individual debates between staying in the union vs secession that were taking place in southern state legislators at the time.

Buchanan and Pierce's presidencies are covered in depth, and I would recommend most Americans look back at those two for a little bit of context. As much as people of various political stripes like to drag Bush or Obama under the bus as "the worst president ever!" none of them contributed to the breakup of the Union. That's a whole new level of failure that Buchanan and Pierce occupy.

It always cheesed me off when some left/right wingnut said/says about Bush/Obama that they're the worst president ever. Clearly they don't know much about history.

Buchanan/Pierce : presidents :: '76 Bucs/'08 Lions : football

"If you are as happy entering the presidency as I am in leaving it, then you are truly a happy man."

-James Buchanan to Abraham Lincoln, before Lincoln's inauguration

"I am the last President of the United States!"

-James Buchanan, after the secession of South Carolina

Pretty much explains James Buchanan for you.

1 person likes this

I completely 100% agree with you. Anyone who points at Bush or Obama doesn't know thier history. Buchanan is far and away the worst Chief Executive, and Pierce is behind him. You said it best - the division of a country is a completely different class of failure than other Presidents may have experienced.

Anyways, that sounds like a fantastic read. I'll have to check it out! Thanks for sharing.

Just finished The Shack. I'm still trying to form my opinion on it. It had some interesting pieces but I'm not ready to overhaul my entire faith for it

the-shack.jpg

BrockLesnarDeathClutchFull.jpg

This book allowed me to find out what was really going through his head during his time in the WWE. The revelations he made about the wrestling buisness don't hold anything back. I've also read Jericho's book and he has similar arguments about the WWE politics and lifestyle.

Anyways, that sounds like a fantastic read. I'll have to check it out! Thanks for sharing.

No problem. It's a good read. Holt does a great job of conveying the historical narrative without it coming off like a textbook.

On the topic of the US Civil War I'd like to recommend the Harry Turtledove Timeline-191 series. It's named after Robert E. Lee's lost Special Order 191. It's a series of 11 books that follow an alternate history time line. In actuality Union agents find it, and are able to plan for Lee's invasion of Maryland, resulting in the Union victory at Battle of Antietam. In the alternate time line Confederate agents find the order. The Union Army of the Potomac under George McClellan is caught by surprise. Lee successfully invades Maryland, routes McClellan in Pennsylvania, and captures Philadelphia. The British and French use this as an opportunity to recognize the CSA and force the Union to negotiating table. That's just in the prelude to the first book! The series follows this alternate time line right up to the end of an alternate World War II in 1945.

The best part of it is that while the parallels between alternate and real world events, people, and organizations is very clear the morality we feel so certain about in the real world gets kind of skewed. Not so much that you actually find yourself rooting for the Hitler allegory, but just enough to make you realize that the good/evil divide isn't clear cut.