Expos Rights question

kmccarthy27

I am seeing MLB is starting to sell throwback stuff using the Expos logo, who makes money from that? Do the Washington Nationals because they used to be the Expos? Did MLB itself keep the Expos IP when they sold the team to become the Nationals?

I know the Texas Rangers get a cut of all the old Senators merchandise, but why not the Twins?

Kevin

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am seeing MLB is starting to sell throwback stuff using the Expos logo, who makes money from that? Do the Washington Nationals because they used to be the Expos? Did MLB itself keep the Expos IP when they sold the team to become the Nationals?

I know the Texas Rangers get a cut of all the old Senators merchandise, but why not the Twins?

Kevin

Interesting. I wonder how it worked out with the Texas Rangers and the Nationals since the Nationals use the old Senators pretzel logo.

Also, the Mariners wear and sell old Pilots stuff even though the Pilots are now the Milwaukee Brewers.

Must be an MLB owned thing.

Youppi

The first cross sports mascot. I'm glad he survived.

Wait a minute... What? Cross-sports mascot?

When the Expos left town, Youppi! went to the Canadiens.

Yep....one of the greatest untold sports stories.

About the only thing salvaged from the Expos, knowing MLB killed them systematically for a decade, from the 1994 strike to those fire sales to Puerto Rico.

Doesn't MLB share revenue on merchandising sold outside of the team stadiums? I don't know if the Nats are selling Expos stuff at home, but if it's beign sold by MLB, then everyone is making money on it.

And is the Nats' W exactly identical, or did they put some minor change to a curl into it to claim it's completely different? I remember reading about Clemson adding some minor detail to their tiger paw log that is unique, so if they go after someone for stealing their logo, they know if it's Clemson's logo copied exactly or not by the special mark.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Doesn't MLB share revenue on merchandising sold outside of the team stadiums? I don't know if the Nats are selling Expos stuff at home, but if it's beign sold by MLB, then everyone is making money on it.

And is the Nats' W exactly identical, or did they put some minor change to a curl into it to claim it's completely different? I remember reading about Clemson adding some minor detail to their tiger paw log that is unique, so if they go after someone for stealing their logo, they know if it's Clemson's logo copied exactly or not by the special mark.

Was at Nationals Park this summer, my tour guide told me how the team wants nothing to do with the Expos and that a lot of fans have been fighting to get Dawson's and Carter's names and records disassociated from the team.

The pro shop also had no sign of anything Expos.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Was at Nationals Park this summer, my tour guide told me how the team wants nothing to do with the Expos and that a lot of fans have been fighting to get Dawson's and Carter's names and records disassociated from the team.

Kind of trotting off topic a bit here, but I think those fans fighting to get Dawson and Carter disassociated with the team are extremely misguided. This teams records are from Montreal, they were great players who played for this franchise, they deserve to be honored somewhere. Glad the Nats did the right thing by honoring them in the stadium along with the other Senators/Grays players.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Kind of trotting off topic a bit here, but I think those fans fighting to get Dawson and Carter disassociated with the team are extremely misguided. This teams records are from Montreal, they were great players who played for this franchise, they deserve to be honored somewhere. Glad the Nats did the right thing by honoring them in the stadium along with the other Senators/Grays players.

Remember when it was simple, records simply went with a team. But we've gotten to the point now where teams are moving in to cities that already have established histories with other teams that fans feel are more tied into the new team that the actual team history. The Expos -> Nationals v Nationals/Senators combined history is case and point. The Cleveland Browns and San Jose Earthquakes are the only two teams so far that officially acknowledge this more recent fan/city centric view of history, but it seems to me it's becoming more and more prevalent among cities such as Winnipeg and Washington DC. Generally lately it seems to happen whenever a "new" team, be it a relocated or expansion team, moves into a city where a team existed prior and takes the prior team's name. I mean I imagine the same thing would happen if a new or relocated team moved to Montreal and took up the Expos moniker.

Supposedly the Nationals Curly W has the second part of the W is slightly higher than the first part, where the Washington Senators on is flat. Or at least that was the BS they were selling in DC when the team came.

So how long before Washington National starts wearing expo throwbacks in games Vs the Bluejays in Toronto ?

Never. Many Nats fans want nothing to do with the Expos, even if it is just a set of throwback jerseys.

Archived