My Take On The New Miami Marlins Uniforms

robbman21

I've been wanting to do a Marlins concept for a couple of years now, ever since it was confirmed that "Florida" was going to be dropped in favor of "Miami" and that teal was being dropped in favor of orange, but since the new hat logo was revealed a couple of weeks back I have to say that I'm glad that I held off, because my ideas were nowhere in the ballpark of what was to come.

So now that we have seen the new cap logo and gotten a glimpse at the colors, I decided to finally give this a go to see how close I could get to what we'll finally see on 11/11/11. I used very little artistic license here and pretty much ONLY went for what has been confirmed by those who have seen the new identity: Heavy on black and orange, no pinstripes, city name at home/team name on alternates, a black alt and another alt that could burn your eyes, 4 different caps, wordmark similar to the new stadium's logo,more tradition uniform design than the logo suggests, and lots of mix and match options. This has all been confirmed in the Marlins megathread in the "Sports Logos" section, and after meticulously going thru the thread one more time, the following is what I was able to come up with.

Like the Reds of the early 2000's, there are multiple undershirt/sock options to give the same jerseys a different feel from day to day. With no alternate logos available, I simply used an "M" on the alt hats. I experimented with an "MM" logo, but I could quite get the look right, so it was scrapped quickly. That's also why there are no sleeve patches, although IO considered making a patch to commemorate the new stadium opening. I basically kept it to the constraints of what we know so far just to see how close I could actually come to what we'll be seeing a month from now. Let me know what you guys think, and as always...enjoy!

(Chris - if the posting of any of this is in violation of any agreements between you and the MLB, I promise I will not be offended if/when you have to take any images down.)

LOGOS/WORDMARKS

MarlinsNewLogoSet.png

HOME/ROAD UNIFORMS

MarlinsUnis1.png

ALTERNATE UNIFORMS

MarlinsUnis2.png

98Falcons.png

I've been wanting to do a Marlins concept for a couple of years now, ever since it was confirmed that "Florida" was going to be dropped in favor of "Miami" and that teal was being dropped in favor of orange, but since the new hat logo was revealed a couple of weeks back I have to say that I'm glad that I held off, because my ideas were nowhere in the ballpark of what was to come.

So now that we have seen the new cap logo and gotten a glimpse at the colors, I decided to finally give this a go to see how close I could get to what we'll finally see on 11/11/11. I used very little artistic license here and pretty much ONLY went for what has been confirmed by those who have seen the new identity: Heavy on black and orange, no pinstripes, city name at home/team name on alternates, a black alt and another alt that could burn your eyes, 4 different caps, wordmark similar to the new stadium's logo,more tradition uniform design than the logo suggests, and lots of mix and match options. This has all been confirmed in the Marlins megathread in the "Sports Logos" section, and after meticulously going thru the thread one more time, the following is what I was able to come up with.

Like the Reds of the early 2000's, there are multiple undershirt/sock options to give the same jerseys a different feel from day to day. With no alternate logos available, I simply used an "M" on the alt hats. I experimented with an "MM" logo, but I could quite get the look right, so it was scrapped quickly. That's also why there are no sleeve patches, although IO considered making a patch to commemorate the new stadium opening. I basically kept it to the constraints of what we know so far just to see how close I could actually come to what we'll be seeing a month from now. Let me know what you guys think, and as always...enjoy!

(Chris - if the posting of any of this is in violation of any agreements between you and the MLB, I promise I will not be offended if/when you have to take any images down.)

LOGOS/WORDMARKS

MarlinsNewLogoSet.png

HOME/ROAD UNIFORMS

MarlinsUnis1.png

ALTERNATE UNIFORMS

MarlinsUnis2.png

From what I've gathered in the Marlins thread, there will probably only be an all-black cap and an all-orange cap. And I'm guessing the orange cap will only be worn with the orange jersey. Other than that, it seems like you've captured everything that's been thrown out there and pieced them together in what will most likely be the actual set.

I echo funkatron and jakemon's sentiments... it's well-rendered, and I like the overall presentation. But I am still in disbelief that an MLB team would go with a highlighter-extravaganza color scheme. Those wordmarks hurt my eyes.

Well normally that's how it's done, but it's been confirmed that both home and road jerseys are getting the city name while the alternates get the team name.

Oh god, not the Texas Texases again!

I feel your pain. It's unbelievable that they are going to such lengths as to proclaim their new home city on their primaries. Makes no sense.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Good God, my eyes are bleeding. The rendering is nice, but the elements and colors for this new set are just horrific. The dunce who thought MARLINS in all caps on a jersey would look good must have been a blind man. Look at how the fish strangles the M on the left and you can drive a truck through the space on the right because of the cap A.

The colors and beveling on the letters, numbers, logo are frighteningly bad and appear to have been conceived by a visual idiot who thinks that a baseball team would look good if modeled after a 1980s style with Rainbow Coalition colors. The uni set would look perfect if the batting helmets are the old Devo hats.

This uniform makes the Tequila Sunrise Astros look like Yankee pinstripes.

Pardon me while I go vomit up my Egg McMuffin.

Not offended at all. Anyone who takes the time to read the description preceding the artwork itself should know that these are not my ideas, but rather what I've been able to piece together about what I think the actual uniform will look like based solely on what has been confirmed about the new look. I agree that it looks...well...different...but as a Marlins fan since their birth I kinda like these...although this will not be the final look.

98Falcons.png

• 4 weeks later...

I've just found out within the last few hours that my concept went viral this week, and was widely reported that these were THE actual uniforms. I posted these around the time about a dozen other Marlins concepts were posted, so it's both weird and very cool that mine are the ones that somehow got national play and found their way around the interwebs. Here's the links:

Yahoo Sports

NBC Sports

Miami New Times

98Falcons.png

I find it funny that people think when the Marlins reveal their jerseys it would say "ROBBMAN" on the back. lol

I was thinking the same thing... did these people think Robbman was the Marlins' new closer or something? That probably should have been a tip-off.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Archived