New NBA Alternate and Throwback Uniforms

pHiL Kizer

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone explain the Cougars/Muskies ones?

Those 2, along with Memphis, are throwbacks to the old ABA teams of the areas. not sure why they would have them, but I find it very cool. they were the Minnesota Muskies, Carolina Cougars, and the Memphis Tams. I think Memphis had like 3 or 4 teams in the short time the ABA was around, but since the uniforms are green and yellow I assume it would be the Tams. Now that I look through them again, the way the script looks on the Clippers uniform indicates that is an ABA throwback as well. The Los Angeles Stars.

Untitled.png

Can someone explain the Cougars/Muskies ones?

The Minnesota Muskies were a charter member of the ABA, and played out of Bloomington, MN. The Muskies played only played one season before relocating to Miami to become the Miami Floridians. They were the Miami Floridians from 1968 to 1970. The Miami Floridians changed their name to just "The Floridians" for the 1970-71 season and it stuck until the team folded after the 1972 season, after horrible attendance numbers.

The Carolina Cougars were originally the Houston Mavericks, a charter member of the ABA. The Mavericks relocated to North Carolina in 1969, and played from 1969 through 1974 before relocating to St. Louis, Missouri to become the Spirits of St. Louis. While in North Carolina, the Cougars split home games between Charlotte Coliseum in Charlotte, Greensboro Coliseum in Greensboro, Dorton Arena and Reynolds Coliseum in Raleigh and Winston-Salem Memorial Coliseum in Winston-Salem.

If you're wondering if the old Muskies and Cougars have any relation to the modern Timberwolves and Bobcats, the answer is no. 2K must've just thought they were cool, vaguely related, retro uniforms to throw into the video game for more uniform options.

spacer.png

I saw a shot of a new Heat alternate via NBA 2K12 as well:

65472449.jpg

According to the local paper they will wear these a few time. Wish they would have made a yellow version of the red Miami one instead. They will still be wearing the white/black/red normal unis. That is if there is a season :mad:

Side note: Nice that 2K has it together with alternates and throwbacks etc. when there may not even be a NBA season, but EA can't put the new Panthers road sweaters or Jets unis in NHL12 at release.

65472449.jpg

According to the local paper they will wear these a few time. Wish they would have made a yellow version of the red Miami one instead. They will still be wearing the white/black/red normal unis. That is if there is a season :mad:

Side note: Nice that 2K has it together with alternates and throwbacks etc. when their may not even be a NBA season, but EA can't put the new Panthers road sweaters or Jets unis in NHL12 at release.

the jets werent included because they released their uniforms way too late too put them in the game, but for the panthers, theres no excuse

spacer.png

spacer.png

65472449.jpg

Side note: Nice that 2K has it together with alternates and throwbacks etc. when their may not even be a NBA season, but EA can't put the new Panthers road sweaters or Jets unis in NHL12 at release.

the jets werent included because they released their uniforms way too late too put them in the game, but for the panthers, theres no excuse

Yeah. Last year, there were no Sabres road or alt sweater during the first few weeks of NHL 11.

spacer.png

those cavs alts are hideous. not that they would look a whole lot better, but wouldn't you go with gold? i don't understand what dan gilbert is doing. he had one of the sharpest uniforms in the league, and changed to the high school looking ones last year, dropping navy for the most part. now an alt is back and it's navy.

I don't know about you guys, but it's my humble opinion that the Muskies throwback is gorgeous.

Also, is that Clippers one a fauxback? That particular design doesn't look familiar to me at all. The script is pretty interesting.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

those cavs alts are hideous. not that they would look a whole lot better, but wouldn't you go with gold? i don't understand what dan gilbert is doing. he had one of the sharpest uniforms in the league, and changed to the high school looking ones last year, dropping navy for the most part. now an alt is back and it's navy.

Can't say I disagree that gold would have been nice, but I like these as well. Also keep in mind that this could be this season's CavFanatic uniform. Usually a team waits two seasons before releasing a full-time alternate. The uniform you see here would fit the pattern that CavFanatic uniforms have followed in the past, mashing up the colors of one era with the design of another, this one obviously being similar to the current design with the previous era's color scheme.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Can't say I disagree that gold would have been nice, but I like these as well. Also keep in mind that this could be this season's CavFanatic uniform. Usually a team waits two seasons before releasing a full-time alternate. The uniform you see here would fit the pattern that CavFanatic uniforms have followed in the past, mashing up the colors of one era with the design of another, this one obviously being similar to the current design with the previous era's color scheme.

Yea, it's nothing more than this year's CavFanatic jersey and was probably only meant to be worn once. I loved the black one last season, but these fan uni's are always a hit or miss. I can't wait until the Cavs are allowed to have an real alternate....as long is it is GOLD.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Archived