The Packers logo

the_fan

Stinks.

It's a G. A fairly akwardly sized one at that. With a circle around it. While the colors are good, there's nothing distinctive, creative or interesting about it. Yeah it's old which gives it a certain level of iconism to it, but could someone explain why many consider it the best logo in a league with some very cool designs, both old and new?

And before someone mentions the fact that I'm "just a biased Bears fan" I think our logo stinks too and is even worse. But the Packers aren't that much better, yet gets TONS of more praise.

Three biggest disgraces in sports this year:

3. Braves collapse

2. Red Sox collapse

1. Most Canucks fans actions this post-season

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Packers' "G" is well-balanced, translates to all platforms, works on merchandising, and remains instantly recognizable no matter how many colleges they let borrow it. I don't know how you can say it isn't "distinctive" in its treatment of the letter, though.

Plus, it's tied to the greatest pro football dynasty ever.

So it carries pretty much everything you want in a logo. Not my favorite logo in the Packers' history (not even sure that it makes the top 5, actually), but I can't argue with its success.

You think the Bears logo doesn't get enough praise?

It seems like pretty much every comment I see on here about the Bears logo says they basically stole the Reds design (which is untrue, tons of teams have used the wishbone C and the Bears at least changed it up a little bit).

See you say things like it being tied with a dynasty and it being recognizable, and while that's a good reason for never changing it, it doesn't make it a good logo. If the Thunder won 10 Championships with their logo would it be good?

Maybe I was a little harsh, it doesn't flat out suck, but it seems way too plain to be considered one of football's best.

3. Braves collapse

2. Red Sox collapse

The Packers' "G" is well-balanced, translates to all platforms, works on merchandising, and remains instantly recognizable no matter how many colleges they let borrow it. I don't know how you can say it isn't "distinctive" in its treatment of the letter, though.

Plus, it's tied to the greatest pro football dynasty ever.

So it carries pretty much everything you want in a logo. Not my favorite logo in the Packers' history (not even sure that it makes the top 5, actually), but I can't argue with its success.

You think the Bears logo doesn't get enough praise?

And it stands for Greatness. grinning.gif What's not to love?

Stinks.

It's a G. A fairly akwardly sized one at that. With a circle around it. While the colors are good, there's nothing distinctive, creative or interesting about it. Yeah it's old which gives it a certain level of iconism to it, but could someone explain why many consider it the best logo in a league with some very cool designs, both old and new?

And before someone mentions the fact that I'm "just a biased Bears fan" I think our logo stinks too and is even worse. But the Packers aren't that much better, yet gets TONS of more praise.

what makes it a good logo is that it is easily recognizable and translates well in to many mediums. It can translate well on to other sports mediums as well with out having to edit it. it's not cartoony or contain alot of lines or gradients, which makes production and manufacturing easier, cleaner and cost effective.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

When I look at that G logo I think Georgia bulldogs before I think Green Bay Packers. Now that is because I grew up in Georgia and it is all over the place. But that is the downfall of that logo. Georgia started using that logo only 3 years after Green Bay, so the logo did start with the Packers. But the G logo is not associated with just one team and I think that may be what the argument is against it.

Visibility

Application

Distinctiveness

Color

Simplicity

Retention/Mnemonic Value

Timelessness

Equity

Modularity

Descriptiveness

Message/Personality

its got it all. great logo

Maybe I'll be labelled a dunce but I'm not even sure what you mean by at least half of those.

3. Braves collapse

2. Red Sox collapse

Visibility

Application

Distinctiveness

Color

Simplicity

Retention/Mnemonic Value

Timelessness

Equity

Modularity

Descriptiveness

Message/Personality

its got it all. great logo

Ahh, you mean the VADCSRTEMDM factor. I agree.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

It is one of those things like the Yankee's NY, can it be better? No...it seems like they got it right the first time. There have been thousands of Packer concepts on these boards through the years, and while many of the uniforms have been better, the G logo has not been eclipsed. Perhaps it could be tweaked a bit like the SF of the 49'ers but a complete scrapping. I doubt you will see anything better. In regards to the GA Bulldogs use...we are viewing it through 2011 eyes, but 80 years ago I doubt many people in GA new much about the Packers and vice versa. Remember up until the 50's the collage game was a bigger deal than the NFL. But if you think you have a better idea for the Packers...well post it.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Where i love the G, and i hope they never take it away or change it, i also love the Old Heisman pose over Wisconsin logo. i love how they are incorporating it on the visors and such now. i think that logo is an all time classic

Kind of hard to see but yeah

Nick Collins 1

The Packers G is absolutely perfect.

Is it simple? Yes, but that is what makes it so great.

It is timeless, works in every possible setting, AND most importantly the most important thing is does is take a back seat to the yellow on the helmet which is probably it's most amazing achievement. Anyone who looks at a logo and confuses simple with easy has probably never designed a great logo them self.

Perfect.

PS. I love the Georgia helmet, but everyone outside of GA think they just stole the Packers logo.

PPS. No one counts Grambling

I suspect that were you to poll people outside of Georgia, they wouldn't think "Bulldogs" first.

I'm not aware that anyone's asked the question "Why do the Packers use Georgia's logo?", whereas it is often posed the other way around.

Not really, actually. If you see that "G" anywhere in the Southeast, you are going to think Georgia...not just folks in Georgia.

For example, if someone has a tag on their truck and it is nothing but a metal tag with black engravement on it of the "G" logo (something neutral)...90% of people are going to think Georgia in the South. No one says "oh, they must be Packers fans."

I suspect that were you to poll people outside of Georgia, they wouldn't think "Bulldogs" first.

I'm not aware that anyone's asked the question "Why do the Packers use Georgia's logo?", whereas it is often posed the other way around.

I was asked this question by my cousin Sunday during the Packers/Vikings game. The majority of the southeast sees that as the Georgia G. I live in Florida and think of Georgia when I see that G. College football is very popular around here. How much time have you spent down here?

Archived