Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

20 hours ago, DG_Now said:

All right. I don't really care. I guess I just generally have more tolerance of off-the-rails nonsense than most. I would probably not be a very good message board moderator. 

I'm usually someone that's very hesitant to call for people to be suspended but I think Viola deserved it in this case. Calling other members morally reprehensible for not agreeing with isn't going to make me want to tolerate your company on a message board for long. 

20 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Viola73 is a buffoon (and I've always wondered if his screen name was an homage to Frank Viola?), but he's one of the lone, out conservative voices on these boards. Those voices tend not to last very long. Part of it is because so many of them act like damn fools. But I do wonder if there's a chilling effect among the more temperate of those voices. 

While we are on the topic this leads me into something that I've been wanting to bring up for a bit was a bit hesitant to since I didn't want to create a ruckus on the boards by criticizing the behavior of people that I like on these boards so here it goes

I agree with people on this board that say that some of the right wingers on this board may be a bit much with how they present their arguments but I've been seeing some real douchey behavior from those on the liberal side of the isle towards the other side. 

For example: A few weeks ago in the politics thread nuordr made a rather innocent grammar mistake which isn't exactly rare for a message board and turned it into an opportunity to gang up on him and make jokes portraying him as an idiot for no reason that probably wouldn't have happened if the guy wasn't a Cruz/Trump supporter. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Fair enough. 

Viola73 is a buffoon (and I've always wondered if his screen name was an homage to Frank Viola?), but he's one of the lone, out conservative voices on these boards. Those voices tend not to last very long. Part of it is because so many of them act like damn fools. But I do wonder if there's a chilling effect among the more temperate of those voices. 

I consider myself conservative on a lot of issues (at least right-of-center).  If I disagree with people on the board, though, I don't go full retard.

As soon as Viola made that post about abortion and repealing the 1st and 2nd amendment and he equated all that stuff with being anti-JoPa statue, I knew it was going to be a suspension-y day.

1 hour ago, twi said:

As more of an observer than a participant on the boards lately, but a long time member, I've read this same message of "I'm not terribly proud...couldn't help myself" in regards with how you argue with other members a lot. The issues do leak around in that it's single handedly turned me off from even giving some of your creative endeavors a chance, when normally I'd be up for a listen. Maybe I'm one in the crowd, maybe I'm an island, but it's become noticeable enough to merit mention. 

I say this as someone with a stake in some of those endeavours...you're missing out. 

So please stay tune for new episodes of Basically a Sports Show, Basically a Geek Show, Basically a Wrestling Show specials, and Behind the Avatar!

This has nothing to do with anything, but I figured a cheap plug would help with the mood. 

42 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

I consider myself conservative on a lot of issues (at least right-of-center).  If I disagree with people on the board, though, I don't go full retard.

As soon as Viola made that post about abortion and repealing the 1st and 2nd amendment and he equated all that stuff with being anti-JoPa statue, I knew it was going to be a suspension-y day.

Yeah, there are issues I do lean right on. And there have been cases where I've hesitated to chime in on those issues because some of the more boarish right wing posters have gone so over the top in defence of that general position that I don't feel comfortable expressing that there's any sort of shared ground. 

See Tank's opposition to common core. I agreed with the general position but was hesitant to admit it until I could find a study that substantiated my position. So I could make it clear that my opposition to common core had nothing to do with Tank's hysterics.

So I can only imagine what a turn-off these sorts of posters are to our well-read and thoughtful conservative membership. 

Like I said, there's no easy answer. So I default to the base fact that Viola couldn't handle a difference of opinion like an adult. 

That's a problem, whether the issue is politics, Penn State, or sock stripes. So a suspension it is.

8 hours ago, Viola73 said:

Well, it is par for the course. Liberal crusaders want to take away the 1st and 2nd Amendments, kill the unborn, give money to people who don't want to work, and give illegal immigrants all the benefits of the average John Q Public Taxpayer Esquire....Progressives is now a synonym for backwards.

I'm so glad he got suspended and I missed his whole tirade.

How the hell did this thread devolve into left vs. right crap? This isn't even a political issue. I don't care if you're an anarcho-capitalist or a full Communist, if you can't admit that Joe Paterno and the Penn State football program he built were pieces of :censored:, there's something wrong with you.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 hour ago, mania said:

When it comes to enabling child rape, not all views are worth being offered.

Then close the thread, right? Outside of "I'm the most outraged," there's not much to discuss is there? 

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

This isn't the first thread that Viola has run into the ground with his "LIBTARD" "SJW" (whatever the hell that is) talk that basically demeans anyone who disagrees with him (which, ironically, he bitched about a TON when the same attitude came his way). The dude needed a break for that alone if nothing else. I sure won't miss him. 

EDIT: just looked SJW up. Social Justice Warrior. Good lord. Just ban him. 

You know what's most difficult when bringing up the whole concept of SJW'ing? The fact that one person's interpretation of SJW's is different from another's. There are aspects of what I consider "SJW'ing" that I find annoying as well. Except, well, here's the problem in this discussion - being upset at a figure lionized by a decently sized regional population that undoubtedly enabled a child rapist to do precisely that is...not being a social justice warrior at all. That's an insane and warped interpretation of what it is, and Viola was clearly trolling in this thread to be saying that because liberal vs. conservative politics don't even exist on this subject, and the only way it gets brought up is if you're deliberating fishing for an argument, and, well, mission accomplished there, clearly.

*and not that I've been particularly active in the politics thread (some things are better just reading instead of participating in), but, full disclosure, I was a Bernie-supporting leftist Democrat who would be voting 3rd party in November if I wasn't living in a g-ddamn swing state, so my politics are at least a few wavelengths separated from Viola's.

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Nyk33 said:

For example: A few weeks ago in the politics thread nuordr made a rather innocent grammar mistake which isn't exactly rare for a message board and turned it into an opportunity to gang up on him and make jokes portraying him as an idiot for no reason that probably wouldn't have happened if the guy wasn't a Cruz/Trump supporter. 

Nuordr and Viola are both inbred :censored:ing morons. Their ineptitude to even hold a civil discussion without trying to force their bull :censored: agendas only further the personas they've developed on this message board.

:censored:s.

11 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Nuordr and Viola are both inbred :censored:ing morons. Their ineptitude to even hold a civil discussion without trying to force their bull :censored: agendas only further the personas they've developed on this message board.

:censored:s.

Yes, I don't think those two members have been the best at presenting and arguing their positions. 

However what happened to nuordr in that instance wasn't cool in my opinion. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

A couple things...

First, I'm fine with bringing back the Joe Paterno statue. I think he's earned it - provided the plaque on that statue reads...

"Joe Paterno - Enabled child rape for at least 12-13 years. Maybe more. Then was either directly involved in a cover up, or turned a blind eye to a cover up. Blamed a lack of action on his superiors. Continued to employ a pedophile. Did exactly nothing when informed by one of his coaches that the defensive coordinator was seen raping a child in the team's shower room. Had the good sense to :censored:-ing die before he could be questioned further in the Jerry Sandusky matter. He was either the most clueless mother-:censored:er who ever lived, or he was part of the most vile thing to ever happen in college sports. We're betting on the latter. Oh, and he also won some football games." 

On viola73's suspension -I think he earned it with his overall behavior. The guy is always looking for a fight. 

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Then close the thread, right? Outside of "I'm the most outraged," there's not much to discuss is there? 

There's lots of room in the middle for most discussions. You can discuss gun rights without one side being "throw every gun in the fire" and the other side being "gimme a machine gun mounted to my car".

9 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

A couple things...

First, I'm fine with bringing back the Joe Paterno statue. I think he's earned it - provided the plaque on that statue reads...

"Joe Paterno - Enabled child rape for at least 12-13 years. Maybe more. Then was either directly involved in a cover up, or turned a blind eye a cover up. Blamed a lack of action on his superiors. Continued to employ a pedophile. Did exactly nothing when informed by one of his coaches that the defensive coordinator was seen raping a child in the team's shower room. Had the good sense to :censored:-ing die before he could be questioned further in the Jerry Sandusky matter. He was either the most clueless mother-:censored:er who ever lived, or he was part of the most vile thing to ever happen in college sports. We're betting on the latter. Oh, and he also won some football games." 

My Joe Pa "statue" would be a discolored square of concrete where the  old statue was with some rebar sticking up from a pot hole in the middle of it, just to make it very obvious that something used to be there. Then put a plaque that titles the piece "Shame" or "Hubris".

30 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

There's lots of room in the middle for most discussions. You can discuss gun rights without one side being "throw every gun in the fire" and the other side being "gimme a machine gun mounted to my car".

For most, yes. But this particular conversation is "Joe Paterno is bad and everyone shouldn't like him" and a couple of people saying "Leave Penn State alone!" Those people are also wrong.

If there's no meat on the conversation bones, why have it?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

7 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

If there's no meat on the conversation bones, why have it?

Then again, why not have it? Granted, it's going nowhere, but I don't see the harm. Most things around here end up going nowhere. 

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, Kramerica Industries said:

not that I've been particularly active in the politics thread (some things are better just reading instead of participating in), but, full disclosure, I was a Bernie-supporting leftist 

COULDA USED YOU

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

20 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

this isn't a political issue. All sides can agree that covering up child rape is wrong. 

We can debate what role Joe Paterno played in that cover-up, but I don't see how that's a liberal-conservative divide. 

Yeah, this.   

It was not a political discussion - protecting children from sexual abuse has never been an exclusively liberal agenda, and enabling molesters is not a conservative virtue. 

Viola tried to make it a liberal/conservative thing, seemingly only so he could post bizarre rants and insult his fellow posters.  That's trolling.

Archived