Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

yesterday was the 4 year anniversary of the best win in the history of Ohio University's football program. It was the first Penn State football game post Sandusky. 

young_ohiou_football_15.jpg

we can be heroes. Just for one day. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't the first Penn State game post-Sandusky have been earlier than that?  Even if you're only considering the scandal, and not literally when he was on staff, wouldn't it still have been previous season?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yes you're right. It wasn't literally the first game after Sandusky. The scandal broke in early November of 2011. They played 4 games after Paterno was fired, one of them at home, but that was before it was widely known how involved Paterno had been or it was understood what kind of climate existed in Happy Valley. 

OU played them in what was the first game of the 2012 season, which was the first game after the trial, after the free report, first game after Paterno's death, and the first game after the dust had settled and we could really see how responsible the whole school and program had been. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

22 hours ago, LMU said:

Burn the campus to the ground, exhume Paterno's corpse, draw and quarter it, and send the pieces to various power conference programs as a warning. 

Penn State is the living, breathing example of why the "don't punish people who had nothing to do with the violations" argument is bull :censored:. If you don't punish the institutions when they do wrong, or if you slap them on the wrist for serious violations, they don't learn their lesson from it. And you get a school honoring the enabler of a child rapist while the crowd cheers.

Baylor will be another example. They're P5, so the NCAA will be too scared to punish them for real. Watch them bring back Briles in a few years, just like how Louisville brought Petrino back. He's already going around doing interviews about how he's sorry and he's a changed man... gimme a break.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

5 hours ago, pmoehrin said:

Good to know that meltdowns about defending the legacy of Joe Paterno isn't just limited to this message board.

They do however seem to be limited to fans of Penn State football.

http://thespun.com/big-ten/penn-state/penn-state-professor-paterno

Holy crap.

When people call it the "Cult of Paterno" they sure ain't kidding.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Baylor will be another example. They're P5, so the NCAA will be too scared to punish them for real. Watch them bring back Briles in a few years, just like how Louisville brought Petrino back. He's already going around doing interviews about how he's sorry and he's a changed man... gimme a break.

Dan Bernstein did an article about this the other day: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/09/14/bernstein-were-letting-art-briles-get-away-with-it/

Also, there is this: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/09/16/bernstein-former-prosecutor-eviscerates-penn-state-over-joe-paterno-tribute/?e=o-GtpfmmewHHYw

http://theundefeated.com/features/penn-state-doesnt-get-to-decide-joe-paternos-legacy/

Very well written piece written from a survivors point of view. It's sad to see how people can block out a family members actions and justify them, not the actions as much as the supposed good that person did, all those years later. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

18 hours ago, rxmc89 said:

The government needs to just drop a nuclear bomb on Penn State University.   Just wipe out the whole town and everyone in it.

I stay away from this thread as much as possible but what an awful thing to say. This thread is usually pretty accepting and kind-hearted but this is really disgusting. I'm sorry. If I read this when I was still attending the school, I'd be even more offended.

1 hour ago, rxmc89 said:

Well at least one person agrees with me.  Seriously, :censored: Penn State and all of its fans.  They've shown time and time again that they don't get it and haven't learned anything.  I won't be satisfied until I see a mushroom cloud over central Pennsylvania and everyone associated with that university is vaporized.  I don't care if innocent people who had nothing to do with the scandal die.  To me it's worth it to set an example, enforce the proper punishment, get rid of the scourge that is Penn State.  It'll make any other university think twice before they try to cover up a crime.

I bet you wouldn't be saying that if you lived in central Pennsylvania.

I'm personally of the mind that a lot of the world's problems would be solved if the right people died, but wishing death upon thousands/millions of deluded football-drunk because they don't realize they're deluded/football-drunk is definitely not exactly kosher.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived