Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

Yeah, the 40-175 years sentence is really just to compound his punishment. I doubt he'll get parole on the 60-year sentence and that would put him at more than 110 years old by the end of his sentence. He will die behind bars.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Not in Canada. 

Amercia’s elected judiciary is something that’s always baffled me. 

It's an absurdity, to be honest. And more common in other parts of the country than where I am. Back in Connecticut, I think probate judges were the only ones elected. Here in New York, judges presiding over criminal trials in NYC are appointed by the Mayor, whereas in the rest of the state, judges in criminal courts are elected.

Amazingly, most elected judges are not attorneys, and require training before sitting on the bench.

On 1/25/2018 at 7:22 PM, kroywen said:

Here in New York, judges presiding over criminal trials in NYC are appointed by the Mayor, whereas in the rest of the state, judges in criminal courts are elected.

Amazingly, most elected judges are not attorneys, and require training before sitting on the bench.

In New York City felony trials are conducted in NYS Supreme Court in the county (borough) of occurrence.  Those judges are elected.  The NYC Criminal Court with mayoral appointee judges is for misdemeanors and lesser offenses, and if memory serves me right arraignments, which in other parts of the state would be heard in County Court.  New York probably has the most confusing court system in the nation for those not familiar with it.  The highest court in the state isn't even the Supreme Court, it's the Court of Appeals.  Go figure.  

------------------

As for the judge in the Nassar case, her conduct could make an appeal of the sentence interesting insofar as getting some time knocked off his state sentence, but in the end he's going to do the large majority of the 60 years of federal time he got so even if the state sentence is reduced some he's pretty much assured of dying in prison.

17 minutes ago, tp49 said:

In New York City felony trials are conducted in NYS Supreme Court in the county (borough) of occurrence.  Those judges are elected.  The NYC Criminal Court with mayoral appointee judges is for misdemeanors and lesser offenses, and if memory serves me right arraignments, which in other parts of the state would be heard in County Court.  New York probably has the most confusing court system in the nation for those not familiar with it.  The highest court in the state isn't even the Supreme Court, it's the Court of Appeals.  Go figure.  

Didn't realize that first portion. Seems incredibly backward to me that you'd have elected judges hearing felony cases, and appointed judges hearing misdemeanor cases, but that's New York for you. Most absurdly complex and incomprehensible court system in the country.

19 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Some people in my circles said there's no way a male judge would have forced Nassar to listen to all of that victim testimony.

Those people would seem to believe that all human existence is a pitched battle between men and women that transcends all other beliefs and bonds, which practically belongs in the DSM. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

39 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Those people would seem to believe that all human existence is a pitched battle between men and women that transcends all other beliefs and bonds, which practically belongs in the DSM. 

There's a lot of anger out there. Some might laugh off people challenging the patriarchy, but if you listen you can learn a lot.

I don't know what people want to hear from women. Is there an effective way to say "hey, a lot of men are garbage" (which is a true statement) without having to constantly #notallmen?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Once again, we're pretty much on the same page but sniping over microscopic distinctions. Patriarchy is real, the world is structurally unfair and unequal, but believing that only women can preside over a trial like this the way it should be presided over will let you down in the end when any of them don't. This isn't the unspeakable thread, so I have to be careful, but a plurality of w**** v**** for D***** T****. When you put identity over class you will always always always be let down.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Once again, we're pretty much on the same page but sniping over microscopic distinctions. Patriarchy is real, the world is structurally unfair and unequal, but believing that only women can preside over a trial like this the way it should be presided over will let you down in the end when any of them don't. This isn't the unspeakable thread, so I have to be careful, but a plurality of w**** v**** for D***** T****. When you put identity over class you will always always always be let down.

All true. You once called me culturally insulated, which is probably more fair most days than not. And for the record, I don't believe only women could preside over this trial, but I'm still glad knew did.

All the same, point taken.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/26/16936110/us-olympic-committee-letter-usa-gymnastics-board-resignations-decertifcation

Even though the president and athletic director for Michigan State are out, does the NCAA have the ability to say, "Get rid of your board of trustees"? Is their another academic body that has the ability to? I know academically their are governing bodies that cann make life miserable for Michigan State but since this wasn't academic fraud I don't think they have a dog in the fight. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/26/16936110/us-olympic-committee-letter-usa-gymnastics-board-resignations-decertifcation

Even though the president and athletic director for Michigan State are out, does the NCAA have the ability to say, "Get rid of your board of trustees"? Is their another academic body that has the ability to? I know academically their are governing bodies that cann make life miserable for Michigan State but since this wasn't academic fraud I don't think they have a dog in the fight. 

You'd think the Governor or Legislature could either outright remove or at least call for their resignation and have a lot of weight.

NCAA has fought for 40+ years that they are not a state actor, and SCOTUS ruled for them. See NCAA v. Tarkanian

Delivering a message to MSU, or any other public school would open them up to litigation as they may become a state actor. They don't want that as everyone would be granted due due process by law.

Link to a recent law review paper in PDF:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://docs.rwu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi%3Farticle%3D1563%26context%3Drwu_LR&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwivxImA0PbYAhUK5mMKHYU2B-k4ChAWCA8wAg&usg=AOvVaw02bl1CLozFwalhzs78e3Ch

On 1/25/2018 at 2:59 PM, Ice_Cap said:

Not in Canada. 

Amercia’s elected judiciary is something that’s always baffled me. 

Our judiciary is a hodge-podge of elected and appointed judges, depending on the level (federal judges are always appointees, state judges vary depending on jurisdiction, local judges usually are elected).  It's not optimal, but given our periodic political climate (including presently)?  It's probably for the best.  The only thing I think is really bad is that federal judges appointments are for life; I've always believed they should be limited to 10 years, though with possibility of reappointment.

nav-logo.png

Fine, stop twisting my arm about it... I’ve said it about Happy Valley and Waco, so I’ll continue to stay on brand:

Burn East Lansing to the ground.*

As someone who follows MSU athletics inadvertently (I have a lot of family that went to State), there’s a very troubling culture that has developed around that entire athletic department. It may not be at the same level of toxic culture as a Baylor, but the amount of worrying incidents, transfers, and whispers of things swept under the rug around the men’s basketball and football teams is similar. Because of Larry Nassar, those things might come to light now that the Mark Hollis has resigned. 

This is not in any way an attempt to shift focus away from the Nassar crimes (which are truly heinous, repulsive, and sickening), but if you believe that the same administration that turned a collectively blind eye to a non-revenue sport like women’s gymnastics would hold a legend like Tom Izzo or Mark Dantonio’s feet to the fire and hold them accountable for the actions of their players, you’re insane.

*Disclaimer that I am a University of Michigan fan. I recognize U of M’s school and athletic department are not perfect and they screw up a lot (see the Brendan Gibbons/Taylor Lewan fiasco). I would/will say the same thing about Ann Arbor should there prove to be a culture of heinous acts and things swept under the rug to either 1) win games or 2) make money.

9 minutes ago, GFB said:

Fine, stop twisting my arm about it... I’ve said it about Happy Valley and Waco, so I’ll continue to stay on brand:

Burn East Lansing to the ground.*

As someone who follows MSU athletics inadvertently (I have a lot of family that went to State), there’s a very troubling culture that has developed around that entire athletic department. It may not be at the same level of toxic culture as a Baylor, but the amount of worrying incidents, transfers, and whispers of things swept under the rug around the men’s basketball and football teams is close. Because of Larry Nassar, those things might come to light now that the Mark Hollis has resigned. 

This is not in any way an attempt to shift focus away from the Nassar crimes (which are truly heinous, repulsive, and sickening), but if you believe that the same administration that turned a collectively blind eye to a non-revenue sport like women’s gymnastics would hold a legend like Tom Izzo or Mark Dantonio’s feet to the fire and hold them accountable for the actions of their players, you’re insane.

*Disclaimer that I am a University of Michigan fan. I recognize U of M’s school and athletic department are not perfect and they screw up a lot (see the Brendan Gibbons/Taylor Lewan fiasco). I would/will say the same thing about Ann Arbor should there prove to be a culture of heinous acts and things swept under the rug to either 1) win games or 2) make money.

Today, in his resignation presser said he never met Nassar.  I call BULLSHHH!

Hollis was an Associate AD there in 1995 and became AD in 2008, yet never met him? Not even at departmental meetings or to give him congratulations for his service time?

On 1/23/2018 at 12:17 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Probably not the most eloquent wording from him, but people are acting like Izzo was the one that was covering up for this guy for years. He would have been better off saying nothing but then what does everyone say? He may want to say, "Let's not stop at this guy", but he's going to cover his backside and the relationships he has with some of the leadership at the school who are likely candidates for lawsuits that are already being made or are about to be made. 

I was wrong. Dantonio and Izzo both need to be fired. Dantonio lied that incidents that happened this past year were the first he was aware of. Izzo allowed a grad assistant to keep coaching after knocking a woman out at a bar, then was accused of rape later on. I wanted all schools to stop circling the wagons and start rounding up the bad eggs and locking them away. Instead, now I'm starting to check off schools I want my daughter to go to. It's so disheartening to see so many administrators place accolades over people.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Oops! Goodbye, Emmert!

FYI, No paywall of this The Athletic link:

https://theathletic.com/223555/2018/01/26/ncaa-president-mark-emmert-was-alerted-to-michigan-state-sexual-assault-reports-in-2010/

NCAA president Mark Emmert was specifically alerted in November 2010 — six months after he was hired as the organization's president — to 37 reports involving Michigan State athletes sexually assaulting women.

Kathy Redmond, the founder of the National Coalition Against Violent Athletes, provided The Athletic with a copy of the letter she sent to Emmert urging him to better protect women with new, stronger gender violence policy measures.

In the letter, which was sent after Redmond and Emmert met in person in Indianapolis to discuss the topic, she specifically highlighted concerns about Michigan State. Emmert was unavailable for comment to The Athletic on Friday afternoon.

Here is the fourth paragraph of Redmond’s letter, which is dated November 17, 2010:

For example, despite recent reports of sexual violence involving two Michigan State University (MSU) basketball players, one of which admitted to raping the victim, neither man was charged criminally or even disciplined by the school. An earlier report of similar violence involving two other MSU basketball players also went un-redressed. In the past two years alone, 37 reports of sexual assault by MSU athletes have been reported, but not one disciplinary sanction was imposed by school officials against any of the men involved.

Bottom line, don't F up the money and "amateurism".

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

Oops! Goodbye, Emmert!

FYI, No paywall of this The Athletic link:

https://theathletic.com/223555/2018/01/26/ncaa-president-mark-emmert-was-alerted-to-michigan-state-sexual-assault-reports-in-2010/

Bottom line, don't F up the money and "amateurism".

Explains his non-comments this week and may possibly lead to him getting pulled onto the carpet as well. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

When asked who he reports to (meaning who at Michigan State since the AD is gone), he says his wife. Then after a couple people chuckle, he says it shouldn't be taken as him trying to be funny. He should've just skipped this conference and sent a letter out later. They also kept pushing it back several times after teasing it on Facebook. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I was wrong. Dantonio and Izzo both need to be fired. Dantonio lied that incidents that happened this past year were the first he was aware of. Izzo allowed a grad assistant to keep coaching after knocking a woman out at a bar, then was accused of rape later on. I wanted all schools to stop circling the wagons and start rounding up the bad eggs and locking them away. Instead, now I'm starting to check off schools I want my daughter to go to. It's so disheartening to see so many administrators place accolades over people.

Um, it is not the schools duty to "start rounding up the bad eggs and locking them away", be them athletes, or fraternity fraternity members.  That's the role of law enforcement and the judicial branch of government.

If you are forever THAT concerned, you need keep yourself abreast of active Title IX* investigations and their contents.

https://projects.chronicle.com/titleix/

Or read the recent book,"Missoula:Rape and the Justice System in a College Town" to let you know what's going on nationally.

*-Ignore if you don't believe in Title IX, but you still may want to stay away from Cornell and Kansas State as they lead in open cases.

Archived