Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

Stuff like the Budd Dwyer snuff tape is what you need in order to become a true battle-hardened internet warrior.

I watched it in journalism 101 (Introduction to Newspaper Reporting) in college. My professor thought we needed to toughen up if we were going to report on city hall committee meetings and Walgreens openings.

Did he think Bud Dwyer type press conferences were common or something?

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stuff like the Budd Dwyer snuff tape is what you need in order to become a true battle-hardened internet warrior.

I watched it in journalism 101 (Introduction to Newspaper Reporting) in college. My professor thought we needed to toughen up if we were going to report on city hall committee meetings and Walgreens openings.

lol, that was my first thought. I feel as though I've seen pretty much everything, and yeah the Pearl video was....rough. But yeah. No need to show snuff films to college students unless there's some sort of greater message regarding journalism or some such junk.

-----

BACK ON SUBJECT

It's going to be around 3 months before they lay a sentence on Sandusky. From what it sounds like until that time he's basically being held in a white collar facility where he can get family and friends to visit at their leisure.

I'm curious as to how deep the rabbit hole goes with the further scandal regarding the powers-that-were at PSU and the Second Mile program. I hope somebody's going a documentary regarding all this, because this is some groundbreaking nastiness here.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

It'll be one of ESPN's 60 for 60 documentaries.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

It'll be one of ESPN's 60 for 60 documentaries.

Nah, they've invested 90% of their coverage budget towards the Heat.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Eh, LeBron will be long since retired by the time ESPN gets to 60 years. Plus, the SMU scandal happened almost 25 years before Pony Excess aired, so jokes aside, this scandal would fit right in if ESPN did another special documentary series for their 60th anniversary.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

She was a goat farmer in her spare time. Who knew what the hell she was thinking.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

lol, that was my first thought. I feel as though I've seen pretty much everything, and yeah the Pearl video was....rough. But yeah. No need to show snuff films to college students unless there's some sort of greater message regarding journalism or some such junk.

-----

BACK ON SUBJECT

It's going to be around 3 months before they lay a sentence on Sandusky. From what it sounds like until that time he's basically being held in a white collar facility where he can get family and friends to visit at their leisure.

I'm curious as to how deep the rabbit hole goes with the further scandal regarding the powers-that-were at PSU and the Second Mile program. I hope somebody's going a documentary regarding all this, because this is some groundbreaking nastiness here.

The Second Mile charity is still operating a summer camp which will start on Monday.

The issues with Penn State will continue as I stated before. The Freeh investigation is still ongoing, the cases with Curley and Schultz will occur soon, and well as other issues regarding funding and re-accreditation. The school will not be evaluated again until 2020, but will self-study in 2014-2015. What self-study means is that they SHOULD give a harder evaluation on its mission on the issues/programs against standards set by the accrediting association, or may use other standards (American Council on Education) which are higher. I have been a part of a self-study twice in my then higher education career and have been through three re-accreditations.

The Budd Dwyer press conference was discussed in my intro journalism class, too, but thankfully our prof wasn't enough to give it a required mass viewing. My morbid curiosity took me to the Internet, though, where the footage was available - even in early 1997. The sound of the aftermath, that really stays.

And thankfully, our prof didn't address it in terms of "toughening up" - it was cited as an example of an editorial decision, showing the difficulties of drawing the line between newsworthiness and gratuitous gore. As I recall, the network newscasts only took it as far as the point of Budd bringing the gun toward his mouth, then freezing it.

What self-study means is that they SHOULD give a harder evaluation on its mission on the issues/programs against standards set by the accrediting association, or may use other standards (American Council on Education) which are higher.

I appreciate your emphasis on "should", because yes, that it what they should do, but I'll lay dollars to doughnuts they won't, because they'll be 2 years free-and-clear of this by then, and it'll all be business as usual, like it never even happened.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Actually, the first time I saw the Budd Dwyer video was on local access TV in Rochester, NY. It was a show called "Life Without Shame," mostly famed for camcorder-filmed stripper performances and interviews. It was an awesome thing to have existed during one's high school years.

For whatever reason, they showed the Dwyer video. What I remember was they they said after the act. One guy: "Call the police! Call the fire department!" The other guy: "Call the janitor!"

And I've giggled whenever I've thought of the video ever since.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Budd Dwyer press conference was discussed in my intro journalism class, too, but thankfully our prof wasn't enough to give it a required mass viewing. My morbid curiosity took me to the Internet, though, where the footage was available - even in early 1997. The sound of the aftermath, that really stays.

And thankfully, our prof didn't address it in terms of "toughening up" - it was cited as an example of an editorial decision, showing the difficulties of drawing the line between newsworthiness and gratuitous gore. As I recall, the network newscasts only took it as far as the point of Budd bringing the gun toward his mouth, then freezing it.

What self-study means is that they SHOULD give a harder evaluation on its mission on the issues/programs against standards set by the accrediting association, or may use other standards (American Council on Education) which are higher.

I appreciate your emphasis on "should", because yes, that it what they should do, but I'll lay dollars to doughnuts they won't, because they'll be 2 years free-and-clear of this by then, and it'll all be business as usual, like it never even happened.

"Should" is based on the ACE (American Council of Education) standards which are listed and were used at each institution I worked at prior to our formal visit/evaluation. I have never been in the Mid East States region where Penn State goes, but I know from other agencies.

However even in ACE, athletics and recreation/intramurals were considered one unit and not different. But the concept of how the president/chancellor looks at those non-academic programs matters.

The issues with Penn State will continue as I stated before. The Freeh investigation is still ongoing, the cases with Curley and Schultz will occur soon, and well as other issues regarding funding and re-accreditation. The school will not be evaluated again until 2020, but will self-study in 2014-2015. What self-study means is that they SHOULD give a harder evaluation on its mission on the issues/programs against standards set by the accrediting association, or may use other standards (American Council on Education) which are higher. I have been a part of a self-study twice in my then higher education career and have been through three re-accreditations.

What does being an accredited educational institution have to do with any of this? Unless they factor in the institution itself and the people who run it, doesn't accreditation strictly have to do with the curriculums themselves?

I would think they're two different things. The fact that the school was run by scumbags shouldn't mean that say, their finance curriculum isn't up to par.

I honestly don't know, please expand.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

What does being an accredited educational institution have to do with any of this? Unless they factor in the institution itself and the people who run it, doesn't accreditation strictly have to do with the curriculums themselves?

I would think they're two different things. The fact that the school was run by scumbags shouldn't mean that say, their finance curriculum isn't up to par.

I honestly don't know, please expand.

Would you ever send your child to a school which was not accredited?

This is great.

Jerry Sandusky was mercilessly taunted for HOURS during his first night in jail back in December -- when his fellow inmates chanted Pink Floyd's famous lyrics ... "Hey teacher, leave those kids alone!"

One of the men in the facility at the time -- a 22-year-old named Josh -- described the events to The Daily, saying they sang the song over and over ... all night.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/06/25/jerry-sandusky-pink-floyd-leave-those-kids-alone-taunted-mocked/

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Actually, I think one TV station showed the entire thing (which is why there are clips of it online).

FAKE EDIT: I just looked it up, it was WPVI (Channel 6) in Phily. Apparently they ran it at noon without a disclaimer.

This is great.

Jerry Sandusky was mercilessly taunted for HOURS during his first night in jail back in December -- when his fellow inmates chanted Pink Floyd's famous lyrics ... "Hey teacher, leave those kids alone!"

One of the men in the facility at the time -- a 22-year-old named Josh -- described the events to The Daily, saying they sang the song over and over ... all night.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/06/25/jerry-sandusky-pink-floyd-leave-those-kids-alone-taunted-mocked/

That is wrong, yet oh so right. I hope they keep doing that and drive him nuts.

It possibly just got worse for Curley and Schultz.

According to the report, an email then-Senior Vice President Gary Schultz sent talked about discussing the incident with "the subject," the charitable organization - The Second Mile - and the state Department of Public Welfare.

CNN, citing "sources with knowledge of the case," said the four emails refer to Sandusky as "the subject" and "person."

The report goes on to say that former Athletic Director Tim Curley said he discussed the situation with Joe Paterno and "am uncomfortable with what we agreed were the next steps. I am having trouble with going to everyone but the person involved. I would be more comfortable meeting with the person and tell them about the information we received and tell them we are aware of the first situation."

Curley allegedly commented on getting "professional help" for Sandusky.

The report goes on to cite an email Spanier allegedly sent, saying in part, "I am supportive. ... The only downside for us is if the message isn't heard and acted upon and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it. But that can be assessed down the road."

The only downside for us is if the message isn't heard and acted upon and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it.

Yeah oops that's the downside' date=' but other than that, obfuscating systematic child rape is [i']all upside.

TAKE AWAY THEIR FOOTBALL TEAM

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, :censored: that. Give them the death penalty. This is worse than what SMU did.

Archived