Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

Can the Big 10 hand out punishments too? I know they're having a press conference in 20 minutes.

I don't see why not. I mean, Jim Delany was trying to have it where he could fire teams' coaches himself. They'll probably take away some Big Ten Network money. The real question is will they cover their own press conference? This has nothing to do with a celebration of college sports!

Actually they did take a break from showing old football games yesterday to cover the statue and the upcoming Monday punishments. From the little I watched, they were trying extra hard to appear neutral, which meant they were not as nauseatingly saying "don't punish the current players and coaches" as, say, Mike and Mike on ESPN.

My guess is this Big Ten announcement will just confirm what we already know: No B1G Championship Game for PSU during this bowl ban period.

If the Big Ten kicks out Penn St, what candidates can replace them?

It would take at least a couple of years. But that's a non-issue.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just dreading how they're going to sell out every game and talk incessantly about "the healing process" and "WE ARE" and on and on. It's gonna be gross.

av80n.jpg

Oh look.

This one is especially tasteless:

3mRIm.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Retconning the wins is silly, but so is the incessant blather from Paterno's family and loyalists about his "legacy". The vacating of wins is essentially an officially-sanctioned middle finger to all that, so I'm fine with that.

That's where I am, actually. It's very silly to think you can just erase over a decade of games played with a simple decree. Yet if there's one school/team/fanbase/legacy that deserves to be Orwell'd it's Penn State and Joe Paterno. He's no longer the all-time wins leader. His fans/loyalists/family can deal with it.

As for everything else?

The $60 million fine is a good idea in theory, and it's going to the right cause, which is fantastic. It's just a shame Penn State has enough wealthy loyalists they can hit up for help on that. Hopefully enough of their wealthier alumni tell them to piss up a rope when they come calling. Again though, the fact that the money's going to the right cause offsets the annoyance that comes with knowing they probably won't have a problem paying it off.

No bowls for four years/25 scholarships to 15 for four Years/five Year Probationary Period. It's a good start, though I'd like to see that four year bowl ban and four year scholarship reduction increased to five.

I'm ok with something besides the death penalty as long as it makes the death penalty look preferable, and this certainly does that to an extent. Aside from the above nitpicks I would have also liked to see a complete loss of tv money.

It's not as severe as I would like it to be, but it's not a slap on the wrist either. The program/school's been punished, the statue's been taken down. The last vestige of Paterno's legacy as a coach has been Orwell'd out of official existence. It's acceptable.

Penn State's share from Big Ten bowl revenue (estimated $13 million over 4 years) will be donated to various children's charities around the Big Ten community.

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

I'm just dreading how they're going to sell out every game and talk incessantly about "the healing process" and "WE ARE" and on and on. It's gonna be gross.

av80n.jpg

Oh look.

3mRIm.jpg

I had to stop reading the Black Shoe Diaries and their Pedo State Forever! Rah ! Rah! hull :censored:. They're acting like a bunch of "victims" over there. Sorry guys, you school commits the most egregious crimes in the history of college sports, you get the smackdown. Simple as that. This isn't some players being paid 5 bucks for a latte or even players and boosters doing blow off of hookers stomachs... this was probably the absolute worst thing anyone could have ever done and to cover it up is unforgivable.

I also have to vacate all my college credits from 2004-2008.

In all seriousness: I hope this doesn't have a negative impact on "Thon" which is an event every February that raises upwards of $10 million for pediatric cancer research. Problem is, in the fall the tradition is for fraternities/sororities to spend their weekends in the fall "canning" -- aka going all around the northeast soliciting donations. Now when people see PSU students doing that they'll likely be reluctant to donate, wouldn't you think?

I'm not talking about donating to the school itself--F that.

Also the school is unaffected academically by the Big 10's penalties (aka whatever academic alliances there are remain in-tact 100%).

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

On 7/23/2012 at 10:24 AM, Kramerica Industries said:
On 7/23/2012 at 9:58 AM, the admiral said:

Oh look.

The first two posters there are morons.

Compared to the third one, they look like beacons of intelligence.

Unreal.

On one hand, the third guy needs a good ass-kicking. On the other hand, I've moved on to accept that there will be people like the other two and I just hope that there is some (growing) perspective over there and the reasonable are also the quiet. I don't know that we need to continue to be indignant about the JoPalogists. I think we are all pretty much in unison as non-JoPalogists and the point about the idiots has been made and beaten to death.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

I keep trying to put myself in their shoes and I can't imagine me acting the same way. Illinois isn't good at football so it's not a good comparison but if it turns out a former St Louis Cardinals coach was doing the same thing Sandusky did, and LaRussa, and upper management covered it up, I wouldn't defend the actions and I certainly would accept the punishment.

I'd still be a fan (maybe) but I couldn't defend it like they are. I can barely can defend LaRussa as it is...

I keep trying to put myself in their shoes and I can't imagine me acting the same way. Illinois isn't good at football so it's not a good comparison but if it turns out a former St Louis Cardinals coach was doing the same thing Sandusky did, and LaRussa, and upper management covered it up, I wouldn't defend the actions and I certainly would accept the punishment.

I'd still be a fan (maybe) but I couldn't defend it like they are. I can barely can defend LaRussa as it is...

Yeah, I've thought about that. Wisconsin football is not Penn State Football (or what PSU football was anyway), but it's a pretty big deal. Also, there is nobody nearly as Iconic as Paterno was. I know (possibly after a short period of denial) I would not defend the actions and I would like to think I would not be indignant about this caliber of punishment.

The real question is to what degree would I even be a fan. I don't know. I guess I'd remain one and hope a plucky bunch of underdogs could achieve something. And I guess I'd hope they could get back into that top tier of the Big Ten. But maybe not...it would leave an awfully bad taste in my mouth.

Anyway, I cannot disrespect someone saying "I'll still be a PSU fan. I hope we can have a good program again."

POTD (Shared)

Yeah, I've thought about that. Wisconsin football is not Penn State Football (or what PSU football was anyway), but it's a pretty big deal. Also, there is nobody nearly as Iconic as Paterno was. I know (possibly after a short period of denial) I would not defend the actions and I would like to think I would not be indignant about this caliber of punishment.

Packer fans dodged a bullet - he nearly became head coach in the years following Lombardi.

More fun with Black Shoe Diaries:

Erickson must go now

Fired, resigned, Gricar'd, shot out of a cannon. Don't really care which but it's obvious he does not represent the best interest of PSU and therefore has no business leading the school.

Yeah, that guy should be killed under mysterious circumstances for endangering Penn State football. College football has the worst humans as fans. Tell me I'm wrong.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Exactly. Being as obstinately upset about their "being picked on" by the press, NCAA, et al, just signals to me that there is a lot of people with mental health problems in central Pennsylvania. Their refrain of, it's not fair, is just laughable. You know what wasn't fair. That some old man took dozens of children into their showers and raped them, only to have a bunch of other men know about it and do nothing. Shame there isn't an organization like the NCAA with similar power over the Catholic Church (shame God doesn't/can't level financial penalties and holiness bans for 50 years).

The NCAA got this right. Now all that has to happen is for the players to get on board.

In a perfect world:

Current players all transfer, unpunished. Penn State is forced to replace them, but is severely hampered by the scholarship ban and lack of players wanting to play for them.

Instead of forfeiting every game, their team of scrubs gets annihilated every game, as they go winless next season.

The vacating of the wins is good, if only because it removes Paterno far from the top of the all-time wins chart.

The 60 million fine is a bit low, but I can live it that.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Shame there isn't an organization like the NCAA with similar power over the Catholic Church (shame God doesn't/can't level financial penalties and holiness bans for 50 years).

yeah but, eternal damnation is still a pretty harsh punishment.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived