Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

Packer fans dodged a bullet - he nearly became head coach in the years following Lombardi.

I thought it was the Patriots who were thisclose to hiring him but picked Chuck Fairbanks instead?

I don't know about that, but in 1971 the Packers chose to hire Dan Devine over Paterno.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

College football has the worst humans as fans. Tell me I'm wrong.

Sorry, you're wrong. It's whichever is the big time program in the area. Please check in with a huge bunch of UCLA, University of Kentucky, Duke, Kansas University, or any other place where basketball is king and football is a Saturday afternoon coctail hour event and you'll find the same thing. I was in Lexington when the Sutton era came undone thanks to an assistant coach sending overnight envelopes full of cash to Chris Mill's father. I bet there are still some "Send the Herald to Knoxville" (the Herald-Leader being the Lexington newspaper which broke the story) bumper stickers on some cars there, and I remember Billy Packer getting on CBS (or maybe it was only an SEC game)and crying that the newpaper shouldn't undermine the "program". And this was 1988.

So basically the same bat :censored: reactions for something that was nowhere as egregeous as what went on at Penn State. To some I'm sure it seems like "retconning" to wipe Paterno's record, but to me that sends a very powerful statement to not cover up what you know is wrong so you can profit from it. The man's action completely trashed his "legacy" to most people, now the NCAA has simply formalized it by removing his name from their recordbooks.

Sorry, you're wrong. It's whichever is the big time program in the area. Please check in with a huge bunch of UCLA, University of Kentucky, Duke, Kansas University, or any other place where basketball is king and football is a Saturday afternoon coctail hour event and you'll find the same thing. I was in Lexington when the Sutton era came undone thanks to an assistant coach sending overnight envelopes full of cash to Chris Mill's father. I bet there are still some "Send the Herald to Knoxville" (the Herald-Leader being the Lexington newspaper which broke the story) bumper stickers on some cars there, and I remember Billy Packer getting on CBS (or maybe it was only an SEC game)and crying that the newpaper shouldn't undermine the "program". And this was 1988.

So basically the same bat :censored: reactions for something that was nowhere as egregeous as what went on at Penn State. To some I'm sure it seems like "retconning" to wipe Paterno's record, but to me that sends a very powerful statement to not cover up what you know is wrong so you can profit from it. The man's action completely trashed his "legacy" to most people, now the NCAA has simply formalized it by removing his name from their recordbooks.

Also see Illinois basketball fans v Bruce Pearl and Iowa. I'm pretty sure I've said the words "I Hate Bruce Pearl" but I've let it go long time ago...

Its sports. People take them way too seriously. College Sports seem to be much worse than Professional sports for whatever reason and it doesn't end just with college football.

Seeing the NCAA's punishment I'd give it a B- in terms of what I thought should have been done.

I thought the program should have been shut down for a year and still do. I know Emmert brought up the idea of a program being too big to fail in his statement and that was the first thing I thought of when it became clear the program was not going to be shut down. I really think the NCAA and the Penn State cut some kind of deal in regards to them not getting the death penalty. And I do not think this penalty is worse then the death penalty as some were/are trying to argue.

Beyond that I don't have alot of objections to what the NCAA did. The fact that they have to work over quite a hunk of dough that will go directly to child abuse is something I can really get behind. The message there I think is the football program as an entity was directly responsible for what happened with the coverup of Sandusky and should be forced to pay up like everyone else who had direct involvement. I also like the idea that players can transfer without penalty which I thought should have been allowed to happen much sooner to allow these guys to be better prepared for the upcoming season. And I like the vacating of wins if for no other reason it takes away the wins record from Joe Paterno which in this case is pretty applicable because he had no business being the head coach at Penn State from '98 on given what we now know.

In terms of whether or not the NCAA should have acted, they didn't have a choice. Precedented or not, this is without question the worst scandal in the history of college sports. If NCAA just let that go without taking any action, they might as well just close up shop as it relates to college football.

In terms of the legacy of this for me, I can no longer trust any major college football program as being clean. It was the final loss of innocence for me. Penn State was the only school I thought of as being above Blue Mountain State type behavior. Turns out they were worst of the bunch. So now I can no longer get behind any program or school now matter how clean they may seem to be. And if I can have an interested party, then I can't watch the sport.

This from the guy who is obsessed with the Phoenix Coyotes.

Hehe. One has nothing to do with the other 'red ;)

I think admiral's point stems from the fact that so many PSU fans, and college football fans in general, opposed the idea of the NCAA doing anything to punish PSU because "that's not their job." The people who think college athletics are paramount to the point that they don't believe a program should be punished for enabling a child rapist really are the scum of the earth. Thankfully most people here in this community seem to have their priorities in order, but it doesn't take long to find the meeting places and mouthpieces of the dregs of the college football fandom.

Are all college football fans this delusional? No, and I think it's an exaggeration to claim that they all are this terrible. Still, this tragedy has revealed that terrible element within the NCAA football fandom.

Being upset about the Phoenix Coyotes and the NHL holding a city hostage financially shouldn't disqualify one from pointing that out.

So does this put Eddie Robinson back on top of the all time wins list?

Robinson back atop the overall list, Bowden back atop the Division I list.

I wonder if any Florida State fans I know will have any fun with that. My guess is they, along with every other non-Joepalogist, only really care about the real issues at hand here.

spacer.png

I'm not sure how feasible it would've been, but I feel like Penn State donating significant sums of money (say, $1M) to the families of the victims themselves would've been appropriate here, to cover that angle as well.

Of course, we don't know how many victims are out there that haven't/didn't come forward, and we could be opening up a can of worms of potential impostors, among other things, so that might not have been the greatest idea in the world.

spacer.png

I'm not sure how feasible it would've been, but I feel like Penn State donating significant sums of money (say, $1M) to the families of the victims themselves would've been appropriate here, to cover that angle as well.

Of course, we don't know how many victims are out there that haven't/didn't come forward, and we could be opening up a can of worms of potential impostors, among other things, so that might not have been the greatest idea in the world.

There's a civil suit coming from the families against Penn State that's estimate to be around $100 million, which I would imagine Penn State will just settle out of court, so they'll be getting their money from Penn State one way or another soon.

Why make a donation to the people who are going to own you in the lawsuits? They'll be getting plenty in due time...

Being upset about the Phoenix Coyotes and the NHL holding a city hostage financially shouldn't disqualify one from pointing that out.

No, but I think the fact that there is a percentage of "Joepologists" out there has been well established. At this point, the Master Sergeant is just beating a dead horse.

Anyway, there's something completely :censored:-ed up about football. B)

BB52Big.jpg

I wonder if any Florida State fans I know will have any fun with that. My guess is they, along with every other non-Joepalogist, only really care about the real issues at hand here.

This Florida State fan concurs. (And no, I won't have any fun with that.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

No, but I think the fact that there is a percentage of "Joepologists" out there has been well established. At this point, the Master Sergeant is just beating a dead horse.

Anyway, there's something completely :censored:-ed up about football. B)

Yep, the fans.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived