Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

Penn Staters for Responsible Stewardship sent a letter to Emmert today.

Excerpt

Dr. Emmert,

The undersigned is counsel to Penn Staters for Responsible Stewardship ("PS4RS"), a group of over 5,000 individuals affiliated with Pennsylvania State University (the "University") as alumni, students, benefactors, and friends. This email is in relation to your proposed announcement of "unprecedented" sanctions against the University in connection with certain criminal actions of a former Assistant Football Coach and tenured professor emeritus at the University.

The immediate issue relates to the concept of imposing sanctions on the University based, in whole or in part, upon the findings of an internal investigation commissioned by the University's Board of Trustees ("BoT") and conducted by the private law firm of Freeh, Sporkin & Sullivan ("FSS"). The investigation culminated in a 267 page report (the "FSS Report") which was issued on July 12, 2012.

My client has engaged our firm to conduct a comprehensive review of the FSS Report. While we have only begun our work, upon even a cursory review, we have determined that the FSS Report is fraught with factual and legal errors, filled with opinions and unsupported conclusions, and, in a word, faulty. To rely on such a report to issue punishment of any kind would be beyond reckless.

On behalf of my client, I urge you to reconsider your position. Knee-jerk reactions based upon faulty and incomplete information have been the hallmark of the events that have transpired at the University over the last 8 months. The FSS Report is less than 10 days old, and the 2 other University employees charged with crimes have not even had their day in Court. Should the NCAA move forward tomorrow, whether with the concurrence of the University's administrators or not, you will add yet another sad chapter in a saga that simply has not been fully reviewed and, unfortunately, your actions will set in motion litigation that could be avoided if appropriate consideration is given to the actual facts. Please be guided accordingly.

Robert J. Tribeck, Esquire

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Packer fans dodged a bullet - he nearly became head coach in the years following Lombardi.

I thought it was the Patriots who were thisclose to hiring him but picked Chuck Fairbanks instead?

I don't know about that, but in 1971 the Packers chose to hire Dan Devine over Paterno.

Hey, it would've served Paterno right to get his leg broken, his dog shot, and ran out of town 4 years later :D

Also, to the Paterno Family: the best thing to do when you're deep in a hole is to stop digging...and put the shovel down. Which I guess, in a roundabout way, is saying this: SHUT UP.

No, I want them to dig a hole to China. They're launching a counter-investigation to the Freeh Report! It's gonna be like the South Park episode where Al-Qaeda counters the Mohammad cartoons by making a video of Americans crapping on themselves.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't know if it's just me, but I am still seeing an unbelievable amount of ignorance through social media from the people I know who are Penn Staters, and even some who aren't that are just from Pennsylvania. I am a bit disappointed.

16215.jpg

2503.jpg

5113.gif

787x.jpg

WVU '14

Also, to the Paterno Family: the best thing to do when you're deep in a hole is to stop digging...and put the shovel down. Which I guess, in a roundabout way, is saying this: SHUT UP.

No, I want them to dig a hole to China. They're launching a counter-investigation to the Freeh Report! It's gonna be like the South Park episode where Al-Qaeda counters the Mohammad cartoons by making a video of Americans crapping on themselves.

And that pretty much sums up your recent contributions to this thread. It's one thing to want to see justice done blah blah blah, but now you're hoping for a train wreck just so you'll have something to watch. You're a class act, private.

BB52Big.jpg

No, not really, but if the Paternos are going to put on this ridiculous sideshow, I guess I owe it to them to pay them my two bits a gander.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I was on vacation the last 4 days, so it's nice to come home to see that not only was Paterno's legacy completely destroyed, but the NCAA sent PSU into a 10-15 football grave.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Many people have said it, but Penn State under Paterno the last 20 years have basically been a cult. It has the classic cult profile.

-Main campus located on a large piece of land out in the middle of nowhere away from other major population centers? Check

-Campus used to house impressionable young people who are taught to worship a (then) living figure? Check.

-Use said devotion to perpetrate despicable crimes by one of the cult leaders that the other cult leaders proceed to cover up? Check

-Cult members become insular and protective of cult leaders, when outside authorities come in to investigate and punish for said crimes? Check

All the classic signs. Hell they even had a painted mural of Paterno with a halo over his head, when he was still living. So of course Penn Staters are acting like this. They have been brainwashed.

Basically Penn State fans right now are the same as Scientologist.

Paterno Jong-Il.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

honestly, i'm 100% fine with everything that has been handed to penn state except taking away the wins from 98-11. I don't see where records of games have anything to do with what went down. From an administration stand point, I get it but I don't see why the former players have to pay for someone elses moral mistakes.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Retconning the wins is silly, but so is the incessant blather from Paterno's family and loyalists about his "legacy". The vacating of wins is essentially an officially-sanctioned middle finger to all that, so I'm fine with that.

The monetary punishment is a blip, as we've discussed. The scholarship removals and bowl bans ensure that Penn State will be in the dumper well beyond their four years. Yokels in the stands or not, it probably takes them 10-15 years to approach being competitve again.

I'm not sure the scholarship losses and postseason ban are going to drop Penn State to the Indiana/Minnesota zone of awfulness some are expecting. USC seems to be weathering its penalties reasonably well. Plus, the postseason ban can be balanced out by signing up with Hawaii for a regular season series or checking if Fred Glass at Indiana is willing to sell off another home game to a neutral site.

Now, I think Penn State may drop down to the 5-8 win zone for awhile, but not the depths of the standings.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

A winner in this is the Indiana Hoosiers. They get a guaranteed win now pretty much every year against Penn State for the forseeable future!

LOL No.

I'll be happy if we get one win against them in the next 7 years. Which is one more than ever. Literally.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

A winner in this is the Indiana Hoosiers. They get a guaranteed win now pretty much every year against Penn State for the forseeable future!

I'll take that bet. And I'm willing to guess that rams80 would double-down on it.

In a heartbeat. We're talking about a program that has a losing streak to Ball State.

/Thanks y'alls for giving me avatar inspiration though.

Today, we are all otaku.

Retconning the wins is silly, but so is the incessant blather from Paterno's family and loyalists about his "legacy". The vacating of wins is essentially an officially-sanctioned middle finger to all that, so I'm fine with that.

The monetary punishment is a blip, as we've discussed. The scholarship removals and bowl bans ensure that Penn State will be in the dumper well beyond their four years. Yokels in the stands or not, it probably takes them 10-15 years to approach being competitve again.

I'm not sure the scholarship losses and postseason ban are going to drop Penn State to the Indiana/Minnesota zone of awfulness some are expecting. USC seems to be weathering its penalties reasonably well. Plus, the postseason ban can be balanced out by signing up with Hawaii for a regular season series or checking if Fred Glass at Indiana is willing to sell off another home game to a neutral site.

Now, I think Penn State may drop down to the 5-8 win zone for awhile, but not the depths of the standings.

USC is still USC. They own the state of California when it comes to recruiting. USC at 74 scholarships is still better than most schools are at 85.

Penn State isn't the football hotbed that USC is. Counter that with a 4-year postseason ban and playing with 65 scholarships, they'll be lucky to win any Big Ten games for the duration of the probation, especially starting in 2013. They weren't exactly owning the likes of Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Michigan State to begin with.

USC is still USC. They own the state of California when it comes to recruiting. USC at 74 scholarships is still better than most schools are at 85.

Penn State isn't the football hotbed that USC is. Counter that with a 4-year postseason ban and playing with 65 scholarships, they'll be lucky to win any Big Ten games for the duration of the probation, especially starting in 2013. They weren't exactly owning the likes of Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Michigan State to begin with.

Once again, I'll take that bet.

-------------------------------------------------------------

OK, while Mid Atlantic high school football isn't exactly Texas, who the :censored: starts grabbing ALL of the good players Penn State was taking? West Virginia and VA Tech are pretty much full up anyway. Maryland/Virginia? Don't make me laugh. Pitt-really? REALLY? Rutgers/Syracuse/UConn? *Archimedes laughter clip* The Nittany Lions will still be able to bring in enough players to pick off Indiana, Purdue, their usual diet of cupcakes, and possibly Illinois and whatever Big Ten North bottom feeder rotated onto the schedule in a given season. O'Brien can tell his 2013 recruits "we will get 6 wins minimum when you are Seniors, we will play in the postseason" and he'll almost certainly be right.

Today, we are all otaku.

What sane-and-talented football recruit is going to sign up to play 3 years of football without any hopes of winning any sort of championship just to hopefully win 6 games and play in the Little Caesar's Bowl in his senior season? Especially when the playoffs begin in 2014.

If you're not from Pennsylvania and not a family member of an alum of PSU, what exactly makes State College appealing? Penn State's going to have a roster full of 1-stars and walk-ons just looking to score with co-eds because they play on the football team.

Archived