Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

Penn State's going to have a roster full of 1-stars and walk-ons just looking to score with co-eds because they play on the football team.

There are worse reasons for playing.

There have to be at least a few chicks out there who will admire a guy with the guts to stick with the program.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What sane-and-talented football recruit is going to sign up to play 3 years of football without any hopes of winning any sort of championship just to hopefully win 6 games and play in the Little Caesar's Bowl in his senior season? Especially when the playoffs begin in 2014.

I dunno, how do Tennessee and Kentucky get the players they do get? :rolleyes:

If you're not from Pennsylvania and not a family member of an alum of PSU, what exactly makes State College appealing?

1. Facilities. 100,000 fans per game, national television appearances playing football in one of the best conferences in the country, excellent weight and training rooms, and all the best toys in the world.

2. Coaching. You want to go to the NFL? Well Coach O'Brien here knows exactly what NFL teams are looking for and can help you play football beyond college.

3. Regular season Stealth Bowl Games. Presumably 2 Hawaii vacations for the 2013 recruiting class and the possibility (since Fred Glass doesn't give a crap about his football team except when they are furthering his own cult of personality and funneling money into his athletic coffers) of a Florida vacation or two*.

*-I'm kind of being sarcastic about the Florida thing, but Glass has sold a home game against Penn State before, so who knows.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Pennsylvania absolutely is one of the recruiting hot beds, in the same category as Ohio, Texas, California, and Florida. I don't know any numbers or anything, but I'd assume that California would be #1 based on it's population, but I think it's pretty universally agreed that those are the big states.\

As for who this helps, well the easy answer is Pitt, but I'm not sure. It depends on what the kid is looking for. Pitt really isn't a "college atmosphere" as much as Penn State or any of the other schools where the college is the town. I'd say that this may help Ohio State the most, because they recruit heavily in PA. Same with Syracuse, who is now in the ACC with Pitt, right? Possibly Maryland too, but I'd say that Michigan St and Michigan would be after OSU, Syracuse, and Pitt. Michigan State recruits in PA, not sure about Michigan.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The thing I'm not sure most people realize is that Penn State had/has a top 25 recruiting class heading into this year.

From a recruiting perspective the scandal by itself seemed to have no impact. Big time prospects were still signing up to go there even after the scandal broke.

We'll see if that remains given all the NCAA sanctions but the scandal by itself did not seem to change the atmosphere around Penn State or what players thought of the atmosphere around Penn State. That could be the biggest reason of any why the NCAA had to take action, because the atmosphere does have to change and the only way to get that seems to be forcing the people at College Park to do so kicking and screaming the whole way. And there is going to be plenty of kicking and screaming to come, so get used to it if you still plan on following this story.

Adam Taliafaro (PSU player who broke his neck in a game and was paralyzed for a while) summed up how silly the abandoned records thing is: If we didn't actually play, does that mean I don't have a metal plate in my neck?

Kudos to Bobby Bowden for handling the whole thing with class. I don't think he's a great guy himself (though to my knowledge he's never orchestrated a cover up of child rape) but he handled this very well.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Most teams are set, but I imagine any blue chippers might take the opportunity to go elsewhere because it'll cost them money staying at PSU otherwise. The real programs that should benefit are those ACC and possibly Big East programs where kids want to get closer to home, away from the drama or want to stay on the east coast but want to still play big time college football.

If a school can fill a need, seems like those are guys who'll benefit most.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Pennsylvania absolutely is one of the recruiting hot beds, in the same category as Ohio, Texas, California, and Florida. I don't know any numbers or anything, but I'd assume that California would be #1 based on it's population, but I think it's pretty universally agreed that those are the big states.\

As for who this helps, well the easy answer is Pitt, but I'm not sure. It depends on what the kid is looking for. Pitt really isn't a "college atmosphere" as much as Penn State or any of the other schools where the college is the town. I'd say that this may help Ohio State the most, because they recruit heavily in PA. Same with Syracuse, who is now in the ACC with Pitt, right? Possibly Maryland too, but I'd say that Michigan St and Michigan would be after OSU, Syracuse, and Pitt. Michigan State recruits in PA, not sure about Michigan.

Rutgers has been doing pretty well with PA recruiting as of late.

sig_gai.png

warriorbannerssmall.png

PSU had a huge presence in NJ, so maybe Rutgers would benefit from that, but it's never been looked at as a "first choice" school for good PA recruits (kind of a fall-back option.)

Now with Temple in the picture, and Rutgers undergoing coaching turnover, I wouldn't expect Rutgers to benefit that much (at least from PA.) If you're a top-tier recruit, I'm not sure that the Big East would be where you'd want to go anymore, considering the volatility and diminishing respect.

Actually, could the Big Ten "phase" PSU out by adding a 13th member (so they'd have 12 playoff-eligible teams), then drop PSU after a few years (maybe once their suspension is up), then PSU jump to anchor yet another incarnation of the Big East (or go back to independent status?)

In theory they could, but remember there was that blowout sale on pouty pants when they let Nebraska in because it devalued the academic integrity of the Big Ten schools to have to stage football games with such a fly-by-night operation as the University of Nebraska. If they started playing sports with Kansas or Iowa State, why, that would be more damaging to people's diplomas than this whole thing has been to Penn State grads.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

In theory they could, but remember there was that blowout sale on pouty pants when they let Nebraska in because it devalued the academic integrity of the Big Ten schools to have to stage football games with such a fly-by-night operation as the University of Nebraska. If they started playing sports with Kansas or Iowa State, why, that would be more damaging to people's diplomas than this whole thing has been to Penn State grads.

In fairness, the Big Ten conference is more than just athletics - it's a pooled academic organization as well. I don't know if any other conferences do that, but that's where the concern over academics came in.

PSU had a huge presence in NJ, so maybe Rutgers would benefit from that, but it's never been looked at as a "first choice" school for good PA recruits (kind of a fall-back option.)

Now with Temple in the picture, and Rutgers undergoing coaching turnover, I wouldn't expect Rutgers to benefit that much (at least from PA.) If you're a top-tier recruit, I'm not sure that the Big East would be where you'd want to go anymore, considering the volatility and diminishing respect.

Actually, could the Big Ten "phase" PSU out by adding a 13th member (so they'd have 12 playoff-eligible teams), then drop PSU after a few years (maybe once their suspension is up), then PSU jump to anchor yet another incarnation of the Big East (or go back to independent status?)

Some people "who know people who know people" have stated that the Big Ten has been talking about the idea or kicking Penn State out, for what little it's worth. I think a lot of it depends on circumstances. They difinitely wouldn't kick them out to go back to 11 teams, but if Notre Dame says tomorrow that they want in, Penn State is off to the Big East.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Some people "who know people who know people" have stated that the Big Ten has been talking about the idea or kicking Penn State out, for what little it's worth. I think a lot of it depends on circumstances. They difinitely wouldn't kick them out to go back to 11 teams, but if Notre Dame says tomorrow that they want in, Penn State is off to the Big East.

I don't even think the Big East, as in much turmoil as it is, would take Penn State at this point.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Hey, WVU is always open to good recruits and we aren't far away from State College....

Anyways, I am going to dinner tonight with a girl I am very friendly with who recently just graduated PSU. She has taken a Paterno-like approach and ignored the whole thing. Even though, again, we are pretty close, she recently blocked me on twitter when I merely retweeted something about how Sandusky was going to jail and now more heads must roll. We are going to a sports restaurant where I imagine there were be televisions with SportsCenter and the likes on. Hopefully this doesn't get uncomfortable.

16215.jpg

2503.jpg

5113.gif

787x.jpg

WVU '14

Hey, WVU is always open to good recruits and we aren't far away from State College....

Anyways, I am going to dinner tonight with a girl I am very friendly with who recently just graduated PSU. She has taken a Paterno-like approach and ignored the whole thing. Even though, again, we are pretty close, she recently blocked me on twitter when I merely retweeted something about how Sandusky was going to jail and now more heads must roll. We are going to a sports restaurant where I imagine there were be televisions with SportsCenter and the likes on. Hopefully this doesn't get uncomfortable.

Think about it from her perspective. Anyone that has any real affiliation with the school (student, alum, employee, parent, etc.) is obviously going to be a little more sensitive to the "F Penn State!" hate that people are spewing. It's not that they aren't disgusted and feel for the victims and everything else, it's just that they're tired of seeing it all through their Twitter feed, Facebook, news, e-mails between friends, every web site, etc. Honestly, I don't have any affiliation, but I'd probably block everyone too if that's all I had to read. I'd follow the legitimate news updates, but I don't need to hear every wannabe judge and jury's opinion of how bad the school is, how bad everyone that goes there is, and how they would handle the punishments.

It gets old and honestly creates the opposite effect. Even if I'm a student there and I feel strongly that people need to go to jail, the statue needed to come down, and football be suspended, if all I read is every jackoff saying that I suck and that my school sucks, I'm going to develop a chip on my shoulder and feel like I'm in an "us against the world" type thing.

Think of it as like being a muslim. If you're a muslim, chances are you don't support Al Qaeda or anything that they did, and you're ashamed that some of "your people" would do such a thing, but if all you hear is how bad your race is and how islam sucks, you're going to get defensive and develop an attitude against people who's fundamental point you agree with (that the actions of Al Qaeda were wrong - not that everyone who goes to a mosque is evil.)

The looneys are out in full form today. Woke up this morning to "WE STILL ARE!" posts on Facebook. :rolleyes:

You can't fix stupid.

The eternal optimist in me wants to believe that there are still some good things to celebrate about Penn State and that's what "WE STILL ARE" is referring to. That feeling lasts about four seconds, reality sets in, and I realize that they're mostly idiots.

Still, at some point, we will have to take our foot off the collective throat of Penn State and give them a chance to move in a new direction. Not today, not tomorrow, but someday.

BB52Big.jpg

The looneys are out in full form today. Woke up this morning to "WE STILL ARE!" posts on Facebook. :rolleyes:

You can't fix stupid.

The eternal optimist in me wants to believe that there are still some good things to celebrate about Penn State and that's what "WE STILL ARE" is referring to. That feeling lasts about four seconds, reality sets in, and I realize that they're mostly idiots.

Still, at some point, we will have to take our foot off the collective throat of Penn State and give them a chance to move in a new direction. Not today, not tomorrow, but someday.

Well as an alum there are.

Here's one example: http://www.thon.org/

It doesn't have to be about football though...you can still fight cancer without having a football team.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I would think it's just saying that despite everything that's happening, there's a lot of things about the school that you can still take pride in. Would you want to pay a big tuition check and walk around campus for 4 years just feeling like crap and that you're wasting money? The link that NJM posted is just one example of the good things that still go on there (which is really not much different than the good things that any major school has). In reality, this whole scandal really doesn't change anything significant when it comes to philanthropy, education, and research. It was about having terrible leaders who allowed their lust for football money and reputation get in the way of better judgement. Those leaders are gone, and the football program is essentially gone too, so that it can't have as much influence over things as it once did. At the end of the day, for your average engineering or nursing student, nothing has changed except you have a little extra time on Saturdays now.

Archived