CFL 2012

Nook

Apparently, 72% of Blue Bombers fans love the gold away jerseys (That according to the team's official website).

WHAT?! 72% in favor of the gold away jerseys?!

Besides, I see Winnipeg's new unis as an epic downgrade. They should've gone with their throwbacks to complement the newly revived "Block W" logo.

Love the new retro-esque looks for the Argos and Ti-Cats.

As for the Montreal Alouettes, they look like a college team now with the new home unis.

YOZXkBG.png?1

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first impressions:

Winnipeg: Push - All in all I like it about the same as the old ones. They still have a solid color scheme and the two color numbers look good, but the W logo is boring as hell to me (I've always thought so going back to the 70s). I actually preferred the old (helmet AND jersey) design with the white italic W and lightning ball used in the 90s and early 2000s. I dislike the piping on the sides, plus the sleeves look odd and the W on the sleeves is too small. Also the gold jersey would be better as an alternate, and the numbers appear thinner on the golds.

Hamilton: Upgrade - I love almost everything. The gold and white numbers, the removal of piping, the pants stripes and the return of the arm stripes are all welcome; though I'd have made the upper sleeve white on the homes like in the old days, and perhaps put a white stripe on the pants between the other stripes. I preferred the script wordmark to the generic block wordmarks but its not a big thing. I don't like the removal of the helmet stripe. What's with most teams losing helmet stripes?? Hamilton's always had them, plus it looks odd having no stripes on the helmet and so many on the rest of the uni.

Montreal: Push - Still a cut and paste nightmare of old designs. Blecch. It's improved SLIGHTLY by the addition of silver on the jersies (which balances it out a bit), but the massive wordmark is horrible and takes it down a notch. I can't tell from the pictures so far, but it looks like the awful pointy stripe on the pants may be gone. If so, it could be a slight upgrade. Me, I'd have blown it all up and started fresh.

Toronto: Upgrade - I admit I liked the curvy number font of old, and I prefer two color numbers at the very least. But the one color block numbers look good. The stripes are a nice throwback to their old unis of the 60s and they look nice. The A-shield looks odd on a throwbacky design and the helmet needs stripes, but overall a pretty nice look.

Saskatchewan (Unofficially): Downgrade - Maybe it'll look better on a fully equipped player but those white torso and side panels look f-ing terrible. And then there's even MORE piping... ish. I was also hoping for stripes of some kind on the sleeves, and there isn't even that! Anyway, I'd love to see a return of the long, swooshy helmet logo but I am not holding my breath... and let's hope they go back to silver pants. Keep the whites for the throwbacks.

My first impressions:

Hamilton: Upgrade - I love almost everything. The gold and white numbers, the removal of piping, the pants stripes and the return of the arm stripes are all welcome; though I'd have made the upper sleeve white on the homes like in the old days, and perhaps put a white stripe on the pants between the other stripes. I preferred the script wordmark to the generic block wordmarks but its not a big thing. I don't like the removal of the helmet stripe. What's with most teams losing helmet stripes?? Hamilton's always had them, plus it looks odd having no stripes on the helmet and so many on the rest of the uni.

Not always

joe-montford.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

My first impressions:

Not always

joe-montford.png

My bad. I think I'd washed that hideous design out of my memory...

I agree with most here, Hamilton is a big win. I do wish it had a helmet stripe as well, but the helmet isn't bad. I'm going to miss the other script font.

Winnipeg... ehhhh. The block W looks awesome with the retro unis, not with the modern. retro would have been a smart and easy choice, so naturally that didn't happen.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

The Riders would've been better off to keep last year's jerseys as opposed to changing. I don't know... maybe they'll grow on me, but they are a huge disappointment. However, judging by how the organization has operated the last 3 or 4 seasons, it doesn't really surprise me that they picked the ugliest/plainest design.

I think that's what bothers me the most... It's plain. You can do simple 'right', like Toronto did... but Saskatchewan chose to do it completely wrong.

I like how Hamilton, Toronto, Montreal and Winnipeg all came back with certain aspects of their history. Hamilton and Toronto with the stripes, Winnipeg with the 'W', and Montreal stayed with a design that they've been highly successful in.

I suppose I should pass judgement on the on-field jerseys with the complete uniform, but right now.. ick.

Not digging the new Bombers look too much. The gold on the shoulders look out of place on the home set, and it's disappointing to see they're sticking with the dark blue instead of going full retro which is what I was hoping they would do. Not crazy about the gold away jersey idea either. Looks like a bad 3rd jersey to me. And it seams like I'm the only one who actually prefers the previous logo over the "W" they're going with now. Idk, just seems like they couldn't decided which route to take, modern, retro, or current, so they went with a little of each resulting in a confusing mish-mash of jersey. But to my surprise, it seems like I'm in the minority on this.

Everybody else gets a thumbs up from me.

Hamilton- Best new look overall. I think it would have been perfect had they put a double stripe of gold just as they did on their black pants, but even then it looks pretty sharp. I understand they're trying to shake looking like Pittsburgh little brother. The result looks like an established team with a long history trying to strike out on their own. I'm sure Edmonton will try to shake the Packers stigma from their identity as well. Also, I know they're gonna do it at least once, but I really wish they wouldn't go all black. For Hamilton a black jersey should always be with gold pants- just good tradition.

Montreal- I understand why they kept the overall look of their uniforms; because they've been all but unstoppable in them. So while there are some inconsistencies between the home and away sets, it isn't offensive. Pity they couldn't have tweaked all the minor niggles out of them as it really wouldn't have been so hard.

Toronto- I kind of like that they only altered the jerseys and left everything else alone. It's retro, but it works in the same way the Redskins or old school Steelers works. The only two alterations I might have made would be to add light blue socks to the dark blue away pants and alter the team logo either by bringing back the "Jason" logo or something simpler like change the "A" to a "T". I know the A has a lot of history, but I'm of the mind that if your logo must have an initial it should be after the place the team is based rather than the team's nickname....

Winnipeg- I like the away set is the negative opposite of the home set having a gold jersey in place of a white one is actually kind of original and it still works as an away set. That said I believe they dropped the ball overall. I do think the jersey design is too busy and I really think they should have gone back to Royal Blue over the Navy Blue they share with Toronto. I think their gold would have looked better as an Old Gold versus their Vegas Gold. I also think they should have embraced more of WWII bomber crew look and not readopted their plain "W". The numbers would have looked better as plain white (or blue) stencils like something painted on an old bomber plane. And finally I would rather they took their last thunderbolt W logo and retrofit it to look like an old bomber wing logo one might have found on the side of a plane or a flight crew's jacket. It would have also offered some continuity with their local hockey team brethren's aerial theme.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Apparently, 72% of Blue Bombers fans love the gold away jerseys (That according to the team's official website).

WHAT?! 72% in favor of the gold away jerseys?!

For some, love of their team blinds them to everything. They will pay any price to see the team stay, be happy with whatever logo, colour scheme the team wears.

The Bombers could have gone with the uniforms from the LFL and 72% would have love the bold direction...

tigercatssignature-1.png

While I take great joy whenever the 'Riders screw up, the Saskatchewan jersey leak has me concerned for the Stampeders unveiling happening later today. Please, please have my Stamps closer on the uniform scale to Hamilton and Toronto than Saskatchewsuck and Winnipeg!

Archived