CFL 2012

Nook

crop_1835485.jpeg

I still don't understand that choice of number font for the Stamps. It's way too futuristic. I always thought they should have gone with something more Western-y, like the font the Renegades used.

ErnQc.jpg

Absolutly.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Riders ass "tramp-stamp" logo is one of the funniest things I've seen. Couldn't be happier such an abomination of a jersey is going to be torchering every bodies favorite fanbase each time they step out on the field. lol What an embarrassment! :D

As for my Lions, call me relieved! I was extremely concerned when the league announced every team was getting new unis as I loved their old set, but the "new" jerseys are a great example of addition by subtraction. Although I wouldn't have minded at all if they had gone full retro with these...

badfea8c4b23b47bf0c0425f6da8.jpg

B)

Stamps road stay unchanged. That home jersey is really nice though!

They changed the worst aspect of the road. The bib is no more.

Yes it was changed and yes, the bib looking shoulders was the worst idea ever. I liked the idea of red shoulders but now they got it right.

Old away jersey for comparison:

1322771577115_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

BLEUETS EVALUATION AND STANDINGS OF THE REENGINEERED JERSEYS

I'll try to be objective, short. + means upgrade, = means no upgrade no downgrade, - means downgrade

1. HAMILTON +

6990228466_93c25cefd1.jpg

Huge upgrade to a well deserving fan crowd, great reference to the past of the Ti-Cats, tradition, stripes, they obviously gave their fans what they asked for.

2. EDMONTON +

7136313623_846d6dcee9.jpg

Nothing wrong in mixing retro and modern styling. Some will dislike the side panels but certainly these unis give the Esks their own personality. Take note Montreal.

3. TORONTO +

6990228568_ebc2e2bcd6.jpg

Improvement on previous rather dull look, two tone blue is OK for them for history reference. Could see outline numbers but all fine.

4. WINNIPEG =

6990228602_fb01292dd3.jpg

Many thought a retro look for them. They got everyone on the wrong track with a retro W but in the end, I like what they did. You can't take hem for another team.

5 AND 6 (TIED) MONTREAL AND CALGARY =

6990229998_5914b79dff.jpg

6990321796_e5a56a27bd.jpg

Obvioulsy, these teams management asked almost no changes. So no blame to Reebok for doing what they asked for.

Missed opportunity for the Als for a fresh look a la Eskimos and for the Stampeders to get rid of these digital numbers.

7. SASKATCHEWAN -

6990228520_98cbc9011c.jpg

One of the greatest dissapointement. You can't mess with the Riders. Who should we blame? Reebok? The team's management? This is not cool, does'nt even look football.

8. B.C. -

7136294941_26d5280f34.jpg

At least, their previous kits did not look like training jerseys.

CONCLUSION

Overall, I see a moderate upgrade in the league's jerseys and unis. Again, Reebok probably had instructions from some teams and no blame can be adressed to them if they kept conservative approach in some cases.

Saskatchewan's unis are literally straight out of the Madden Create-A-Team. Jersey and pants striping. And the mismatching is just awful.

Other than that, I'm not a fan of the Eskimos' roads, the different logo on the Stampeders' roads, or the Alouettes anything. The rest all look really good though.

Saskatchewan: Absolutely UGLY!!! Why couldn't they have kept the previous design or gone retro a la Hamilton or Toronto?

B.C.: Basically the same as their previous design minus the piping.

Calgary: Names on the back of the road jersey should be white instead of black.

Edmonton: Love the classic yet modern style they rolled out.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Hands down, Hamilton has the best look with the Riders coming out looking for the worse. The Ti-cats did a great job of doing a modern take on their old uniforms. I have no idea what the heck Saskatchewan was thinking. The only thing redeeming thing about them is that they are still green.

I have no problems with Monteal making little to no changes except for the addition of Alouettes on their homes.

Yes, it's plain, but BC's jerseys are nice and even better now without the useless black outline on the shoulders.

Calgary upgraded over their previous set, but I'm not a fan of the red shoulders and their weird number font. I like how they plan on wearing red socks with the black pants.

The Eskimos get points for their new homes, but thumbs down for the road set, including the green helmet. I guess it makes sense since they are going with the green pants, but I still don't like it.

Argos with the Steelers repaint is looking good.

Some hate the sleeves on the Bombers new jerseys, but I sort of like them. But, people like the new block W logo, yet I think it's too simple.

My first impressions:

Montreal: Push - Still a cut and paste nightmare of old designs. Blecch. It's improved SLIGHTLY by the addition of silver on the jersies (which balances it out a bit), but the massive wordmark is horrible and takes it down a notch. I can't tell from the pictures so far, but it looks like the awful pointy stripe on the pants may be gone. If so, it could be a slight upgrade. Me, I'd have blown it all up and started fresh.

Montreal- I understand why they kept the overall look of their uniforms; because they've been all but unstoppable in them. So while there are some inconsistencies between the home and away sets, it isn't offensive. Pity they couldn't have tweaked all the minor niggles out of them as it really wouldn't have been so hard.

6989466370_0924601aab_b.jpg

Like I said, the Alouettes' new uniforms could be better. The road suits still look awesome, home suits need work.

The Argos homepage was just given a new look yesterday and the light blue around the edge of the shield now seems a lot more grey blue. Not as grey as it was when they originally introduced the logo in 2005 but definitely darker blue than it was before yesterday. Does anyone (colorwerx?) know if they've officially changed it?

for reference:

Toronto_Argonauts-logo-B49F1D1F8E-seeklogo.com.gif

1996-present

Toronto%20argos%20logo.gif

argos homepage as of yesterday

argos.png

zzPEfBm.png

Well, revised grades:

1. Hamilton. No change from yesterday. They did the best job and it works. Grade: A.

2. B.C. Less is more and I think the Lions just didn't feel a need for stripes, bells and whistles. I'm actually surprised the numbers stayed on the sleeves. In this day and age, it's logo on the sleeve and number on the shoulder. Grade: A-minus.

3. Montreal. Still a B-minus. Could have been at least a B-plus if they had fixed the number font inconsistency.

4. Toronto. Warming up on them a little bit but I still wish we could see light blue trim around the numbers. Grade: B-minus.

5. Calgary. I hate the number font but they did the best job of cleaning up a modern look. The bib is gone on the roadies and that's a very good thing. Grade: B-minus.

6. Edmonton. The low grade is going to be mostly on the basis of the road uniform. A green shoulder yoke in a similar fashion to the Tennessee Titans might have been OK. What they did is too much. Still not a fan of the drop-shadow number font, which I've had some difficulty reading on TV, especially on the green unis. Grade: C.

7. Winnipeg. I still feel a white road uniform would have been much better. Or, to be honest, if you're gonna go gold on the road, pair it with WHITE pants. I think that would actually look much, much better than the blue pants. Grade: D.

8. Saskatchewan. Exactly as I feared when I saw the leak yesterday. No, actually, it's worse. Now you have the jersey stripe leading down into a pant stripe of the opposite color AND a tramp stamp. I'm not even sure what the point of the ass logo is; it'll probably be tucked into the pants most of the time. The Riders uniform has been getting crapper ever since they ditched the wrap-around helmet logo. I get to watch my favorite team look like ass the next three or four years. Great. Grade: F-minus.

LOL @ Rider ass logo

I don't know why Calgary uses so much black... I guess since Ottawa dropped out of the league, someone had to fill the vacuum of predominantly black-wearing teams.

Anyway, I really wish this whole business of having one company redo all the jerseys at once goes by the wayside. Better to just let it happen when the teams actually want to change them.

If that's the case it shows how short sighted they are being. Ottawa will be back in the league in a couple of years and no doubt will be donning a black, red, and white colour scheme. The CFL has always done one thing right and that is each team has its own distinctive look (at one point every team used a different helmet colour). Some of these changes have taken away from that. Edmonton's road look is similar to Sask's due to the green helmet and pants. The Stamps and Rough Riders 2.0 (I know they won't be using the Riders nickname but I will refer to them as that until they come up with a new one) will definitely look similar as well.

If that's the case it shows how short sighted they are being. Ottawa will be back in the league in a couple of years and no doubt will be donning a black, red, and white colour scheme. The CFL has always done one thing right and that is each team has its own distinctive look (at one point every team used a different helmet colour). Some of these changes have taken away from that. Edmonton's road look is similar to Sask's due to the green helmet and pants. The Stamps and Rough Riders 2.0 (I know they won't be using the Riders nickname but I will refer to them as that until they come up with a new one) will definitely look similar as well.

Now that you mention it, there is an awful lot of repetition of colours for an 8-team league. The Lions and Ti-Cats are distinctive enough from everybody else that they aren't an issue. Even the Eskimos and Riders aren't close enough to cause much concern. But Calgary has gone from red and white to red, black and white which are Ottawa's traditional colours and presumably the ones they will use when they re-enter the league in 2015. Then you have Toronto, Montreal and Winnipeg all using heavy doses of blue.

I sort of wish that Montreal had retained its original colours of red and green - perhaps not the greatest looking but at least they would have been distinctive. No question that every team should have a different helmet colour.

Picture won't display, and there is a public show of them later this evening, but the Stamps have (the black helmet and) white pants for the away white jersey...the white pants have no side stripes (just like the black don't).

I despise the black leotard look for football pants, and now the Stamps have taken it further and added white pants with no stripes to the exsisting black stripless set. The black set came from the third alternate set a few years ago, but eventually took over from the red (shiny) pants on the road, and soon enough white pants at home. They came out with modfieid (dull) red pants last year with wide-ish side stripes, but used them one or two times, and now they are dropped. No pant stripes looks absolutely brutal on black, and even worse on white.

Do an all black alternate, and keep the black to that, helmet, trim and stripless pants...all of it.

Outside of that...meh. Pretty uninspiring, considering teams probably had a clean slate to tweak designs and the Stamps, who had meh before, still have a meh, without piping. Would've loved to see a nod back the 70's and 80's red with silver arm stripes, or, be really bold and bring back silver pants...anything to reduce the black.

Thank goodness for no tramp stamp though.

The Argos homepage was just given a new look yesterday and the light blue around the edge of the shield now seems a lot more grey blue. Not as grey as it was when they originally introduced the logo in 2005 but definitely darker blue than it was before yesterday. Does anyone (colorwerx?) know if they've officially changed it?

They said at the event yesterday that they changed the Pantone value to bring it in line with what it was originally, way back when the colors were first used. It looks a lot different. In person, it almost has a greenish tint to it.

Archived