CFL 2012

Nook

The Argos homepage was just given a new look yesterday and the light blue around the edge of the shield now seems a lot more grey blue. Not as grey as it was when they originally introduced the logo in 2005 but definitely darker blue than it was before yesterday. Does anyone (colorwerx?) know if they've officially changed it?

They said at the event yesterday that they changed the Pantone value to bring it in line with what it was originally, way back when the colors were first used. It looks a lot different. In person, it almost has a greenish tint to it.

Now, when you say "greenish", do you mean, well, greenish?

61765_03_lg.jpg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Argos homepage was just given a new look yesterday and the light blue around the edge of the shield now seems a lot more grey blue. Not as grey as it was when they originally introduced the logo in 2005 but definitely darker blue than it was before yesterday. Does anyone (colorwerx?) know if they've officially changed it?

They said at the event yesterday that they changed the Pantone value to bring it in line with what it was originally, way back when the colors were first used. It looks a lot different. In person, it almost has a greenish tint to it.

Thanks.

zzPEfBm.png

My first impressions:

Winnipeg: Push - All in all I like it about the same as the old ones. They still have a solid color scheme and the two color numbers look good, but the W logo is boring as hell to me (I've always thought so going back to the 70s). I actually preferred the old (helmet AND jersey) design with the white italic W and lightning ball used in the 90s and early 2000s. I dislike the piping on the sides, plus the sleeves look odd and the W on the sleeves is too small. Also the gold jersey would be better as an alternate, and the numbers appear thinner on the golds.

Hamilton: Upgrade - I love almost everything. The gold and white numbers, the removal of piping, the pants stripes and the return of the arm stripes are all welcome; though I'd have made the upper sleeve white on the homes like in the old days, and perhaps put a white stripe on the pants between the other stripes. I preferred the script wordmark to the generic block wordmarks but its not a big thing. I don't like the removal of the helmet stripe. What's with most teams losing helmet stripes?? Hamilton's always had them, plus it looks odd having no stripes on the helmet and so many on the rest of the uni.

Montreal: Push - Still a cut and paste nightmare of old designs. Blecch. It's improved SLIGHTLY by the addition of silver on the jersies (which balances it out a bit), but the massive wordmark is horrible and takes it down a notch. I can't tell from the pictures so far, but it looks like the awful pointy stripe on the pants may be gone. If so, it could be a slight upgrade. Me, I'd have blown it all up and started fresh.

Toronto: Upgrade - I admit I liked the curvy number font of old, and I prefer two color numbers at the very least. But the one color block numbers look good. The stripes are a nice throwback to their old unis of the 60s and they look nice. The A-shield looks odd on a throwbacky design and the helmet needs stripes, but overall a pretty nice look.

Saskatchewan (Unofficially): Downgrade - Maybe it'll look better on a fully equipped player but those white torso and side panels look f-ing terrible. And then there's even MORE piping... ish. I was also hoping for stripes of some kind on the sleeves, and there isn't even that! Anyway, I'd love to see a return of the long, swooshy helmet logo but I am not holding my breath... and let's hope they go back to silver pants. Keep the whites for the throwbacks.

The rest of my first impressions:

Saskatchewan: Still a Downgrade - Yep, the side panels aren't good. As I'd hoped they do look somewhat better on an equipped player, but still. Also the photos show two different cuts where the front paneling goes up higher on one than the other. Odd and messy. No swooshy helmet logo... oh, well. I'm not a fan of the pants. I hate those kinds of stripes. And no silver pants? Come on, it IS a team color, it looks silly having silver only in the logos. Also... a jersey ass logo? WTF?

Edmonton: Downgrade - The home uni is solid, the away is horrid. Those panels look awful, and I'm not crazy about the green helmet. The paneling is way worse than Saskatchewan's, which is a shock to me.

Calgary: Push - They lost the ugly piping, the bib look and the weird vertical striping on the arms; which was good. However, they kept that FUGLY number font, added black lettering on the aways, and now have black leotards with no striping. Ugh! If they only use red helmets or at least add some red to the black helmets it could be a slight upgrade.

B.C. Lions: Upgrade - No more piping. Beautiful! Sure, arm and helmet stripes would be nice but it's better than what they had.

I'm happy with the Stampeders home look, and I especially like the black pants paired with the red jersey and helmet. Don't particularly like the font, but the 4 is not too bad so I picked myself up a Drew Tate on the way home from work.

Terrible, terrible, and terrible. I don't know what it is about the Stampeders, but like their NHL counterparts, their uniforms get worse and worse by the decade.

As of this year the Stamps are majority owned by the Flames... there is your connection lol

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Now, when you say "greenish", do you mean, well, greenish?

61765_03_lg.jpg

Not that green, but closer to that color than to the light blue they had on their uniforms last season was.

My first impressions:

Winnipeg: Push - All in all I like it about the same as the old ones. They still have a solid color scheme and the two color numbers look good, but the W logo is boring as hell to me (I've always thought so going back to the 70s). I actually preferred the old (helmet AND jersey) design with the white italic W and lightning ball used in the 90s and early 2000s. I dislike the piping on the sides, plus the sleeves look odd and the W on the sleeves is too small. Also the gold jersey would be better as an alternate, and the numbers appear thinner on the golds.

Hamilton: Upgrade - I love almost everything. The gold and white numbers, the removal of piping, the pants stripes and the return of the arm stripes are all welcome; though I'd have made the upper sleeve white on the homes like in the old days, and perhaps put a white stripe on the pants between the other stripes. I preferred the script wordmark to the generic block wordmarks but its not a big thing. I don't like the removal of the helmet stripe. What's with most teams losing helmet stripes?? Hamilton's always had them, plus it looks odd having no stripes on the helmet and so many on the rest of the uni.

Montreal: Push - Still a cut and paste nightmare of old designs. Blecch. It's improved SLIGHTLY by the addition of silver on the jersies (which balances it out a bit), but the massive wordmark is horrible and takes it down a notch. I can't tell from the pictures so far, but it looks like the awful pointy stripe on the pants may be gone. If so, it could be a slight upgrade. Me, I'd have blown it all up and started fresh.

Toronto: Upgrade - I admit I liked the curvy number font of old, and I prefer two color numbers at the very least. But the one color block numbers look good. The stripes are a nice throwback to their old unis of the 60s and they look nice. The A-shield looks odd on a throwbacky design and the helmet needs stripes, but overall a pretty nice look.

Saskatchewan (Unofficially): Downgrade - Maybe it'll look better on a fully equipped player but those white torso and side panels look f-ing terrible. And then there's even MORE piping... ish. I was also hoping for stripes of some kind on the sleeves, and there isn't even that! Anyway, I'd love to see a return of the long, swooshy helmet logo but I am not holding my breath... and let's hope they go back to silver pants. Keep the whites for the throwbacks.

The rest of my first impressions:

Saskatchewan: Still a Downgrade - Yep, the side panels aren't good. As I'd hoped they do look somewhat better on an equipped player, but still. Also the photos show two different cuts where the front paneling goes up higher on one than the other. Odd and messy. No swooshy helmet logo... oh, well. I'm not a fan of the pants. I hate those kinds of stripes. And no silver pants? Come on, it IS a team color, it looks silly having silver only in the logos. Also... a jersey ass logo? WTF?

Edmonton: Downgrade - The home uni is solid, the away is horrid. Those panels look awful, and I'm not crazy about the green helmet. The paneling is way worse than Saskatchewan's, which is a shock to me.

Calgary: Push - They lost the ugly piping, the bib look and the weird vertical striping on the arms; which was good. However, they kept that FUGLY number font, added black lettering on the aways, and now have black leotards with no striping. Ugh! If they only use red helmets or at least add some red to the black helmets it could be a slight upgrade.

B.C. Lions: Upgrade - No more piping. Beautiful! Sure, arm and helmet stripes would be nice but it's better than what they had.

I agree with all your pet peeves. I find it so ironic that CFL teams would rather look like high-school and XFL teams than big league football clubs. Jersey ads are an unfortunate fact of Canadian sports reality, but PLEASE, let's look more professional.

Hamilton: I love the return to the tiger stripe sleeves, but the removal of the helmet stripe is cheap. They should've gone back to the original gold helmets with the black stripe with white trimming.

Montreal: The Als make the Concordes look good. At least in attire. The over-sized wordmark is bush-league and it's time to go back to the AM logo or make the bird look more simplistic.

Winnipeg: While I love the return to the old W, I still like the distinctive italic W, but in white with the lightning ball. Gold jerseys are unique, but they need a white away jersey.

Edmonton: Don't like the green helmet either. Most of all, it's time to go back to the iconic Double E logo from their Grey Cup dynasty years.

Calgary: Just stick with red and white and call it a day. Black and red is for Ottawa's future return. Having silver trimming like in the 80s would look great.

BC: The Lions have taken the safest approach, but again, this lack of helmet striping is just pure marketing laziness. A return to the 80s helmets and matching pants with the current logo and colours should have been the way to go.

As I expected--these would get some varied reviews with some differing opinions--so here are my thoughts-

Overall--better than the last update.

TiCats--improved--eliminated the piping. I like the yellow numbers

Bombers- Pre RBK they had a great uni, Post RBK--okay, and this improves on the first RBK versions, but not as good as pre-RBK. I do like the sleeves.

Als--no big change--just the larger lettering--hard to say--although the numbers look a little low.

Argos-definite upgrade, better strips and loss of piping

Riders--worst of the lot--they added piping! All they needed was to remove the piping. And those triangles look odd.

Stamps--I like these better than the initial RBK ones, dumped the piping and the bib, BUT still not as classy as the pre RBK unis--too much black. The font doesn't bother me--but the away unis should have red numbers. And while I've been mentioning the jerseys--the Stamps need to lose the balck pyjama pants. I wish the home & away matched more. I like the away look--not crazy about the home ones--but they are better than what they had.

Esks--home ones are about the same--other than sleeve stripes, they should have done yellow sleeves like the green ones on the away unis. Those are an improvement--and I like the green helmets.

Lions--good job on losing the piping, but the rest is quite plain--needs some stripes or something.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Calgary: Just stick with red and white and call it a day. Black and red is for Ottawa's future return.

This^^^ Back is okay as a trim colour--but they are the red & white.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Per the Riders Online Store:

"New Rider jersey for the upcoming 2012 season.

Customize with the name and number of your choice with premium heat sealed lettering."

Yay! I hope it's just laminate at this point. Colored masking tape. Extra $50 for a scotch-tape nameplate.

I've mentioned this a few times the last few months, both here and on Twitter, but the new lighter Blue for the Argonauts uses a PANTONE Goe color. PANTONE Goe is the "newer" Pantone solid/spot library that Pantone introduced a few years ago. The Argos are the second example of a pro sports team to utilize a Goe color - the Packers' "Acme" Packers throwbacks being the first - and the Argos are the first to use one as a primary color.

Here are the last four Argonauts primary marks - RGB-optimized of course:

TorontoArgonauts_PMK01a_1995-2004_SCC_SRGB.png

TorontoArgonauts_PMK01a_2005_SCC_SRGB.png

TorontoArgonauts_PMK01a_2006-2011_SCC_SRGB.png

TorontoArgonauts_PMK01a_2012-9999_SCC_SRGB.png

The last one looks the best.

I agree with you (in regards to the shield - personally, I'm more partial to the Jason logo). The color in the last one is a neat shade that works well with the navy. Not that the others don't, necessarily, but I just like the way the last one looks more. Not as dull as the grey, and not as bright as the light blue - a great middle-ground color.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Geez, the Argos really had something great with that "Jason shield" logo! It's a shame they threw it away. I'm shocked the shield hasn't disappeared too, leaving just a boring "A".

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

I agree with you (in regards to the shield - personally, I'm more partial to the Jason logo). The color in the last one is a neat shade that works well with the navy. Not that the others don't, necessarily, but I just like the way the last one looks more. Not as dull as the grey, and not as bright as the light blue - a great middle-ground color.

If the Jason logo had the bottom shield on it, then that by far would be their best logo.

spacer.png

If the Jason logo had the bottom shield on it, then that by far would be their best logo.

The one problem with that though is the outer part of the shield wouldn't match with the rest of the armor, which is gray. Don't get me wrong, I think your suggestion would still look good, it's just that the continuity of depitcted material (in this case, the metal of the armor) would be lost.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

torontoargonauts.png

What about this configuration? I think this is the best possible solution, this could make me an Argo fan, and I'm born and raised in Hamilton!!!

Perfecto! Looks great.

I also prefer the new light blue shade to the old one... I always felt it was way too bright.

Archived