Should Penn State Adopt a New Helmet For 2012 and Beyond?

tuffytoro

With a new Penn State football coach almost a certainty for 2012, I think it will be time for the Nittany Lions to add their rather handsome lion's head logo to their helmets. At this point, their blank helmet no longer represents the tradition of the program, but a sort of moral nothingness, a void, a cover-up.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a pretty sweet logo, and is perfect for a helmet, but I think I'd rather them go with numbers if they added anything.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Okay back on topic - What new type of uniform would suffice a new Penn State program? Would you like to see a logo on the white helmet, or maybe a blue helmet with a white logo?

Blue helmet with a white logo might be a nice change.

Okay back on topic - What new type of uniform would suffice a new Penn State program? Would you like to see a logo on the white helmet, or maybe a blue helmet with a white logo?

I could see something like this with a white logo...the facemask would need to be in white.

orig_ION_Gallery_Image.jpg

spacer.png

Penn State needs a modern uniform. They have a very modern looking logo, with a very classic look. If they ever want to incorporate the logo into the uniform, they'll need to modernize their unis. WARNING: HIGHLY UNPOPULAR OPINION APPROACHING: I think Penn State should undergo an ASU-like redesign. I know more and more schools are adding grey, but after seeing the new basketball unis, the Nittany lions look good in grey. Blue, White, and Grey helmet, Jersey, and pants would be fine. Nothing quite like Oregon, but three of each should suffice.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Penn State needs a modern uniform.

No, they don't. Penn State's brand is their traditional, some would say plain, uniforms. Forcing them to wear mix-and-match/overly modern stuff would be like forcing Oregon to wear their throwbacks full time.

Some schools have built fairly successful "brands" around modern uniforms, others have established brands that have stood the test of time, and as a result have resulted in very strong merchandise sales. Penn State belongs to the latter group.

No, they don't. Penn State's brand is their traditional, some would say plain, uniforms. Forcing them to wear mix-and-match/overly modern stuff would be like forcing Oregon to wear their throwbacks full time.

Some schools have built fairly successful "brands" around modern uniforms, others have established brands that have stood the test of time, and as a result have resulted in very strong merchandise sales. Penn State belongs to the latter group.

I agree, Penn State has built up a very successful brand with their traditional uniforms. And if they never changed, that would be fine with me. But if all of these allegations are true, especially with all of the change in college football, a time for a rebrand will never have been better. And their uniforms don't actually predate Joe Pa. They started wearing blank helmets in 1974, and didn't have a blue facemask until 1987.

Just look at this logo:

penn_state_sm.gif

To me, it screams modern. This logo wouldn't look right one their current set.

Plus, I think the whole mix and match is great for college football. I;m not talking about BFBS or stuff like that, I;m talking about teams like Washington State, Wyoming, Oklahoma State, and ASU, who have all gone under great rebrands. It's a simple fact that their getting more attention then they previously did. And notice that all of them are winning. I don't know what this has to do with uniforms, but it might bring some credence to the theory that with new uniforms, come new confidence.

And you can't deny that it makes for another reason to watch college ball: you never know what they're going to wear. :grin:

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I agree, Penn State has built up a very successful brand with their traditional uniforms. And if they never changed, that would be fine with me. But if all of these allegations are true, especially with all of the change in college football, a time for a rebrand will never have been better. And their uniforms don't actually predate Joe Pa. They started wearing blank helmets in 1974, and didn't have a blue facemask until 1987.

Just look at this logo:

penn_state_sm.gif

To me, it screams modern. This logo wouldn't look right one their current set.

Plus, I think the whole mix and match is great for college football. I;m not talking about BFBS or stuff like that, I;m talking about teams like Washington State, Wyoming, Oklahoma State, and ASU, who have all gone under great rebrands. It's a simple fact that their getting more attention then they previously did. And notice that all of them are winning. I don't know what this has to do with uniforms, but it might bring some credence to the theory that with new uniforms, come new confidence.

And you can't deny that it makes for another reason to watch college ball: you never know what they're going to wear. :grin:

That logo does seem modern...and Ice_Cap said their uniforms predate Paterno, well considering I was not alive then I could care less. I have only know Penn State as Joe Paternos team since '73.

spacer.png

pink was their original primary I believe...that seems like a fitting color for the occasion ushering in a completely new era

I was totally expecting a funny prototype helmet to appear this thread.

/disappointed

I'd say this is one of those rare topics that should never be made fun of.

Nothing wrong with smearing that disgrace of a human being, JoePa, and his joke of a program. That guy is a piece of sh1t.

Aw man...and I wasted valuable (ha) work minutes cooking up a good joke helmet!...Oh well, I can laugh at it all by myself. :P

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

MOD NOTE: Okay, folks... let's limit discussion in this thread to serious suggestions for proposed updates to Penn State's football helmets. Debate revolving around the sexual abuse scandal involving Jerry Sandusky and the Penn State football program should be taken to the following thread in the "Sports In General" forum:

Say it ain't so, Joe

Such content already posted in this thread has been moved there.

Once there, please remember to engage in discussion of said topic in a respectful manner.

Thanks in advance.

As far as the uniforms go, someone posted a navy blue helmet up there a little while ago. Why not stay traditional but change a few things around? Navy helmet with a white stripe (and grey facemask of course) and numbers toward the back of the sides of the helmet, a la their 1959 look? Put a single stripe of the same relative weight as on the helmet on the sleeves and pants and stick with the current navy over white at home and then go white over navy on the road.

psu.png

EDIT: Now that I actually did a mock-up of that, it looks a little weird with just the one stripe. Haha. ^_^

Archived