Get a Share of the Pack

Mac the Knife

In 1997 I had the privilege of becoming a shareholder of Green Bay Packers, Inc., the storied, community-owned team of the National Football League. And by all reports, within the next week or two, you'll be able to join me.

Reported last month, Green Bay Packers, Inc. is apparently putting the final touches on a new stock offering and will get it underway within the next week or two, in hopes of allowing would-be buyers the chance to acquire them for Christmas. What I'm reading is that shares will be $250 each (as opposed to $200 in 1997), and that the offering will be for the remainder of those shares they didn't sell last time around (not sure of the exact number). Proceeds will be used to partially refinance upgrades/modifications of Lambeau Field, also same as fifteen years ago.

Whether or not you're a Packers fan (I've become one of sorts after becoming a shareholder, considering them my "third" NFL team if you will, behind the Browns and Steelers), becoming a shareholder has some neat perks attached to it - both well known and not so well known.

I plan to pick up a few more shares for my kids (so they don't fight over my shares when I die). If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up. It is so choice.

nav-logo.png

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can you become a shareholder if you live outside of the US?

Sure.

Awesome! now I know what to ask for christmas!

8026825156_0d03b8c868.jpg6864286734_be379a26d2_n.jpg

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

I'm a bears fan but my brother and his wife are big Packers fans. I may buy them one of these for Christmas cause they would never buy it on their own. $250 is a lot for a piece of paper, I know there are some perks but its still more a piece of memorabilia.

If the Bears were like the Packers I already would have a share I'm sure!

That's what they had left after the last stock sale. If they want to raise the entire $143 million, at the rumored $250 a pop, they would need to sell 572,000, but that would involve a stock split, which they don't want to do.

I suspect that they may make something like 100,000 or 150,000 available for sale, so they have something left for the future. That would still raise up to $37,500,000.

Actually, I think what you describe is proof that it has high value "as something to frame on the wall", since that's all they would get for the $1,000.

Real shareholders get additional value, from the right to attend and vote at meetings to the ability to buy special Super Bowl rings. Your purchasers would acquire none of that. All they were asking for was a piece of paper, to frame on the wall.

Mac, you seem to be advocating that we consider picking up a share. I have, but it doesn't seem to have the actual value of even a share of a minor league baseball team I know that does a similar thing (and also most recently in 1997). My understanding is that you are paying for a piece of paper and voting rights. And the renovations. Sounds cool, though.

Care to share what some of the "not so well known" perks are with someone on the fence?

EDIT: Looks like Gothamite posted some while I was typing. Thanks. Any others?

I've been waiting for this opportunity to come along for some time. My dad is a huge Packers fan and I can't think of a better gift to get him.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Will they be selling it from their website or another source?

They will need a full offering circular approved by the Securities and Exchange Commission. I presume that the sale itself will be conducted by a securities broker, as was the prior stock sale.

That having been said, I also presume that there will at least be a link from the Packers' main site and/or the Packers Pro Shop. Same as they do with the Super Bowl XLV rings, which are actually sold by Jostens via a portal on the PPS.

Archived