Template Update

andrewharrington

I've updated this template. It has been streamlined and made symmetrical since some of you asked for that on the previous one. It also features a new, sharper view of the shoes, which feature the fade pattern Nike's been using on their footwear. Made the Speed Machine alterations to the jersey and pants, using the pro-style pants that Florida wore in the Outback bowl, since that's what we'll probably be seeing for NFL teams. Updated the helmet to the Revo Speed as requested, and provided a few different sock styles. Again, I have no idea how well the .svg converts (I can't download Inkscape to check), but it's there, so do with it what you will.

Please consider that the template was designed for use at this size. I strongly encourage you not to re-size the elements when saving your images for the web.

.ai download

.svg download

nike_speed_machine.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great template. Ever since the original release of this template, ones like this and the adidas just completely freeze up my Inkscape and I can barely work with it, not sure why. I might have to deal with it for this template.

2ry0jsl.jpg

Fast. Hard. Finish.

From what of this I can see on my Blackberry...good looking stuff, 'Drew. I like that you went with the bevel block as placeholder numbers. Stuff just keeps getting better and better.

If I ever manage to park this Peterbilt for good (unlikely to happen anytime soon, but one can hope, right?), I just might look at jumping back into this game and tinkering around with this a good bit.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

What exactly do you do with the flywire on the collar?

Nothing. It's a translucent material.

It looks kind of weird when you color the jersey.

On a template like this, I think it's tough to replicate the reflectiveness of it. From what I can tell, it just makes the area under the translucent "tape" darker, as you can see here.

On a template like this, I think it's tough to replicate the reflectiveness of it. From what I can tell, it just makes the area under the translucent "tape" darker, as you can see here.

If you're using the .svg version, the transparencies and blending modes may not have translated as intended. The taping that covers the Flywire was colored with a light grey and white gradient, then set to multiply, so that the grey parts darkened the jersey color, while the white parts allow it to show trough.

Feel free to experiment with different ways to make it look more realistic.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

If you're using the .svg version, the transparencies and blending modes may not have translated as intended. The taping that covers the Flywire was colored with a light grey and white gradient, then set to multiply, so that the grey parts darkened the jersey color, while the white parts allow it to show trough.

Feel free to experiment with different ways to make it look more realistic.

I've found making it black then lowering the opacity works best.

2ry0jsl.jpg

Fast. Hard. Finish.

I've created a brush that I'm trying to apply to the striping on the pants but I'm having some trouble. Every time I apply the brush, it puts a stroke around the panel instead of applying the art vrush.

Tips/help?

the stripe is underneath a texture on the panel i believe. you'll have to lock that texture to select the stripe underneath

this looks great AH, i cant wait to dig into this later.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I've created a brush that I'm trying to apply to the striping on the pants but I'm having some trouble. Every time I apply the brush, it puts a stroke around the panel instead of applying the art vrush.

Tips/help?

the stripe is underneath a texture on the panel i believe. you'll have to lock that texture to select the stripe underneath

this looks great AH, i cant wait to dig into this later.

Yes. Go into outline mode (Command-Y) and you can see the strokes to which the stripe brushes are applied. They extend outside the panels so you can edit them without locking the mesh or the shadows (you can also lock the mesh and shadows, that's no big deal, but you don't have to), but they are clipped so that the outside portions are not visible.

Hey Andy, someone over on the Michigan blog, MGoBlog, created a wallpaper and used your template.

http://mgoblog.com/diaries/2011-wallpaper-inked-ohio-state

michigan-football-wallpaper-2011-ohio-state-thumb.jpg

michigan-football-wallpaper-2011-ohio-state-thumb2.jpg

How it was made

The Riddell Revo Speed helmets were illustrated in Illustrator (they really nailed the naming of that product) and then superimposed on the forearm photograph in Photoshop. I used a dash of Gaussian blur, a mix of blending modes and a smidge of smudge tool action to make the color boundaries look more tattoo-ish. If you look closely you can see a little red around the edges of the tattoo that gives the skin the "I was at one time in the past punctured over and over by needles" look. I toyed with a much more elaborate tattoo that used a blackletter font (and went so far as to design an ambigram for the word "game") but in the end I decided on simplicity; I used a type treatment consistent with this season's Notre Dame and Michigan State wallpapers.

Honestly, it's very close, but it's not my helmet template, based on the positioning of the facemask and the way it was drawn.

Side note, something happened on the socks. The color was applied to the clipping path that's masking the stripes instead of its own shape. All you need to do to fix it and make the sock color editable is this: Enter the group by double clicking the sock, select the stripes and clipping path and move to the front ( Command-] ). Take the fill color away from the clipping path and copy the clipping path. Move the stripes to the back ( Command-[ ). Paste the copy of the clipping path behind the stripes ( Command-B ) and color it. Now you'll be able to click the sock color to change it.

I've updated the download links with a fixed version for those who do not want to troubleshoot using the steps outlined above.

Archived