Schools using academic wordmark for athletics

Anubis2051

So I was able to find a picture of this finally. When I was at the Army-Rutgers game at Yankee Stadium, I noticed that they were using the Academic Rutgers Wordmark, as opposed to the Athletic wordmark for Rutgers (the Army logo appeared correct, however)

6339521517_01e390f8d2_z.jpg

academic logo:

rutgers_logo.gif

athletic logo:

4952872551_2b53d1871e.jpg

Has anyone else noticed an instance where schools appear to confuse their logos and use one where the other should be used? It should be interesting to see how common this is.

Anubis.png

You guys have all seen a logo guide from MLB, NFL, or another professional sport right?

Well the college ones are the exact same. All logos are shown for each school including in most cases the academic marks because many of the people using those also need access to both athletic and academic logos for making t-shirts, notebooks, shot glasses, whatever.

Something like this was most likely not run by Rutgers and even if it was, its not "wrong" necessarily. Maybe not preferred but certainly not wrong.

You guys have all seen a logo guide from MLB, NFL, or another professional sport right?

Well the college ones are the exact same. All logos are shown for each school including in most cases the academic marks because many of the people using those also need access to both athletic and academic logos for making t-shirts, notebooks, shot glasses, whatever.

Something like this was most likely not run by Rutgers and even if it was, its not "wrong" necessarily. Maybe not preferred but certainly not wrong.

Example of a University style guide.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

USU has used their academic wordmark on the football uniforms for a few years now:

robert-turbin.jpg

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

USU has used their academic wordmark on the football uniforms for a few years now:

robert-turbin.jpg

Is there a separate wordmark for athletics that they don't use?

I can't find a decent picture of the standalone, but this wordmark (sans bull, of course) is usually associated with the athletics:

logo.gif

There is a simplified version that has been used by the football team and basketball team before, and is still an official wordmark (also appears in the football endzones and I believe on the basketball court):

athletics_football_leon_jackson.jpg

student_athlete_carroll.JPG

And just to demonstrate the differences between the wordmarks, this is what the academic wordmark looks like up close, and is what USU wears on their football uniforms now (sans "University"):

Wordmark.png

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Where could you find something like that for a school?

I usually search Google.

Search "logo sheet", "style guide", "brand guidelines", etc. (with the university name)

Often times they aren't easy to find, or aren't posted online.

Try typing "[PDF]" next to the search phrase, often times they're .PDFs.

Example:

Search "Penn State Logo Sheet [PDF]" and it should be the first result.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I usually search Google.

Search "logo sheet", "style guide", "brand guidelines", etc. (with the university name)

Often times they aren't easy to find, or aren't posted online.

Try typing "[PDF]" next to the search phrase, often times they're .PDFs.

Example:

Search "Penn State Logo Sheet [PDF]" and it should be the first result.

It's usually pretty easy. Rutgers calls it their visual identity system, found it just by Googling Rutgers logo usage:

http://identity.rutgers.edu/identity_manual.pdf

Anubis.png

This is an NFL example, but how about a team using a wordmark in one place that doesn't appear anywhere else? As far as I know, at least. I'm talking about the wordmark the Saints use on their helmet bumpers:

5616888.jpg

Always wished they'd use their actual wordmark, maybe with a black outline for contrast:

SAINTS-20wordmark-w20R20symbol20(GOLD).jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

My school is notorious for this crap:

Milwaukee.jpg

It's one thing for a school like Rutgers, whose athletic brand isn't all that different from its athletic brand, to do this. But for an athletic department that supposedly wants to be known simply as "Milwaukee," they seem utterly unwilling to stop the academic marks from creeping on to their facilities and fan apparel.

Archived