Hypotheticals

DaytonBlue

I bet this has been done before, but seems relevant with the Jags to STL/Rams to LA swap talk going on lately...what almost franchise relocations/expansions would you have liked to see as a fan and sports logo connoisseur?

Mine are:

-Tennessee Copperheads (Oilers logo with dark orange colors)

Copperheads.gif

-St. Louis Stallions

NFL_Stallions.gif

-Memphis Hound Dogs

Hounddogs_1.gif

Minnesota Northern Lights

0216-min-northernlights.jpg

-Akron Rubber Ducks (team stayed with Aeros)

And I do NOT want the Hornets leaving NOLA, but if they had to, this logo would be sweet.

seattle%20hornets01.jpg

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

That posted jersey would need some work, but I'd have loved to see the Minnesota Northern Lights. Not that "Wild" is bad at all, but "Northern Lights" is an interesting homage to the old North Stars (as well as the logo), and I think would've made for a cool identity.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

That posted jersey would need some work, but I'd have loved to see the Minnesota Northern Lights. Not that "Wild" is bad at all, but "Northern Lights" is an interesting homage to the old North Stars (as well as the logo), and I think would've made for a cool identity.

My thoughts exactly. Really wish that the Minnesota expansion team went with that rather than "Wild".

spacer.png

My thoughts exactly. Really wish that the Minnesota expansion team went with that rather than "Wild".

In retrospect, I prefer something like "Northern Lights" to "Wild." It's a very unique name, and is true (at least moreso than most other US NHL cities) to its locale. With the Kings practically dropping all traces of purple in their identity (though their alts. with purple remain), the purple color would be unique to the NHL and has a similar color scheme to another Minnesota team--the Vikings.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I bet Northern Lights the name could have been used with the Wild logo if they wanted. When I first heard of the Wild I thought of this old awesome Nickelodeon TV show:

600full-wild-%26-crazy-kids-photo.jpg

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

In retrospect, I prefer something like "Northern Lights" to "Wild." It's a very unique name, and is true (at least moreso than most other US NHL cities) to its locale. With the Kings practically dropping all traces of purple in their identity (though their alts. with purple remain), the purple color would be unique to the NHL and has a similar color scheme to another Minnesota team--the Vikings.

The biggest missed opportunity I see in this was the opportunity to brand regionally rather than just a Minnesota team. It wouldn't be too hard to emphasize "Northern" over "Minnesota" and market as a team that also represents Wisconsin and the Dakotas and even play annual exhibitions in Milwaukee, Fargo and Madison and/or Green Bay.

The biggest missed opportunity I see in this was the opportunity to brand regionally rather than just a Minnesota team. It wouldn't be too hard to emphasize "Northern" over "Minnesota" and market as a team that also represents Wisconsin and the Dakotas and even play annual exhibitions in Milwaukee, Fargo and Madison and/or Green Bay.

"Northern Lights" in and of itself is a great name. Big missed opportunity.

spacer.png

Don't love the Wild name, but love their look.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

I bet Northern Lights the name could have been used with the Wild logo if they wanted. When I first heard of the Wild I thought of this old awesome Nickelodeon TV show:

600full-wild-%26-crazy-kids-photo.jpg

I'll use this as an excuse to post my fantasy hockey team's logo I made.

WildKrejciKids.jpg

Back to the topic...

I don't like the name 'Minnesota Northern Lights'... it's a mouthful... but the Wild did market a bit in Wisconsin when they first expanded. I remember getting mail (in Milwaukee) about ticket packages for the Wild, as well as a memorabilia magazine before they even played a game. Obviously didn't work out too well. I was in hockey until age 18, but everyone was pretty much a Red Wings fan (at least in youth hockey) anyways. Either that or Stars/Avalanche fans. I'm sure a fair amount of people in the area are now Blackhawks fans due to recent success, but growing up, they were always irrelevant to pretty much everyone.

But really, how can you market a team that nobody can watch? The Red Wings have always had good success in the area because they are on TV more than any other team and have been very successful. Aside from that, they're rivals with a Chicago team, which I think a lot of people from Wisconsin like the shared rivalry with Chicago sports. Minnesota teams are natural rivals with Wisconsin teams (University of Wisconsin/Minnesota, Vikings/Packers, Twins/Brewers) and I think potential fans can be reluctant to jump on a Minnesota sports team bandwagon. Still, the Wild are rarely on TV here and a TV deal all the way down in Milwaukee/Madison would be silly. The commute for a game would be a little much. Fargo to Minneapolis is a bit of a stroll as well. Still, Minnesota teams already market out to North/South Dakota, but I don't see any marketing picking up in Wisconsin any time soon.

I don't think you can simply say that marketing down into Wisconsin didn't work simply because they got the name wrong.

If we're doing hypos, could someone mock up what the now Oakland A's uniforms would look like after a move to San Jose in 2015 (mainly the away uni since that's the only one that would really need changing)? I imagine it would either have "Athletics" on the away grey, or more than likely "San Jose".

Archived