Astros' and Padres' Unis

rebelx

Just wondering what people's opinions are on the state of the Astros' and Padres' uniforms and logos.

Personally, I think there's a good chance that the Astros will change their unis in the near future, given that they have a new owner and are soon moving to the AL (the change, as somebody in another thread suggested, may even coincide with their switching leagues). Any opinions on what color scheme they should use in the future? Personally, I think it would be cool to see them go back to the combo of navy, orange, and yellow they once used, albeit with modernized uniforms, preferably incorporating the shooting star from their 1994-1999 identity. I'm not the biggest fan in the world of their current colors; I see them as resembling too closely the D-Backs' newer unis (which almost certainly won't be changed any time soon), and they've never really been suited to the team name (seems they were only adopted as part of that whole train station "sub-identity" that the team began using when it moved to MMP).

For the Padres, yeah, they've made their uni set better looking this year, but it's still not good enough, and never will be until they bring back brown. Isn't there a big push for that among their fans? If so, why doesn't the management listen? If they do ever re-adopt the color, I would prefer it to be paired with orange rather than the gold from their early years. Those unis they used from 1985-1990 were things of beauty.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd prefer the old color schemes for both. Not bringing back the old uniforms as is, but something modren with a nod to the past, like Toronto just did. For the Padres, brown and gold, with either no orange or just a hint (I saw a concepts for an update of the 60's brown and gold, but with a small front number that was the only thing orange... like the Dodgers' red number... looked nice).

As for the Astros, I love the rainbow guts uniform as an awesome relic of its time, but I wouldn't expect it but be feasable in a modern uniform. The best Astro uniform waiting for an update is the 60's shooting star uni. Though for personal reasons. I'd love to see a bit of the rainbow thrown in in a small way. OK, very small.

Just wondering what people's opinions are on the state of the Astros' and Padres' uniforms and logos.

Personally, I think there's a good chance that the Astros will change their unis in the near future, given that they have a new owner and are soon moving to the AL (the change, as somebody in another thread suggested, may even coincide with their switching leagues). Any opinions on what color scheme they should use in the future? Personally, I think it would be cool to see them go back to the combo of navy, orange, and yellow they once used, albeit with modernized uniforms, preferably incorporating the shooting star from their 1994-1999 identity. I'm not the biggest fan in the world of their current colors; I see them as resembling too closely the D-Backs' newer unis (which almost certainly won't be changed any time soon), and they've never really been suited to the team name (seems they were only adopted as part of that whole train station "sub-identity" that the team began using when it moved to MMP).

For the Padres, yeah, they've made their uni set better looking this year, but it's still not good enough, and never will be until they bring back brown. Isn't there a big push for that among their fans? If so, why doesn't the management listen? If they do ever re-adopt the color, I would prefer it to be paired with orange rather than the gold from their early years. Those unis they used from 1985-1990 were things of beauty.

Nope. Not according to the team. The majority are happy with what we have.

No and no. Everything but the colors suck for the Padres. That design sucks in general, but you can't do just any design with those color. If you are wearing brown and yellow in particular, there is a fine line you walk between classy and fast food uniform. That is the latter. As for the Astros, their colors should have always been orange and blue.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

What people are quick to forget about those Astros uniforms is how ugly the backs were.

13655_01_lg.jpg

That's one wonky-lookin' 1.

Astros should definitely be orange and blue. I got a rough ride for my Astros concept being garishly orange. I like garish orange! Just as staring into the sun will blind you, so too should the Houston Astros, if you ask me.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I would prefer it to be paired with orange rather than the gold from their early years. Those unis they used from 1985-1990 were things of beauty.

Hell yes...

For both teams I want them to pick something and stick with it...particularly color scheme. So if the Padres have done that, so be it (though I'd call it a missed opportunity).

Maybe this is for the "unpopular opinions" thread, but I am content with the Astros staying with what they have. I like the scheme and it matches their ballpark well...I also like them to stick with it because I don't think they have a ton to work with from the past. Of course this color scheme does not match "Astros" very well. I just always hated the blue/gold uniform of the 1990s. The word "uninspired" pops into my head every time I see it. Their blue/orange look could be OK, though modernization would be needed.

For the Padres, brown is a must. Brown's a great color, not used very often in sports, and a great opportunity for them to have a unique identity in MLB. I definately prefer the brown and orange...I thought it was a great look, particularly against the gray of the roadies. That's what I want, though I know the yellow is more well-liked. Part of me thinks that the brown/yellow will grow tiresome and that it is currently loved as a novelty, the way some people may like the rainbow guts...whereas the brown/orange has more "staying power", but that's probably just my bias. Either way, the Padres could be "the team that wears brown" instead of "the barley-noticeable team with the barely-noticeable identity", but nooooooo.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'd like to see the Astros going with the Navy/brick red/ and metallic gold color scheme with a wordmark similar to the one they had from 1994-1999 with an H inscribed in a half shooting star for a cap logo. Taking bits and pieces from their past uniform sets. Someone had an Astros uniform concept a while back that looks like my description.I'm sure the Astros will get new unis in 2013 or 2014. As for the Padres, they blew their chance at having a decent makeover for 2012. Maybe in 3 years they will upgrade their logos and uniforms to something better. I doubt they would go with brown, but I see brown as a possibility as an alternate jersey or secondary logo. Navy/burgandy/ and olive green would be a great color scheme for the Padres with a wordmark similar to their 1985-1990's set.

Which begs the question: why?

SD fans really are okay with having a color scheme that looks somewhat like the Brewers' and is just generally kind of dull? This is in comparison to schemes that were truly unique, with a seldom-used color in brown that was around for the first 22 seasons of their existence and was worn by many players of note in their history, including Gwynn. I just don't get it.

Which begs the question: why?

SD fans really are okay with having a color scheme that looks somewhat like the Brewers' and is just generally kind of dull? This is in comparison to schemes that were truly unique, with a seldom-used color in brown that was around for the first 22 seasons of their existence and was worn by many players of note in their history, including Gwynn. I just don't get it.

According to ownership, they are. Key phrase, "according to ownership".

What people are quick to forget about those Astros uniforms is how ugly the backs were.

13655_01_lg.jpg

That's one wonky-lookin' 1.

Astros should definitely be orange and blue. I got a rough ride for my Astros concept being garishly orange. I like garish orange! Just as staring into the sun will blind you, so too should the Houston Astros, if you ask me.

Wow, I don't remember that number font. I guess I was too young to notice that detail.

I didn't remember it either (in my defense, I didn't watch any baseball between 1994 and 2002) until I watched the Kerry Wood Strikes Out 20 game a winter or two ago and couldn't get past how ugly the number font was.

Also, they had a different road script than the one on the mothership. The shooting star was to the right of "Houston" rather than within the letters. I don't like it as much. Doesn't match.

moisesalou_display_image_display_image.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's just a vocal minority that want the brown back. Kind of like how in the late '60s (coincidentally when the Padres started), the hippies got all the media attention, so it seemed like they made up the majority of the population, but in reality the vast majority of people were fairly conservative, well-dressed and well mannered. The Padres fans that want the brown back are like the hippies and the rest of us are the silent, conservative majority.

I didn't remember it either (in my defense, I didn't watch any baseball between 1994 and 2002) until I watched the Kerry Wood Strikes Out 20 game a winter or two ago and couldn't get past how ugly the number font was.

Also, they had a different road script than the one on the mothership. The shooting star was to the right of "Houston" rather than within the letters. I don't like it as much. Doesn't match.

They used both versions of road wordmark. I believe they switched to the above in 98.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

They used both versions of road wordmark. I believe they switched to the above in 98.

That one simply isn't as good as the 1994-97 version, partly because the wordmarks got out of whack between home and road.

Yup

96271423_display_image.jpg?1290406141

Never understood why they didn't use semi-futuristic italic numbers to go with the script

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Those Astros uniforms are awful IMO. Not that the current ones are any better. If they want to stick with the current set I wish they would at least make this their primary.

ap-roy-oswalt-trade-rumorjpg-91412fe069bff865_large.jpg

This is so much better than their pinstriped set. IMO the Astros have really never had a nice uniform set in their history, just not my style I guess. Same with the Padres, I've never been a fan of their sets. Their current set even though it's boring I think is pretty solid. Probably my favorite in their history but still ranks towards the bottom of modern MLB uniforms.

21dh5qp.png

The road uniform scripts in question:

1994-1997:

HoustonAstros_UNS2a_1994-1997_SCC_SRGB.png

1998-1999:

HoustonAstros_UNS2a_1998-1999_SCC_SRGB.png

Archived