Sign in to follow this  
the admiral

megacycles.tumblr.com

It's been 2 weeks, and still don't get ANY of this. :therock:

You're not alone, I just saw this thread for the first time and don't think any of it is funny, either. Frankly I feel kind of stalkerish just looking at these.

Do you guys actually know these people, or are you just posting pictures and irrelevant Facebook posts from random people that you think are funny? The only way I would find something like this funny is if I knew the person and there was some inside joke I knew about the people involved that made it hilarious. Otherwise, this whole thing feels kind of creepy.

You're not alone, I just saw this thread for the first time and don't think any of it is funny, either. Frankly I feel kind of stalkerish just looking at these.

Do you guys actually know these people, or are you just posting pictures and irrelevant Facebook posts from random people that you think are funny? The only way I would find something like this funny is if I knew the person and there was some inside joke I knew about the people involved that made it hilarious. Otherwise, this whole thing feels kind of creepy.

I'm pretty sure this Bill Hitchert dude is befriending morons and posting it on a blog. Therefore, not creepy.

I honestly don't see ANY humor in it. Not trying to be dickish, but it just looks like a nonsensical conversation on Facebook

I honestly don't see ANY humor in it. Not trying to be dickish, but it just looks like a nonsensical conversation on Facebook

You'd think it would be funny then. :therock:

I'll stop now. Don't want to derail anything. :)

sigh

I didn't think this was something that had to be explained, but let's just go ahead and dissect the frog, learning how the organs work while killing the frog.

Pretty sure the blog is intended to be an oblique commentary on the ever-increasing absurdity of Facebook, as propelled by its opening the floodgates to non-tech-generation adults and companies looking to co-opt the network for internet marketing. That last part is where all the stuff about "personal brands" and such is rooted (and if you've read any of Hipster Runoff, the lampooning of the "Personal Brand" on the internet is well-worn ground), and the stuff about old people making asses of themselves on the internet is self-evident. That you can see how some 55-year-old woman has been trying to subtly adjust her profile picture by changing where it's cropped or how it's angled, only to have all 16 stages of editing appear in a chronologically ordered matrix is funny because it undercuts all the "backstage" nudging and jostling to best present oneself on the internet while not being all that presentable in the first place, and because that grid of 16 pictures of an ugly face is just funny in and of itself. It is also funny to see Amway salesmen and half-baked motivational speakers having their appropriation of Facebook satirically deflated, because those people are annoying.

That's pretty much the gist of it, but there's also just generally making fun of dumb people on facebook without any greater thesis behind it.

There. That felt icky. Twas fun while it lasted, I suppose.

Also, I'm pretty sure the guy behind Bill Hitchert is also the guy behind http://badpaintingsofbarackobama.com/

That's great, because you've ruined it for everyone else.

2.jpg

4.jpg

This website delivers.

Damn, and I thought the one where he looked like Bubba from Forrest Gump was a classic.

4.jpg

I don't know what the hell that's supposed to be...but that's some ballin' ass $h!t right there. :P

Hah! I saw that one today on my tumblr dash. Oh, and on the Obama picture Jigga quoted, I just noticed the gleaming white stallion on the left side, ahahah.

Looking back on this one, I thought it was a pretty good thread concept on its own merits, but it was completely overshadowed by what is arguably the koan of our time, "what is this im in phone."