Halifax Highlanders

sparkychewbarky

(The initial thread on this concept had become a meandering mess, so let's try it again with new graphics, logos and unis.)

Actually, the concept is the same...2 ideas kind of rolled into one.

First of all, I would like to bring the Scottish-Canadian community together, ("gather the Clans", so to speak), in a Legacy Project that would be;

- an acknowledgement of, and tribute to, a fascinating history

- a venture that would unite "Scotnadians" in a common goal

- a gift to future generations...a "Long Live the Highlanders Spirit" kind of thing.

legacy.jpg

Secondly, Halifax, Nova Scotia, would be a fantastic home to an NHL franchise, with it's lively and welcoming atmosphere.

A team in Halifax would give the Atlantic region of Canada representation on hockey's biggest stage, and would make our national game in the National Hockey League, truly national. (did I mention "national"?)

However, with a metropolitan population of just over 420,000 hardy souls, Halifax would be the NHL's smallest market.

Here's where the above 2 concepts come together, in a scheme that combines the largesse of the 5 million+ "S-C" community, with the hometown benefits of Halifax, Nova Scotia.

The Halifax Highlander Project (HHP), would have 3 "founding groups": the Province of Nova Scotia, the City of Halifax, and the Scottish-Canadian Community.

founders.jpg

Are ya sensing a theme here?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Highlanders' identity is forged from the strong Celtic influence of Halifax and Nova Scotia, and of course, the Scottish traditions of the S-C community.

From the flags of the 3 founding groups we acquire the team colours of navy, gold, red and white. We use, from the Nova Scotia flag, a rampant red lion

"triumphantly raising a stick" as the primary logo.

hhprimary.jpg

The logo maintains the heraldic style with its exaggerated claws, tail, and tufts of fur. There are 2 versions...

a more detailed design for larger use, and a flat version for 1-colour and smaller applications. It looks pretty good "grunged-up" too.

The sweaters feature the St. Andrew's cross found in all 3 flags. I had resisted putting the cross front and centre on the chest because, as 9ersteve noted..."It's been done before".

However, I caved, and so here's the aways.

hhaway2.jpg

The gold on white gives it a watermark effect that doesn't clash too much with the logo.

These look nice, but are very busy by NHL standards. They could use some simplification.

I'd lose both the shoulder patch and the torso crosses. Instead, make the shoulder yoke blue and put the cross on each side, so that each shoulder resembles a Scotland flag. Also, I'd make the sleeves white and the sleeve stripes blue.

For the color jerseys, I'd make them solid blue (keeping the shoulder crosses I suggested above, and the pale-gold stripes you've got).

Finally, I'd use the red-lion-in-blue-shield logo (a sweet logo, BTW) for the white jerseys, but keep the lion by itself for the blue ones.

CCSLC signature.png

Thanks Viper. I'll give those suggestions a try.

You're right about the busy-ness, although I didn't mind it too much on the aways.

However on the home sweaters, the gold cross popped too much, so I did try a more standard approach on the front while keeping the cross on the lower back.

hhhome2.jpg

The cross on the front still might appeal to some folks (an apples-&-oranges kind of thing) so I kept that version as a home alt.

hhhomealt.jpg

I had previously done a yellow "special occasion" sweater that I liked, paired with a red pant-shell.

hhso2.jpg

Some secondary and associated logos...

hhsecs.jpg

Viper, I tried some arm crosses before and IMO wasn't able to quite pull it off. I'll retry with your suggestions. Thanks.

Not only does the troika of founders make sense for financial, historical, size of market, and aesthetic reasons,

but the "Highlanders" theme offers the franchise's marketing department an incredible wealth of images, music, icons,

characters, etc. to draw from, for promotional purposes.

We'll start with the team tartan: yes, the team has an official tartan. (a great element for merchandising purposes)

Thanks to GhostsofChristmasspast for alerting me to the tartan-making program on scotweb.

hhtartan.jpg

that yellow jersey would sell. make the other two like that and you'll have a good set.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

I'm not a huge fan of the Saltire on the jersey, but other than that this is just stunning.

Cody, nuordr, HB....Thanks for the props....

And yeah, I agree with you Hathaway; the large saltire isn't a fave, but it's such an important and unique element, that I REALLY want to keep it on the sweaters somehow.

Maybe I keep it on the aways, because on the white, it's not as obvious; it's more "water-markish" in appearance.

I'm gonna try Viper's suggestions on the home sweaters when I get a chance.

Thanks for your advice.

I'm not a huge fan of the Saltire on the jersey, but other than that this is just stunning.

And yeah, I agree with you Hathaway; the large saltire isn't a fave, but it's such an important and unique element, that I REALLY want to keep it on the sweaters somehow.

Maybe I keep it on the aways, because on the white, it's not as obvious; it's more "water-markish" in appearance.

Thanks for your advice.

there is one other thing i would change. the gold colour should be yellow and a ppear on a bits of the jerseys. is it okay if i make a set? i'll post the right here, for you to see. then you'll get a good idea!

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Thanks for your advice.

there is one other thing i would change. the gold colour should be yellow and a ppear on a bits of the jerseys. is it okay if i make a set? i'll post the right here, for you to see. then you'll get a good idea!

okay i'll pm you my email so then you can send me a clean versiomn of the logo okay?

Go for it!

The primary logo in all its forms is far and away my favorite part of the concept. It's stunning.

I will say I don't really care for the "Halifax" script on the home jerseys. I don't like city names on hockey jerseys to begin with (looking at you, Vancouver) and it's especially unnecessary on a home jersey since fans tend to know who the home team is when they go to a game.

Small detail, though. Great work on the whole thing!

teamlogossig.png

There comes a point when you don't stand for the constant heartbreak anymore, and walk away.

Thanks to all for your comments.

I'm sensing a "thumbs-up" for the logo, but a "not-so-thumbs-up" for the sweaters. I'll do up a few more sweater versions.

In the meantime, I mentioned previously of the deep well of material that the Highlander theme can draw from.

Here's a couple of ideas for a team mascot for the younger ones.

"Thistlehead" would be an athletic, and very active character ( kinda like the Toronto Raptor), with spiky, green skin and big purple hair.

"Nessie"'s a big lumpy goalie; not too mobile, but great for photo-ops...kinda like Luongo at the start of this year.

OR...maybe we say "to heck with the kids" and go with Heather...

hhmascots.jpg

Just kidding. Here's some more Highlanders kid stuff...

hhkids.jpg

Is the lion on the t-shirt an official mascot for the Highlanders? I think he'd be a good replacement for Thistlehead.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Is the lion on the t-shirt an official mascot for the Highlanders? I think he'd be a good replacement for Thistlehead.

agree there. his name should king highlander!

Archived