Repurposing

Raymie

Recycled logos are a fact of life for high school sports fan. My high school for YEARS used the USC Trojan and SC block logo together. Include the colors and we did really look like them at times. Other schools have gone to pro teams for their inspiration (even their old logos: Buffalo Sabres buffalo head logo, anyone?)

Some of the repurposing done by Arizona high schools nowadays is fun for sports logo buffs because it sometimes involves dead or non-American football teams! There's one that uses Ti-Cats identity pieces in a small town. Another's helmet this year is straight from the dead Austin Wranglers of the AFL. One school uses a non-helmet logo that's from the AFL's Carolina Cobras. There's another one I've seen with a defunct indoor football team but I can't remember which one ? it's another primary logo for another school. Yet another uses a stripped-down version of the wordmark of the XFL's San Francisco Demons. On a New Mexico page once I saw a helmet that called back to the Las Vegas team in the XFL (just with an extra "W" tacked on the front").

What's the best repurposed logo example you can find?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recycled logos are a fact of life for high school sports fan. My high school for YEARS used the USC Trojan and SC block logo together. Include the colors and we did really look like them at times. Other schools have gone to pro teams for their inspiration (even their old logos: Buffalo Sabres buffalo head logo, anyone?)

Some of the repurposing done by Arizona high schools nowadays is fun for sports logo buffs because it sometimes involves dead or non-American football teams! There's one that uses Ti-Cats identity pieces in a small town. Another's helmet this year is straight from the dead Austin Wranglers of the AFL. One school uses a non-helmet logo that's from the AFL's Carolina Cobras. There's another one I've seen with a defunct indoor football team but I can't remember which one it's another primary logo for another school. Yet another uses a stripped-down version of the wordmark of the XFL's San Francisco Demons. On a New Mexico page once I saw a helmet that called back to the Las Vegas team in the XFL (just with an extra "W" tacked on the front").

What's the best repurposed logo example you can find?

I think most people on this site would use a different term than "repurposed".

Actually, here's a good article on this issue from my area from last year.*

Nope. And schools that have done it in the past have gotten the legal runaround. Sunnyside in AZ is a good example. "Blue Devils" with ASU Sparky at one point, but they actually got sued by ASU after they played a championship game in ASU's Sun Devil Stadium. The university ended up paying for a new logo for Sunnyside. There are others that have legal rights: Mesquite pays Kansas State for the Powercat.

Some of it I suppose is OK, especially the dead AFL and XFL teams. And I just can't see the Ti-Cats suing a small (1A/Div. VI) Arizona school for logo use (though they've used TWO of their logos).

*There is a mistake in this article, and it has to do with my high school. The AZ Helmet Project (to which I am a major contributor) has an incorrectly rendered Sentinel for the newer Seton helmets. Here's a look at the redone ancient Greek. (Sadly, it suffers from a condition that USC calls X-ray Tommy.) This SHOULD be on the 2005-2010 black and red helmets. The face appears to be based on USC's "institutional"/1992 Tommy.

What happens if a college takes a high school logo?

I know for a fact that my high school was using Georgia Tech's Yellow Jacket Logo back in the early 80's and probably longer, and here at CCSLC it says Georgia Tech did not start using it until 1991.

A guy named Mike Lester, former editorial cartoonist at the AJC, designed that logo in 1983.

Let's see some photos of your high school using it then and before.

I know for a fact that my high school was using Georgia Tech's Yellow Jacket Logo back in the early 80's and probably longer, and here at CCSLC it says Georgia Tech did not start using it until 1991.

A guy named Mike Lester, former editorial cartoonist at the AJC, designed that logo in 1983.

Correct. The "Buzz" cartoon-y Yellow Jacket was in use when I began grad school there in 1987.

It is what it is.

My high school alma mater also uses the Grizzlies logo. For the record, I love our color scheme (always have, even as a kid) and uniform template, but I hate the use of the logo its just so generic, cheap, and weakens the brand. My favorite helmet logo was this bear paw coming in over a B:

secondary%20logo.JPG

Here's the current look:

boyertown.png

btpasik.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

I was in Junior High School in 1983, my sister went to the same High School in 1984 and they were using the logo then, I would have to research when they actually started using it.

t8ojkk.jpg24fhb3a.pngopr7er.png23tfsx.png

Unless you have a lisence to use it, yes. It's stealing.

so let's say a high school steals a trademarked logo but uses it only on its football helmets...like the memphis grizzlies example...the nba club sends a cease and desist yet the school doesn't comply so the nba club sues the high school for damages.

how does the nba club determine any sort of financial loss to this logo theft?..are the damages purely punitive?

• 2 weeks later...

There's a rather high-profile, new school here that uses the Grizzlies logo with a USF-esque color scheme.

That'd be my alma mater, Basha High School. When I graduated in 07, though, they started moving more towards the B paw logo. Much better, IMO.

Archived