Under Armour adding a B1G school

Ry

Then that's not much of an identity. I think a good uniform is where you can remove all of the colors, and still be able to tell who's it is. And before you say "But what about Alabama, and Penn State?" I don't like Alabama's uniforms, but Penn State's is so generic, that you could remove the all of the colors, and you would be able to tell that it's Penn State.

In a vacuum, no, that's not a very good identity, but we're not in a vacuum. Wisconsin has built a lot of equity in the generic look of their uniform, much like Nebraska or Penn State have. What Wisconsin should do is go back to the W on the front of the helmet, to add that unique dash of character back into their identity.

(**) (**) (**) (**) (**) (**) (**)

Absolutely! That would be so much better than what they have now, even thought I like the motion W!

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some schools take more money but give up some of the design process. That's not just UA, that's all brands. Auburn was very concerned about keeping their football look and wrote into their deal that the school had final approval on all designs.

That is just mind-boggling to me. Why on Earth would anyone let someone dictate something as important as their sports branding? I know virtually nothing about how this stuff works, but it seems to me that the school is the customer and the company is the supplier. Is it just me, or is there something totally ass-backwards about letting Nike, Adidas, UA, etc., the supplier, tell the customer, what their team is going to wear? I just don't get it but as I said, I know very little about how it works. It just seems...I don't know...illogical or something.

I get that it's an endorsement deal etc. But still, if Nike wants to pay Ohio State to say "hey, the Buckeyes wear Nike" then shouldn't Ohio State get to call the shots on what they look like when wearing Nike products? It doesn't do Nike a bit of good to dress one of their schools in clown suits. It seems to me that all it does is hurt both brands.

Well, the school is the customer in that the sportswear companies are supplying goods to them, but normally the customer would be paying the supplier for those goods. These licensing/outfitting deals actually do work backwards because the supplier is paying the customer, not only with free gear, but monetarily as well, due to the increased sales and exposure that come from being the official licensee/outfitter of whichever team or school. The idea is that because of the deal, the supplier has the opportunity to turn a profit by using the team's or school's equity to help sell their products, which is why the customers get the money, and as a result, the suppliers feel like they should have a little bit of say given how much money they're shelling out to the team or school.

Not all schools are created equal in terms of branding. There are only a handful of tosu's, michigans, usc's, bama's etc...that really have a time tested brand and a built in consumer base that can generate tens of millions $ annually without the help of a designer...in many recent cases the uniforming manufacturers have also lent their hands as brand consultants and designers in hopes that it will actually generate more topline revenue for both the school and the supplier.

Thanks guys. Good info. That gives me a better understanding of how it works.

BB52Big.jpg

Nope. The Nike logo is even used on the banner.

lmao FAIL

471788221.jpg?Expires=1323923323&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=WG0ILK18KF~EA8rVmQvdDObcqtmOOSDIg6eg6l~RHR-AEAw06TQQOOuBER8TUZpK3rbO0rkPcnM-T2CM6bL8MhvErBcK8TfAkPFaXEohGNBwtgzWZ64ZMbrD3hIIsHrA-mtwIQVexV~22wsLmaDa-z7Jp4tT7QrEvIK9x6A66aI_

472456446.jpg?Expires=1323923405&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=I93RZWtZijCwn5ApWvXUprDzNg2uU7IV~sqR0a17ViVaP5259O~M9Jzls5AoMS5wlCTW6wLGez8jkOgGL6uBeqjgdI3qO6g2q6HNp5VxS8kM9Kjnb64fpbeICSkSklADTyLwtVuAdiqX00H8wHYyRjc3Vigj~pkHZ22Ke0mNf~M_

You know, it would be better if we could see the pictures.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

http://twitpic.com/7tadq6

Try this link, the Twitter account will show bits and pieces once a day.

This pic looks like a matte maroon helmet.

Yeah, I've seen that, but I'm wondering what why Crazyanna posted FAIL and two images we can't see. If he's trying to tell us it's UA, then that image you showed us proves him wrong.

http://twitpic.com/7tadq6

Try this link, the Twitter account will show bits and pieces once a day.

This pic looks like a matte maroon helmet.

Yeah, I've seen that, but I'm wondering what why Crazyanna posted FAIL and two images we can't see. If he's trying to tell us it's UA, then that image you showed us proves him wrong.

No, it was a double fail. I thought the pictures would post, but obviously not everyone can see them. The first fail was the idea that they were signing with UA when the pics clearly show the Nike swoosh. It's "she" not "he", btw. :-D

I'm guessing it's going to be one of the Adidas schools. I can't see Nike letting UA take one of their schools.

UA has already stolen Texas Tech, Maryland, Hawaii, and South Florida from Nike. Granted that Maryland has a special UA connection and none of those are high-prestige schools, but I don't think Nike would break the bank to hang onto a school like Illinois, Northwestern, or Minnesota.

AroxM.jpgG1ixg.jpgHSqLu.jpg4v9gF.jpg

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I'm guessing it's going to be one of the Adidas schools. I can't see Nike letting UA take one of their schools.

UA has already stolen Texas Tech, Maryland, Hawaii, and South Florida from Nike. Granted that Maryland has a special UA connection and none of those are high-prestige schools, but I don't think Nike would break the bank to hang onto a school like Illinois, Northwestern, or Minnesota.

Nike has a pretty good relationship with Illinois basketball and I do not see them jumping ship. As for Minnesota, Nike is giving them their Oregon/ASU-style facelift which means they are sticking with Nike for awhile too. Northwestern is out of the picture because I thought UA mentioned this new team being a bowl team. Wisconsin seem to be the mostly likely Big Ten making the change. I'm not one of the few on here that claim to have any sort of inside info, because I do not. I'm leaning towards Wisconsin based off of internet buzz and Wisconsin's current stance on sweatshops. If I'm not mistaken, we will learn about Adidas' fate concerning the Badgers on the 16th of December (tomorrow).

I just realized that all of those schools uniforms were better before UA took over.

UA can't take Northwestern from Nike anyway. Northwestern's an Adidas school.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Nike has a pretty good relationship with Illinois basketball and I do not see them jumping ship. As for Minnesota, Nike is giving them their Oregon/ASU-style facelift which means they are sticking with Nike for awhile too. Northwestern is out of the picture because I thought UA mentioned this new team being a bowl team. Wisconsin seem to be the mostly likely Big Ten making the change. I'm not one of the few on here that claim to have any sort of inside info, because I do not. I'm leaning towards Wisconsin based off of internet buzz and Wisconsin's current stance on sweatshops. If I'm not mistaken, we will learn about Adidas' fate concerning the Badgers on the 16th of December (tomorrow).

Northwestern is playing Texas A&M in the Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas in Houston.

There have been a few rumors about Northwestern going to Under Armour over the last couple of months, but nothing substantial. Our homecoming game against Penn State was the first time that Adidas really showed some interest in NU, providing some nice one-time uniforms. But they've done a terrible job with Northwestern striping on our uniforms. UA and Nike do them much better.

I just realized that all of those schools uniforms were better before UA took over.

If by better, you mean worse, then yes.

6fQjS3M.png

Northwestern is playing Texas A&M in the Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas in Houston.

I didn't know that. Hmmmm interesting.

I guess I need to be more cognitive of non-west coast college teams. ^_^

Archived