My First Concept

Phillyphan63

Hey all, I've been a long time lurker on these boards, not exactly sure how long but probably at least over a year. I've loved seeing all of the concepts people post on these boards and seeing all the talent everyone here has. Ever since seeing these I've been quietly working on making my own logos and jersey but only to not post them. I've only posted actual images I've created I think twice and only for concepts that were for group participation. But now I think I'm finally ready to get critiqued on these boards. I know how people get advice and sometimes it isn't pretty so don't be shy to tear up my work as I know it is no where near the best.

Now to the actual concept I've been working on this is for one of the fantasy colleges I've created, Arizona Atheist University. I came up with this team a long time ago it was my first teambuilder team back when team builder came out. The name is kind of personal because it involved both my religion and where I go to visit all of the time. The logos them selves aren't that good but its the jerseys I'm more worried about so here are the logos for the AAU Jackalopes.

AAUffhsadf.png?t=1324232755AAUSecondaryLogo.png?t=1324232745

And for the uniforms I wanted to give them a sort of a more new look with the font but also not to have too much going on with the jersey or the pants

Home

AAUHelmet.png?t=1324233394

AAUHomeJersey.png?t=1324233511

AAUHomePants.png?t=1324233457

Road

AAURoadJersey.png?t=1324233358

AAURoadPants.png?t=1324233262

166gd1j.jpg

Your numbers are too wide. Any double-digit number not containing a 1 would either be cut off by the arms, or go on top of them.

Agreed, and the same can be said for the nameplate font. A name like "Van Landingham" or "Langenbrunner" would run way off the shoulders. You always have to plan for the worst-case scenario.

The numbers are too close together. Give them a little room to breathe.

Not feeling the red jackalope on the gold sleeve. Not enough contrast between the two colours. Either give the red jackalope a white outline or make him white altogether.

Seems to be a bit of a clash in styles here, too. You've got some fairly retro logos, with AAU in varsity block letters and a simple jackalope silhouette, a very simple uniform template, but the modern fonts for the numbers, name and "Arizona" down the leg don't fit with the rest of the package.

you need more gold on the white one! listen to the other guys as well.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Alright so here goes the second try I tired to address everyone's suggestions they were very helpful and I see what you all mean about the clash of styles and I'll try to address that as the concept evolves. First off the GCU similarity is just coincidence I thought up this team well before I knew there even was a GCU and I'm not going to change it now. Second the varsity block logo didn't tie in with the rest of the concept so I did away with that and introduced the logo to the font that is used for the rest of the concept. So here are the new logos

NewAAULogo.png?t=1324340592AAUSecondaryLogo.png?t=1324232745

For the uniforms I took what everyone said into consideration. I made the numbers smaller and changed the name to show that they can fit in longer names. I changed a few colors on the actual jersey and tried to make it look a little more modern. Also I noticed that the jackalope on the side view shouldn't be there it's on the other side of the jersey so I removed it. Tell me what you guys think.

Home

AAUHomeJersey2-1.png?t=1324341802

AAUHomePants-1.png?t=1324341836

Road

AAURoadJersey2-1.png?t=1324341905

AAURoadPants-3.png?t=1324341937

166gd1j.jpg

almost perfect. the logo on the helmet shold be moved to the shoulders on the jersey. i love the addition of antlers, its something unique and different. i hate it when teams have the same old stuff all the time.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

I think the logos are just fine where they are respectively. The antlers certainly distinguish them from the norm a la Oregon duck wings. I find the main logo still needs to be better adjusted to the rest of the fonts. Great project overall!

Midway.png

Try moving the antlers to the helmet. I do like the idea of them on the Jersey, though.

Helmet antlers? Move over Rams! If that's well executed, it could end up being one of the best "simple-yet-effective" ideas ever around here. Then the logo could be moved to the sleeves (and always facing forward), or, heaven forbid, sleeve numbers could make a comeback saving commentators everywhere a lot of headache lol.

The ARIZONA on the leg definitely IS misleading. There's nothing wrong with plain pants. In fact, I think it's a lost art. Maybe move the AAU logo to the hips if you want something, but even that's not necessary.

Good concept that has already come a long way. Stick with it!

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Alright everyone here's a third try I moved the antlers to the helmet and did a made a few changes to the jersey moving the rabbit to the shoulders and since the rabbits where going to be on the jersey already I took them off of the undershirt and added something new to the undershirt. As for the pants I moved the AAU logo onto the side rather than the front of the pants and I gave everyone a new view of the pants so there is nothing more "misleading" about the concept. I see what you guys might be hinting at I can't just have it say Arizona. I mean TCU doesn't just every have a uniform that just says Texas but they don't use Christian either but I digress. None the less here's my latest update

NewAAULogo.png?t=1324340592AAUSecondaryLogo.png?t=1324232745

Home

AAUHelmet2.png?t=1324475733

AAUHomeJersey3.png?t=1324505746

AAUHomePants2.png?t=1324505783

Road

AAUHelmet2.png?t=1324475733

AAURoadJersey3.png?t=1324505873

AAURoadPants2.png?t=1324505917

Both sides of the pants hope its not longer "misleading"

AAUBothsidespants.png?t=1324505985

166gd1j.jpg

they're busy uniforms...but a small school usually does a lot of that to make the players happy. I think they're great, and the helmets are really really unique (and in a good way). I'd like to see the jersey logos on the sides of the shoulders, but really, there's not much of a difference.

I'd say it's perfect. Nice work.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived