PENN STATE rebranding concept/vision (UPDATE: 23.Oct.2014, Post #45)

BroadSt_Bully

UPDATE, 23.Oct.2014: See Post #45 for new primary mark and wordmark.

This is my first attempt at any sort of concept or branding guide.

I've created a Google Doc illustrating my vision for a rebranding of Penn State athletics. Picture this as a booklet with the full page pictures on the left side of an open fold.

The goal was to create a simple, bold, timeless mark that exemplifies four core ideals of Penn State athletics: tradition, integrity, pride and strength.

I actually revived this logo several years ago and have a tailgating flag that I get a lot of positive comments for (see Page 8), and with Penn State and its current "chipmunk" logo cast in a negative light recently, I thought the time was finally right to proceed with this.

Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3xtcNoPH-nzMmJiZmQ4NDYtY2E4Ny00ZGU4LWI5MWMtNmIyM2RlYzFlZDRi

The wordmark was adapted from a version found on some Penn State merchandise and the uniforms of a few varsity teams.

I'd love some feedback on this and I'll be doing some tweaking over the next few days. Most notably, I'm working on obtaining a hi-res image of the vintage photo on Page 6. Please note that Google docs removes some subtle detailing, such as a speckled background behind the marks on Page 9.

Thanks!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as a PSU student and fan, I love this too much. excellent work. Appreciate a PSU concept that doesnt include "bah change everything and put teh logo on teh helmetzzzzz!!!!1"

Changing the football uniform is certainly NOT an option. :boogie:

I've never understood why everyone considers doing that.

Excellent presentation, by the way.

I can tell you put a lot of time, thought, and energy into this presentation, just based on the whole TIPS concept. That is an EXCELLENT angle from which to present the rest of this program. And speaking as a former prepress editor, I can say that, if that program was to ever run to press, full-color photos excluded, that job wouldn't amount to much--that is, the price per unit would be among the cheapest, considering you'd only be using one spot color on white...which is where this one suggestion comes into play: try grayscaling and monotoning (I don't think that's an actual word, but if you use Photoshop you should know what I mean) the images you have using whatever spot blue you used. That way, the entire product could be run using only one ink color. And while that's on my mind, let me also add this: again, images notwithstanding (in current guise), what you've managed to achieve is something many pros have a hard time accomplishing: producing a complete, concise, visually appealing product while a/ keeping it simple and 2/ using the least amount of spot colors possible. I'm interested to see how that would look...and if nothing else, it'd definitely reinforce the overall navy-and-white simplistic combo Penn State is known for. One quick question, since the display reads as sequential pages rather than spreads: do you intend for the inside front and back covers to be blank?

And before I forget...that keystone "S" logo is the PERFECT choice for a new Penn State identity...so genius I'm curious as to how they ever managed to get away from it in the first place. And somehow, the block font you used still has a certain distinctiveness about it.

Overall, I love it, even for having seen it for the first time.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I can tell you put a lot of time, thought, and energy into this presentation, just based on the whole TIPS concept. That is an EXCELLENT angle from which to present the rest of this program. And speaking as a former prepress editor, I can say that, if that program was to ever run to press, full-color photos excluded, that job wouldn't amount to much--that is, the price per unit would be among the cheapest, considering you'd only be using one spot color on white...which is where this one suggestion comes into play: try grayscaling and monotoning (I don't think that's an actual word, but if you use Photoshop you should know what I mean) the images you have using whatever spot blue you used. That way, the entire product could be run using only one ink color. And while that's on my mind, let me also add this: again, images notwithstanding (in current guise), what you've managed to achieve is something many pros have a hard time accomplishing: producing a complete, concise, visually appealing product while a/ keeping it simple and 2/ using the least amount of spot colors possible. I'm interested to see how that would look...and if nothing else, it'd definitely reinforce the overall navy-and-white simplistic combo Penn State is known for. One quick question, since the display reads as sequential pages rather than spreads: do you intend for the inside front and back covers to be blank?

And before I forget...that keystone "S" logo is the PERFECT choice for a new Penn State identity...so genius I'm curious as to how they ever managed to get away from it in the first place. And somehow, the block font you used still has a certain distinctiveness about it.

The grayscaling/"monotoning" is definitely something I can experiment with; that's an excellent point you raised in terms of reinforcing the blue and white. I find it amazing that I could cram all of the poignant information into such a small amount of paragraphs. I'm typically a concise writer (to a fault, admittedly), but I feel like I could've easily wrote a 25 page paper on this with all of the research I did and considering how strongly I feel emotionally about everything that's happened.

Regarding the inside covers, the way I have it set up, the inside front cover would contain that photo on Page 2 and the inside back cover would consist of the marks on Page 9. Basically, the overall theme is full-size photo on the left side of the spread, with a narrative page on the right. Is that the correct way to go about it, in your opinion?

Thanks so much for the feedback!

The grayscaling/"monotoning" is definitely something I can experiment with; that's an excellent point you raised in terms of reinforcing the blue and white. I find it amazing that I could cram all of the poignant information into such a small amount of paragraphs. I'm typically a concise writer (to a fault, admittedly), but I feel like I could've easily wrote a 25 page paper on this with all of the research I did and considering how strongly I feel emotionally about everything that's happened.

Regarding the inside covers, the way I have it set up, the inside front cover would contain that photo on Page 2 and the inside back cover would consist of the marks on Page 9. Basically, the overall theme is full-size photo on the left side of the spread, with a narrative page on the right. Is that the correct way to go about it, in your opinion?

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Re: the bolded part...the fact that you were able to do that speaks to your ability to analyze, synthesize, summarize, and effectively and clearly communicate a wealth of info in the most concise way possible--or said another way, "do the most with the least". Employers LOVE that.

Regarding your layout...you may not like what I'm about to say, but I'll say it anyway: if you were intending for content to print on the inside front and back...you'll have to re-do your layout, because 10 pages won't fit onto two press sheets. (And if this job was to go to press, that's how you'd have to think about it.) Do this: take an 8.5x11 sheet in paper, cut it (or tear it) in half lengthwise, stack them together and fold it. That would comprise your dummy rough for this project. You'd have your front cover (1), inside front cover (2), then pages 3, 4 (which would back up page 3), 5, 6 (which would back up page 5), inside back cover (7), and finally the back cover (8). Once you've labeled them, hold the dummy in front of you to where you're looking at the front cover, unfold it so that the front and back cover is still facing you, then put it down on the table and slide the cover page up above the inside sheet. The front side of the first sheet should be (page) 8/1; flip that page over and you get 2/7. The front side of your second sheet would then be 6/3; flip that over and you'll have pages 4/5. What you've just done is identified what's called "facing pages". Most desktop pusblishing software has templates for this type of thing--I know InDesign gives you the option of working in spreads, with several options. (I haven't touched that program in a while, though, and it was CS2 at that, so my memory is very rusty on exactly how it's set up now.)

Now that you have the paper template to work from, it'll help guide you the rest of the way. (The most important part to any press project is getting the right setup before you even start composing the job.) Now, in this instance, you won't have to start from square one; you'd just have to look at what you have and decide how to best edit it to fit within those eight pages. (If you want more content, you could add another leaf to the book...but that'd give you four more pages of content, probable way more than you need.)

Is this helping you at all? Don't want to confuse you. ^_^ (Oh, and if anyone else reading this wants to chime in and help me shake off some of my rust from all this, please do so...I know I missed some parts in here.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

Such a polished, professional presentation. Your dedication to your work is clearly showing. I love the logo and the wordmark; they have the makings of something really iconic. Top shelf stuff.

teamlogossig.png

There comes a point when you don't stand for the constant heartbreak anymore, and walk away.

HA! I didn't even think of that. Man, I feel really dumb right now. :wacko:

Don't even feel bad, dude. Every single graphic design/visual communications student has had that feeling before...its all a part of the learning process.

Let me ask you this: have you had any kind of formal training or schooling in any facet of design? Because if you haven't, and yet still managed to produce that project, then imma tell you now...you have a true gift of raw talent. I can tell that right off the bat.

HA! I didn't even think of that. Man, I feel really dumb right now. :wacko:

Don't even feel bad, dude. Every single graphic design/visual communications student has had that feeling before...its all a part of the learning process.

Let me ask you this: have you had any kind of formal training or schooling in any facet of design? Because if you haven't, and yet still managed to produce that project, then imma tell you now...you have a true gift of raw talent. I can tell that right off the bat.

I'm wondering if I can get creative with the document binding without having to increase the number of pages, should I choose to go that far along in the process. I guess that's an avenue I can explore and examine my options.

I've never had any formal training, nor did I take a graphic design class in college; I kick my myself everyday for not doing so when I had the chance.

I'm a cartographer by trade - in the oh-so-glamorous world of flood hazard mapping - so I suppose I do have a bit of an eye for visual aesthetics. My strengths, artistically, are with color theory. Thanks for the kind words!

I will say the presentation is on the right track and very impressive for someone with no formal design training (I happen to be a graphic designer who does cartography as a hobby, so it's funny that you're the opposite). You'd either have to extend your book to 12 pages, or cut it to 8 for printing, but well done nonetheless. As far as critique goes, I find the pages to be a little 'full' so to speak, and I think the way they are horizontally bisected damages the proper flow of content and white space that you want.

As for the logo, I think that particular style of S is a little too chunky for me, but the Keystone S is absolutely the logo they should be using, and I've thought that for years. I'd just like to see an S that's a little skinnier.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

^ Listen to this guy right here...he knows his s###.

Re: your previous post, Bully...ot a problem, man. That piece, and your raw talent and skill, have thoroughly impressed me...and its been a while since I've been so blown away by a concept project around these parts, and I'd be remiss if I didn't share some of my insight with you, especiallly if it helps you cultivate and improve your skills. Sure, you're lacking in technical knowledge, but that can come in time-hell I'm no technical expert myself and I completed my degree in 2006. Shoot, I've produced so many concept sets around here over the years that I done lost count, and yet I still suck at actual logo design (that's never been a strength of mine). But what you have is an eye for color, a good sense of working with typography even though you may not realize it, and a very good sense of theme i.e. the TIPS thing. And that's with NO formal training. You'd be amazed how many graphic design students couldn't produce a piece like yours even WITH formal training.

Keep working at this, and if you have any further questions or curiosities, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm no expert, but I'll help when and where I can, especially if it'll help you advance your ambitions and skills.

(Not to get all nostalgic, but that, in essence, is what this Concepts forum used to be about. And bear in mind, all of us 'vets" once sat in your position, looking to share a vision with the world, hoping foir good feedback and advice to help us grow as artists/designers/what-have-you.)

Archived