PENN STATE rebranding concept/vision (UPDATE: 23.Oct.2014, Post #45)

BroadSt_Bully

I will say the presentation is on the right track and very impressive for someone with no formal design training (I happen to be a graphic designer who does cartography as a hobby, so it's funny that you're the opposite). You'd either have to extend your book to 12 pages, or cut it to 8 for printing, but well done nonetheless. As far as critique goes, I find the pages to be a little 'full' so to speak, and I think the way they are horizontally bisected damages the proper flow of content and white space that you want.

As for the logo, I think that particular style of S is a little too chunky for me, but the Keystone S is absolutely the logo they should be using, and I've thought that for years. I'd just like to see an S that's a little skinnier.

You know, now that I think about it, extending to 12 pages may be the way to go. If I split the "Inspiration" page into two, that will also help free up white space and make it appear less cluttered. I'll work on that over the next few days and upload the revision.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To think I was going to make a joke about the "integrity" part...I was going to, and then I looked at the presentation. Absolutely stunning, sir. My mind has been blown to a degree that no concept has blown it before.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Presentation is great but I'm not feeling the logo at all like everyone else. How is basically a square with an S in it an upgrade? And picking 4 values and coming up with an acronym won't restore Penn State's image. I like the logo....for a tailgating flag, like you said. But for a school primary and to restore the schools broken image? No

Presentation is great but I'm not feeling the logo at all like everyone else. How is basically a square with an S in it an upgrade? And picking 4 values and coming up with an acronym won't restore Penn State's image. I like the logo....for a tailgating flag, like you said. But for a school primary and to restore the schools broken image? No

Got a better idea? Share.

It's one thing to not like something--and not everyone has to like everything, it's perfectly okay to not like something--but its another thing to communicate why you don't something, so, that said, counter-question...why, in your opinion, would that "S" within a "square" not be an upgrade? And additionally, that basic square you speak of is also a symbol for the state of Pennsylvania, the Keystone State--makes pefect sense that way.

Also, Why do you feel Think Penn State's image is broken? Got a better way to repair it? Let's hear it. Your name's The Fixer, right? Well, let's see your idea to, well, fix it. :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

While not everyone may not agree that this is the right way to "fix"the program and identity, I can say this: BEAUTIFUL. Love the presentation, and I'm amazed at the thought that went into this. Something that I feel a lot of conceptual work is missing these days. Excellent planning and presentation. I'd love to see you take this even further over time, expanding into uniforms, signage, gear, etc. it would be cool to see this plan "executed". Nice work!

As for the logo, I think that particular style of S is a little too chunky for me, but the Keystone S is absolutely the logo they should be using, and I've thought that for years. I'd just like to see an S that's a little skinnier.

My thoughts exactly.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Speaking from a marketing perspective here- you've done a really nice job. As we know it's often the rationale and strategy that will truly sell the creative (no matter how well executed). The one lingering thing in my mind is how the "TIPS" will play out. Will that ever be consumer facing? It's great if it's just an internal rallying call, but you may want to clarify that. Maybe that's already a PSU tradition, but just my one thought.

Nice job.

Regarding "TIPS":

I did not intend for it to be any sort of slogan or tagline. It is merely an anagram for the first letters of the four keystone ideas that are, and ought to be, paramount to Penn State athletics. I did a survey of friends, Twitter followers and message boards and these were the four words that came up most often. I could've arranged the first letters into "SPIT," but that wouldn't suit my objective well. :P

I wanted to tie those four values in with the University in a simple, powerful manner on one page, so that's why I arranged the first letters as "TIPS" and came up with "This Is Penn State."

About the Block 'S':

That style of Block 'S' - thick with square serifs - is the Penn Stater varsity letter (see below). That is something I really didn't want to mess with; in addition, it mirrors the 'S' character in "STATE" in the wordmark. Would it look odd if the Block 'S' in the keystone and the 'S' in the wordmark were of different weights?

080dbcc744734a55b5c7d99.jpg

Again, thanks to everyone so much for the feedback! I'll be making some adjustments over the coming days now that I've had a chance to sit back, look at the product, its criticisms, and let everything digest.

Regarding "TIPS":

I did not intend for it to be any sort of slogan or tagline. It is merely an anagram for the first letters of the four keystone ideas that are, and ought to be, paramount to Penn State athletics. I did a survey of friends, Twitter followers and message boards and these were the four words that came up most often. I could've arranged the first letters into "SPIT," but that wouldn't suit my objective well. :P

I wanted to tie those four values in with the University in a simple, powerful manner on one page, so that's why I arranged the first letters as "TIPS" and came up with "This Is Penn State."

About the Block 'S':

That style of Block 'S' - thick with square serifs - is the Penn Stater varsity letter (see below). That is something I really didn't want to mess with; in addition, it mirrors the 'S' character in "STATE" in the wordmark. Would it look odd if the Block 'S' in the keystone and the 'S' in the wordmark were of different weights?

080dbcc744734a55b5c7d99.jpg

Again, thanks to everyone so much for the feedback! I'll be making some adjustments over the coming days now that I've had a chance to sit back, look at the product, its criticisms, and let everything digest.

I think the S works at the scale of a varsity jacket letter, but probably needs a bit of a diet when used in a logo, especially at print sizes. There's no reason you can't keep that same style of S, just thinned out a little bit, and then use that thinner S as the basis for your wordmarks.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• 5 weeks later...

My thoughts exactly.

another vote for this, good stuff but it's just a basic athletic block S that any school might have, make it more unique and you'll have a great concept.

just saw the varsity letter on the jacket, again....what Harry said.

Got a better idea? Share.

It's one thing to not like something--and not everyone has to like everything, it's perfectly okay to not like something--but its another thing to communicate why you don't something, so, that said, counter-question...why, in your opinion, would that "S" within a "square" not be an upgrade? And additionally, that basic square you speak of is also a symbol for the state of Pennsylvania, the Keystone State--makes pefect sense that way.

Also, Why do you feel Think Penn State's image is broken? Got a better way to repair it? Let's hear it. Your name's The Fixer, right? Well, let's see your idea to, well, fix it. :P

His comments were perfectly legit and not liking a concept does not mean he, or anyone else, is required to post one of their own.

It's a forum.

LehQRaC.png

Your Keystone symbology is perfect for Pennsylvania, too.

The old Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) used similar marks, and even referred to themselves as "the Keystone Route." I'm sure several other Pennsylvania businesses have done the same.

pennsylvania_railroad_keystone_black_gold_magnet-p147514073968441294z8x0x_400.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

• 1 month later...

It's been awhile, but I let the dust settle and made some revisions recently.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3xtcNoPH-nzMmJiZmQ4NDYtY2E4Ny00ZGU4LWI5MWMtNmIyM2RlYzFlZDRi

The document was expanded to 12 pages so it can be produced in booklet form, though no content was really added. The "Inspiration" page was split into "Inspiration" and "Charge" to reduce clutter and allow for a cleaner look.

I also reduced the number of photos on the content pages from 4 to 2, while introducing the blue stripe from the football helmet as a consistent visual element across all pages.

Unfortunately, I was unable to tackle the bulkiness of the Block-'S' and match the wordmark to my liking. I know the University has the "reduced fat" artwork I want (which really is equivalent to your suggestions of a slightly leaner Block-'S'), but I will wait until after I send this to them to request it. The differences are really minute.

Thanks, once again, for everyone's input!

I also like that you decided to include Joe Paterno's graduating class. Perhaps controversial, but it was the right thing to do.

2c976890a47510ec2c7e7f7c2daeb45e_1M.png

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived