SFGiants58's MLB

SFGiants58

Atlanta: While the black and red would match Atlanta's football team, the Braves are a blue and red team. On top of historical reasons, it just looks better that way. However, your design is spectacular. If that black was blue, it'd be the best set the Braves could wear. I love the return of the red bill on the road, lack of nameplates, the consistency of the piping, and the change of script color on the road alt.

Philadelphia: Sorry, I just don't get the common love of the old colors. While maroon would be unique, I don't think it pairs well with the blue or the cream. The set just doesn't work together for me. Not that the script and design is bad, I just think they look better in the current set.

Miami: Simply beautiful. Love the color choice, even the much brighter choice from your first version(although the road grey is much better on the update). This is the direction they should've gone. Love the Marlins on home, as it should be. Love the consistent placement of the marlin behind the first M, unlike their current set. Love the hats, numbers, and shoes. Only thing that might need a change would be to flip the colors on the stirrups and the road script. Much look okay in it's current state, but might look weird. Overall this is great, especially that lack of black. That doesn't fit the city. Your concept however screams Miami in the best way possible.

New York: Personally I prefer the Mets sans-pins especially considering their cross town rival. However, it still looks great. Love the orange alt. I don't care if there's already an orange alt in use in SF and BAL. If MLB can have numerous reds and blues, why not three orange alts? Anyway. Also love the return of the away script. Much more consistent looking with the classic home script. I like that you have two undershirt choices here, like Miami. Used as shown here, it'd be the best possible choice for the given jerseys. Only real suggestion would be the current alt without pins, although I can live with it.

Washington: Love the brighter colors, home script, hats, and nod to Expos. However, not sure about exclusive use of DC on hats, as much as I hate the current W. Also, not sure about the red alt. It appears to be, like the hat, a nod to the past, but I think the hat suffices, and a bright blue Nationals script on the red alt would look awesome.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, here are the first few teams of the AL West!

SEATTLE MARINERS

The 90s design for the Mariners, let's face it, is kind of bland. There's nothing that's truly exciting or eye-catching in the scripts or logos. The 1981-86 branding, however, was quite unique. That branding is restored to Seattle, with the addition of teal as a secondary color (still needs that connection to the Pacific Northwest and the green/teal in all Seattle teams, and the demotion of gold to an accent color.

Logos:

6740324825_9b7fd1dfc1_b.jpg

A new secondary is present, in the form of the isolated trident.

Uniforms:

6740325101_44a2622d8a_b.jpg

Double outlined MLB block returns, and all caps have teal bills (something I liked about the mid-90s Mariners caps). Gold is used as an accent color on the scripts and shoelaces, as it gives the design a little more "punch" than silver.

HOUSTON ASTROS

Let's face it, they shouldn't go into the AL West looking like a "railroad" team. I know that's part of the current stadium's history, but it should be downplayed in favor of the team's history. So, I've decided to take the old "shooting star" design from 1965-1974 and modernize it with the classic colors.

Logos:

6734853245_ac0e2ca727_b.jpg

The primary is a seal with a rotated version of the current star (designed to from an "A"/rocket taking off) and the skyline of Houston in the background (if I could have found a silhouette of Minute Maid Park, that would've been used). The secondary is simply the star, and the tertiary is a tribute to the classic rainbow striping.

Uniforms:

6734879949_b01080d12e_b.jpg

The "Shooting Star" design is now used on the road uniform (which retains the mid-80s grey color) to match it to the home uniform. Sleeve stripes return, as well as the orange cap on one of the alts. Speaking of the orange alt, the rainbow striping goes on the sleeves, a la the 1985-1993 uniforms.

Next up, Texas, California, and Oakland!

Mariners: Looks good. Blue-Gold are the Brewers' colours; I love the addition of NW Green", but really, it's teal). The one thing I don't like is the piping. The yellow is indiscernible on white and I can't tell if it's blue and yellow mixing to look green or if it's NW Green.

Houston: Simple fantastic. There's not much else to say.

Also, I should point out a tiny error: on the top right part of the home pants, part of the fabric under the belt is orange.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Love the two new ones. I really like how that color scheme works for the Mariners. On the Houston one, I like where its going. I think that the star on the scripts could be bigger to emphasize it more. On the home jersey, the star is blue, which throws me off a little. On the home alternate, I like how you tried to incorporate the tertiary stripes onto the top, but I think it makes it look too cluttered. I would stick with just blue on the sleeves. Can't wait to see what you do next!

critic2.png

the only critic i have is with the houston astros. I like how you tweaked the current logo but when you combine it with swoosh like a shooting star it doesnt work IMO. The motion of the of where the purple is shows form left to right but since you have the main logo having a feel of its going up, it just doesn't make sense to me.. the current logo of the astros would work better with the swoosh because the swoosh and the current would flow well as seen in green

but its not horrible. using the current logo doesnt look that great either

Glad to see this series back. In all honestly, when I first saw the M's was going to be teal, blue, and yellow, I thought to myself "this is going to look awful." To be honest, I think it looks fantastic. Two things that I would change though, on the blue alternate, make the undershirts blue as well. Not a fan of teal sleeves. Also, make the button on top of the caps teal to match the brim. The yellow one sticks out like a sore thumb.

As for the Astros, it looks great. The only thing that I don't like is the all-orange cap with the blue jersey. I would switch the cap choice for the two alternates.

Great work, can't wait to see more!

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

critic2.png

the only critic i have is with the houston astros. I like how you tweaked the current logo but when you combine it with swoosh like a shooting star it doesnt work IMO. The motion of the of where the purple is shows form left to right but since you have the main logo having a feel of its going up, it just doesn't make sense to me.. the current logo of the astros would work better with the swoosh because the swoosh and the current would flow well as seen in green

but its not horrible. using the current logo doesnt look that great either

Nailed it.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Well, here it is, my interpretation of the MLB. The process will go like this: I create an entire division's worth of concepts, receive and act upon C+C, and present revised editions of the concepts. With that said, here are the batterman logos for each team. The concepts will be released by division. I've tried to add some variety in color schemes, without going to the extreme of giving every team its unique color scheme, as I'm a bit of a traditionalist. Anyway, here are the logos, set apart by division:

6562580479_92e62ae50e_b.jpg

I've made sure that there is only one rwb team per division, if that. Also, I'm using a system on the batterman logos where the left side is the primary color, and the right is the secondary.

AL Central is stumping me!

Sox = Red/Black ?

Indians = Purple or Maroon/Gold ?

Twins = Green/Blue ?

Royals = Navy/Blue

Tigers = Navy/Orange

87Redskins.png

Here are the last 3 of the AL West concepts.

OAKLAND ATHLETICS

I LOVE their current color scheme, and the basic layout of their uniforms. However, there are some severe problems with the team's design.

1. The "A's" in the primary logo doesn't match the "A's" used on the caps.

2. Without piping, they have a green+gold Dodgers aesthetic.

3. The Green alt should not be used at home.

4. The caps should all have gold bills.

I have tried to fix these issues, and here is my interpretation.

LOGOS:

6773270847_461ac1fea9_b.jpg

The 1970s-1992 "A's" makes a return, the "A's" logo is consistent in between the primary logo and the cap logo, and the elephant gets the proper "A's" logo on his carpet. Also, a gold outline has been added to the cap logo to spice it up.

UNIFORMS:

6773270763_0603d2492e_b.jpg

The home script logo now has 1 old-English serif as a reference to the Philadelphia Athletics logo, the piping has been increased to levels similar to the early-1980s uniforms, a front number has been added to the gold alt (in tribute to the 1972 team), and the road alt now has the "Oakland" script to bring it to road-only status.

TEXAS RANGERS

Now, this team has problems. The Texas "Texases" aside, the colors are inconsistent (why do they use red caps on uniforms with blue-dominant scripts), double outlines that aren't done well, a terrible NOB font that's crowded and has an overdose of drop shadow, and colors that are too dark. I have fixed these issues.

LOGOS:

6773270493_6be3c249ca_b.jpg

The new color scheme is straight blue/red, an inverted version of the Washington Nationals. The old alternate logo has become the primary, and the cap logo now has an outline, as opposed to the old Lakers number font-style drop shadow. The secondary is unchanged.

UNIFORMS:

6773270613_1e951697d8_b.jpg

The "Rangers" script logo returns to the home uniform, as well as the block standard NOB. The numbers are the current numbers, without double outline. I've also gotten an idea from McCall, as I have used the late 80s-early 90s script on the blue alt, and I've also removed all drop shadow. The red alt is a new creation, designed for only occasional use on the road.

Los Angeles Anaheim California Angels of Aneheim

OK, this one might be controversial. First, the name change. I think that the "California" name suits the team far more, and that since it is a large part of the team's history, it should be maintained. Also, the team needs to focus on a a blue-dominant design (distinction from the Red Sox) and a restoration of the classic colors in their entirety.

LOGOS:

6734839317_f0493abf50_b.jpg

The old school California Angels logo returns, with the new "A" in the center. The script logos are now free of the inner drop shadow and beveling, and the silver has been replaced with athletic gold. The blue cap with red bill is now the primary, and the red cap has the colors inverted from the blue cap.

UNIFORMS:

6773270427_5fe6af4ebc_b.jpg

The blue socks, shoes, and alt return from the 90s. I've kept to tradition with the city name not appearing on the road, and the sleeve patches have been removed. Also, and this may be problematic for some, I've replaced the number font with the Red Sox number font. Now there are some who will argue that only the Red Sox should use this number font, I remind you that the Angels used this font for quite a while, and that many teams have used this font as a "throwback" font. Hell, even the Yankees used this font for quite some time. Also, the edges work well with the lettering font.

After the revisions, the NL Central is next!

Oakland: Fantastic.

Texas: Looks good, but the red alt is bugging me. The "T" on the chest is too big, and the white "T" on red (jersey) looks horrible with the white "T" on blue (cap).

Angels: I especially like the alts, but the chest logo on the blue alt is too big. When you do the BoSox, you'll have to make sure the alts are noticeably different if you wanna go with that font.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

PRetty good concepts. With Houston, the upright star works well with the city scape, but like others have said not with the shooting star aspect. For the cap and shooting star logos, I'd make the star horizontal.

I also am curious to see what it would like like with a orange cap and blue bill.

The Angels uniforms look good. The primary logo would be great without the wings. I know it adds effect, but it just screams Angels In the Outfield to me. The A in the diamond, minus the wings and I think you got it. Or if you really want the wings, remove the diamond and make the A, ball and wings another alternate logo.

Also on the Angels Alternate uniforms, I'd make the NOB white, with no outline.

Good concepts though. Looking forward to the Cardinals concept!! :)

These are all really nice concepts, but here are the tweaks that I would make:

A's

-Get rid of the yellow outline on the cap logo

-Get rid of all white on the green alternate. The white-yellow-white piping looks really bad, and on green, the yellow script doesn't need a white outline.

Rangers

-Blue alternate looks fine, but I'm guessing that the pants are supposed to be white? Especially since it has the team name on it, has a white script, and you already have a road alternate, I think it would look better at home.

-While the red alternate jersey on its own looks nice, it looks really bad as a full uniform. Red is a light color, and the T and numbers are white. With grey pants, this does not look good. If you want to add a red jersey, it has to be a home alternate. Also, the all-blue hat doesn't look very good with the red jersey. Make an alternate hat that's either fully red, or at least has a red brim or a red crown.

Angels

Great concept, no real complaints here. That red alternate (jersey and hat) look awesome, and would make for one of the best alternate looks in the league IMO.

And for the record, I don't think using the same number font as the Red Sox is a problem, especially because the Red Sox don't wear their numbers on the front of their jerseys.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

maybe.PNG

I had a hard time figuring out some of them as well. This is the best I can figure. Seems like the Florida-based teams swapped colour schemes, and Cleveland went blue-green.

• 2 months later...

Well, it's been over two months. Things have gotten in the way of this project (end of senior year), but now I'm back. Here are the first 2 of my NL Central teams.

MILWAUKEE BREWERS

While it was never a question that I would be re-instating the ball-in-glove logo set, I wanted to modernize it a little. I've used the current color scheme, yet I've replaced metallic/vegas/old gold with athletic gold.

LOGOS:

7040920389_9af7caf660_b.jpg

The classic logos are back, but in the new color scheme. Also, I re-instated the old beer barrel man as an alternate.

UNIFORMS:

6894823250_44d392bdd5_b.jpg

The classic script logos have returned, although the "Milwaukee" script on the road now has a tail (like these) and the font is now a serif varsity variant (same that my Nationals concept used). The gold and navy alts now have the "Brewers" script logo on all of them, and the alt caps are now gold-billed.

ST. LOUIS CARDINALS

The Cardinals have one of the best looks in baseball at this moment. However, there are a few things that could be done with the uniforms and logos to improve upon them.

LOGOS:

7040966633_f50f180253_b.jpg

The uniform script and the primary logo have swapped places, as I've felt that the uniform script has always been more indicative of the Cardinals than any other primary logo. Also, the colors on the home cap insignia are inverted, to allow for better visibility of the logo. Also, the date on the logo sheet is wrong. Whoops.

UNIFORMS:

6894869774_ac704de515_b.jpg

Basically the same as they are now, just with more piping on the home and roads. Also a red home alternate has been added, alongside a road alt that pays tribute to this unused uniform from the 1956 season (link here). After the Giants unveiled their road alt this year, I thought that the concept could work for a few other teams, the Cardinals being one of them.

Next time, the Reds and Cubs!

Archived