infrared41

What are you watching?

Recommended Posts

Cosmic    2,501
14 minutes ago, GeauxColonels said:

The wife and I are doing a complete series watch of How I met Your Mother and are really enjoying it. We never saw the show when it was airing and decided to make this our summer binge. We've just made it to season 7 now (I believe). I'm also doing a rewatch of Entourage because it had been a while since I had watched the show.

Don't watch the finale. Seriously don't. Just watch the DVD alternate ending. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
McCarthy    6,595

Finally watched The Wire. It was as good as advertised. 

 

Thoughts:

- I think one key theme is that the cops and local government not only don’t win, but are also in many ways more corrupt and morally reprehensible than the criminals they’re chasing. Yes, it feels like a body is getting dropped at least once an episode, and they’re selling drugs, but they’re just doing what they need to do to survive and at least they have a code that they stick to.  

 

- The Bubbles storyline is the best. I could’ve watched a whole series just centered on him. I was cheering his redemption saga throughout the series.

 

- Humanizes the problems associated with urban decay and I think it still holds up even though the latest season is coming up on 10 years old. For this reason this may be the most important TV show of this century.

 

- the reporter making up quotes and receiving a Pulitzer for his “reporting” in season 5 was all too prescient.

 

- Everyone told me the second season was bad, fully skippable, or “weird”, but I found it just as engaging as the rest and I think it’s essential to show that crime is not strictly a young black male inner city drug dealing issue and that the police have their hands full with all manner of illegal activity. Also, needed to show The Greek and how everything was interconnected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OnWis97    2,180
18 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Don't watch the finale. Seriously don't. Just watch the DVD alternate ending. 

I don't agree.  The final season is kind of a drag, as it's essentially 48 hours over 24 episodes, but the finale doesn't bug me.  In fact, to me it makes sense and makes the whole show make sense.  My gut reaction was negative but in reflection, I actually am OK with it.  I think it's probably the most overblown negative reaction to a series finale ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cosmic    2,501
55 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I don't agree.  The final season is kind of a drag, as it's essentially 48 hours over 24 episodes, but the finale doesn't bug me.  In fact, to me it makes sense and makes the whole show make sense.  My gut reaction was negative but in reflection, I actually am OK with it.  I think it's probably the most overblown negative reaction to a series finale ever.

Couldn't disagree more. That whole last season was essentially thrown away in the first three minutes of the finale, they repeated plot points and treated them like it was a big reveal, and it didn't fit the tone of the rest of the series. I think they had their ending in 2005, and didn't respect how the show had grown in those 9 or so years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OnWis97    2,180
1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

Couldn't disagree more. That whole last season was essentially thrown away in the first three minutes of the finale, they repeated plot points and treated them like it was a big reveal, and it didn't fit the tone of the rest of the series. I think they had their ending in 2005, and didn't respect how the show had grown in those 9 or so years.

I think it's been stated that they knew the ending right away.  And I agree to an extent that the show's evolution did diminish the original plan.  It may have been better-served if the show had been one or two seasons shorter (in respect to repeating plot points). 

 

Given that, it makes some sense. Potential spoiler...

 

Spoiler

Just as the kids said, the whole story was about Robin...not the mother.  I'd rather there have been some other guy than Barney (since it gets a bit incestuous) but the show was pointing this way the whole time (even if I did not recognize it).

I think one issue is the mother fit into the show/peer group very well...I liked her quite a bit.  So at that point, having the six of them live happily ever after would have made viewers happy.  And Ted kinda gets to have his cake (Robin) and eat it, too (the kid-raising lifestyle Robin did not want), which maybe some people did not like.

Now, had the show ended the way most of us hoped, would that have diminished the fact that the entire story was pretty much pre-mother?  I suppose not, because I thought it was just a clever title for a show that obviously had to have a long wait for the actual meet.  

I agree with the premise of the last season...all this time for Robin/Barney's wedding and suddenly "we got divorced."  Dedicating that much time to the wedding (particularly when he's just about to end up with Robin) makes that all kinda weird.  But I don't pin that on the finale; I pin it on the final season.  It almost seems like they signed on for one season too many and rather than continue to have Robin bounce between Ted and Barney and have time drag on for one more year, they decided this would be a way to have a season without having to have any actual things happen.  Aside from the "where are they now" (Carl, Ranjit, William Zabka, blah blah, etc.), most of that season was kind of a bust.  It had some laughs, but it just dragged on so slowly.  

 

I don't generally get too worked up about finales anyway.  I find it hyperbolic when people say "it ruined the whole show."  So even if I did not like it, I would not be to worried about it.  There was a lot of disappointment in the Seinfeld finale as well, which I get, but it certainly does not mar the show for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cosmic    2,501
4 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I think it's been stated that they knew the ending right away.  And I agree to an extent that the show's evolution did diminish the original plan.  It may have been better-served if the show had been one or two seasons shorter (in respect to repeating plot points). 

 

Given that, it makes some sense. Potential spoiler...

 

  Hide contents

Just as the kids said, the whole story was about Robin...not the mother.  I'd rather there have been some other guy than Barney (since it gets a bit incestuous) but the show was pointing this way the whole time (even if I did not recognize it).

I think one issue is the mother fit into the show/peer group very well...I liked her quite a bit.  So at that point, having the six of them live happily ever after would have made viewers happy.  And Ted kinda gets to have his cake (Robin) and eat it, too (the kid-raising lifestyle Robin did not want), which maybe some people did not like.

Now, had the show ended the way most of us hoped, would that have diminished the fact that the entire story was pretty much pre-mother?  I suppose not, because I thought it was just a clever title for a show that obviously had to have a long wait for the actual meet.  

I agree with the premise of the last season...all this time for Robin/Barney's wedding and suddenly "we got divorced."  Dedicating that much time to the wedding (particularly when he's just about to end up with Robin) makes that all kinda weird.  But I don't pin that on the finale; I pin it on the final season.  It almost seems like they signed on for one season too many and rather than continue to have Robin bounce between Ted and Barney and have time drag on for one more year, they decided this would be a way to have a season without having to have any actual things happen.  Aside from the "where are they now" (Carl, Ranjit, William Zabka, blah blah, etc.), most of that season was kind of a bust.  It had some laughs, but it just dragged on so slowly.  

 

I don't generally get too worked up about finales anyway.  I find it hyperbolic when people say "it ruined the whole show."  So even if I did not like it, I would not be to worried about it.  There was a lot of disappointment in the Seinfeld finale as well, which I get, but it certainly does not mar the show for me.

I think our opinions are very close, but I think that the finale has to follow the show that preceded it. I can't hold the last season to blame, because it was the same guys who were running the show the whole time (correct me if I'm wrong). The finale came after, even if they planned it from the beginning. The finale should have been the DVD extra, and vice versa. They just had to pull the car into the driveway, but they drove through the back of the garage because they decided they wanted to drag race some guy nine years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cosmic    2,501

Watched the first couple episodes of The Twilight Zone on Netflix last night. The transfer is very clear, and I think the show holds up really well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Red Wolf    646

Finally got around to watching Iron Fist, to be caught up with all of the Netflix Marvel series. It was boring, dumb, and a waste of thirteen hours. If you want to get caught up for Defenders you probably just need to know that he's a guy with a magic fist. Any other questions, you can probably just ask another dork like me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BeerGuyJordan    873
11 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Finally got around to watching Iron Fist, to be caught up with all of the Netflix Marvel series. It was boring, dumb, and a waste of thirteen hours. If you want to get caught up for Defenders you probably just need to know that he's a guy with a magic fist. Any other questions, you can probably just ask another dork like me. 

Here's my take on Iron Fist. Yes, it was very underwhelming. A decade ago, it would have been the best superhero TV around. Marvel Studios has just raised the bar to the point that their "lesser offerings" (Iron Fist, Iron Man 3 and Thor 2, for instance) are better than more than half of what any other studio is contributing to the genre.

 

I say this as a DC fan boy who hates the fact that WB is screwing the pooch, overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Red Wolf    646
49 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Here's my take on Iron Fist. Yes, it was very underwhelming. A decade ago, it would have been the best superhero TV around. Marvel Studios has just raised the bar to the point that their "lesser offerings" (Iron Fist, Iron Man 3 and Thor 2, for instance) are better than more than half of what any other studio is contributing to the genre.

 

I say this as a DC fan boy who hates the fact that WB is screwing the pooch, overall.

You might be right. I like that I can be a bit more picky with my superhero choices. What a world we live in! 

 

I echo your sentiments about DC. I'm more of a DC guy (at least when talking about anything other than the live action films), and it's incredible how they've squandered their universe's potential up until now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
habsfan1    1,290

I wonder how long will the gap be between new seasons of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage, which have all been renewed. Do we add Iron Fist too?

 

Defenders and Punisher are the next series coming up. They usually do 2 per year. So now I'm not sure what's the plan anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BeerGuyJordan    873
On 8/14/2017 at 8:37 PM, habsfan1 said:

I wonder how long will the gap be between new seasons of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage, which have all been renewed. Do we add Iron Fist too?

 

Defenders and Punisher are the next series coming up. They usually do 2 per year. So now I'm not sure what's the plan anymore.

It looks like we can expect Punisher late this year. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are both filming season two, with new seasons of Daredevil and Iron Fist in preproduction and development.

 

I think we're in for three new seasons per year. At least for awhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
habsfan1    1,290
11 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

It looks like we can expect Punisher late this year. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are both filming season two, with new seasons of Daredevil and Iron Fist in preproduction and development.

 

I think we're in for three new seasons per year. At least for awhile.

 

Iron Fist, really? I can't believe they're doing another Iron Fist, after the many dismal reviews I've read.

 

I think it's a little too much, if you include this inflating Marvel Netflix Universe, the 5 DC shows on The CW/FOX, AoS, TWD, FTWD, GoT, the new X-Men show, and whatever non-superhero TV series that one could watch and get invested into. I'm a huge fan of sci-fi and super hero TV shows, but now, especially that I'm not up to date with everything, it's just a bit overkill. I also watch wrestling, hockey, and other sports too. That's a lot of TV...**head explodes**

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BeerGuyJordan    873
1 minute ago, habsfan1 said:

 

Iron Fist, really? I can't believe they're doing another Iron Fist, after the many dismal reviews I've read.

 

I think it's a little too much, if you include this inflating Marvel Netflix Universe, the 5 DC shows on The CW/FOX, AoS, TWD, GoT, the new X-Men show, and whatever non-superhero TV series that one could watch and get invested into. I'm a huge fan of sci-fi and super hero TV shows, but now, especially that I'm not up to date with everything, it's just a bit overkill. I also watch wrestling, hockey, and other sports too. That's a lot of TV...**head explodes**

Iron Fist is being taken over by the Daredevil showrunners. Danny was always super zen. In hoping to show his journey to that place, I think they strayed too far from the source material. It was disappointing, but I'd be willing to give them a second season, if they can course-correct.

 

Regarding everything else, I gave up on the CW's comic shows (except iZombie). Arrow became a drag, and they did too much crossover with the Flash for me to just watch that one. I've become really selective, on my Superhero stuff, and it keeps me from getting burnt out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now