Domestic Soccer 2012

TFoA

http://deadspin.com/5911436/womens-professional-soccer-is-officially-dead

Unfortunate, but the only way a high profile womens league can be successful is if it has the backing of MLS or even the NASL.

Was that picture from an actual game? Geeze Louise not even froiends and family went to the games.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, it's 1-1 going to the 2nd leg in Toronto. I consider myself a Whitecaps fan, but how hilarious would it be if TFC ended up winning the ACC, continuing their run of good play in every competition BUT MLS?

That would be :censored: hilarious. It simply wouldn't work anywhere else BUT Canada, eh? ^_^

I have to disagree. It would suck.

I didn't say it would be a good thing. I just said it would be funny :P

Watching Vancouver lose is always a good thing

1zqy8ok.gif

It's a Chivas home game, and they can't even sell out against the Galaxy. They have one end tarped off, even.

Chivas is so pathetic at this point. The Wilfs should buy Chivas and move them into the new Vikings stadium when it's built. Consider it revenge for the Lakers. :D

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

It's a Chivas home game, and they can't even sell out against the Galaxy. They have one end tarped off, even.

Chivas is so pathetic at this point. The Wilfs should buy Chivas and move them into the new Vikings stadium when it's built. Consider it revenge for the Lakers. :D

I'd still expect Galaxy fans to buy up a decent amount of the tickets. There was a Lakers game at the same time so that could explain some of it, but I'm not sure how much either of those fanbases overlap with the Lakers. Oh, and on the topic of the Galaxy, I keep waiting for them to turn it around but they keep dropping games every week.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The Atlanta Silverbacks beat the Georgia Revolution, meaning they get to host the Seattle Sounders next Wednesday!

Oh, wait...

It looks like the Sounders bought the rights to host the game in Seattle. How is this even allowed? I'm pretty irritated. I was planning on going to the game.

tacobell.jpg

Yes, I root for teams all over the place. And I apparently favor birds.

The Atlanta Silverbacks beat the Georgia Revolution, meaning they get to host the Seattle Sounders next Wednesday!

Oh, wait...

It looks like the Sounders bought the rights to host the game in Seattle. How is this even allowed? I'm pretty irritated. I was planning on going to the game.

The bidding process is different this year. Via http://thecup.us/mor...osting-process/:

In 2012, a new system has been put in place where, in the first two rounds, if both teams meet the minimum venue standards, then a blind draw will determine who will host the match. The only consistency throughout the competition is the host team must pay the federation 15% of the gross gate receipts above $100,000. In Round 3, when Major League Soccer teams join the tournament, the same procedure will be followed, except that the host will also pay a flat hosting fee of $12,000 in advance of the match in addition to the potential 15% if they reach the $100k mark.

soundersbanner.png

Oh, wait...

Same here. I was so excited after watching them beat the Revolution. Then the rumors that I'd been hearing about all day became a reality. I'm pretty pissed right now.

Hell, the Silverbacks could've (and probably would've) gotten stomped by multiple goals and I still would've had a great time just because we'd be seeing the hometown club duke it out against a top-flight club and the 3-time defending Cup holders. Instead, it'll be in Seattle. Plus, it'll now become part of 5 consecutive road games. This decision made no sense from a competitive standpoint, but I guess it made sen$e.

Oh, wait...

The bidding process is different this year. Via http://thecup.us/mor...osting-process/:

In 2012, a new system has been put in place where, in the first two rounds, if both teams meet the minimum venue standards, then a blind draw will determine who will host the match. The only consistency throughout the competition is the host team must pay the federation 15% of the gross gate receipts above $100,000. In Round 3, when Major League Soccer teams join the tournament, the same procedure will be followed, except that the host will also pay a flat hosting fee of $12,000 in advance of the match in addition to the potential 15% if they reach the $100k mark.

Right. But those details were supposedly taken care of last week, when the potential round three matchups were announced.

Seattle's not the only one; on the way back from watching the Stars win in Des Moines, we learned that RSL had bought the home game from the Stars. I understand why they would do it--hell, it's probably the most logical decision--but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Really took the shine off of a fun fourteen-hour roadtrip.

POTD 2013-08-22

Silverbacks respond to fan pressure.

The organization will use the funds for three primary initiatives:

• Fan Appreciation Night on June 16 – The Silverbacks will offer free tickets to their home game on June 16 against the Carolina RailHawks. Tickets can be requested by calling 404-969-4900 or visiting atlantasilverbacks.com/fanappreciationnight.
  • Player personnel – The technical staff has already begun to look to improve the team through additional player signings.
  • MLS exhibition game – The Silverbacks will host an exhibition game at Atlanta Silverbacks Park against a MLS team.

I definitely appreciate the "free" game, but they better make a splash with that player signing (well, a splash by NASL standards) & they still missed the boat bringing a team like the Sounders to Atlanta (one of the few MLS clubs that actually takes the US Open Cup dead serious). Now, they're probably just gonna see some MLS reserve team, because there's no way that an MLS club is gonna come here and give significant run to their 1st team just so some NASL fans can be happy.

All & all, this is nice, but they really could've saved themselves the hassle of trying to fix this by not selling the rights to host the Cup game. That's just my opinion, though. I'll definitely take the free game. :P

That's not exactly helpful for their season-ticket holders, who are likely their most loyal fans and therefore most disappointed by the change.

POTD 2013-08-22

I'd still expect Galaxy fans to buy up a decent amount of the tickets.

Meh, they suck this season. This Galaxy team has the attitude of the "one-and-done" champs ("we don't need to worry about losing; we already have our championship"). No hunger for a repeat. And the fans have reflected that attitude.

With the Red Bulls tie tonight DC can grab 1st place in the East with a win vs NE Saturday. :D

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

TFC wins the Canadian Championship, but still 0-9 in the league. I think they'll win at some point this year (I hope so) but could they be the worst team to compete in the CCL?

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Chicago leads 2-1 after Sean Johnson stuffs a Dallas PK and then Marco Pappa puts in the rebound after Kevin Hartman blocks a Chicago PK.

God, it would be nice to win the Brimstone Cup...

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

And it should be 1-1 because Pappa was clearly in the box when the penalty was kicked. I'm happy that the Fire are up, but the refs really blew this one.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

TFC wins the Canadian Championship, but still 0-9 in the league. I think they'll win at some point this year (I hope so) but could they be the worst team to compete in the CCL?

We were asking this same question when they got into the CCL last season! :lol:

Seriously, though, the Whitecaps have gotta start winning this thing. TFC is at their very worst and yet the 'Caps still can't beat them when it matters. It is indeed hilarious that TFC are once again champions of Canada, but it's sad for the Whitecaps because this is getting to be really embarrassing for them now.

Archived