Domestic Soccer 2012

TFoA

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember reading about about a type of "artificial" pro-rel system on either BigSoccer or the Straight Red Card . I think it went like this:

20 teams in MLS split into MLS1 and MLS2.

Teams play twice against opponents in the same division and once against the teams in the other division.

Four teams from MLS1 and two from MLS2 advance to the MLS Cup playoffs.

MLS2 regular season champion and runner-up both get automatically promoted to MLS1 next year.

Bottom two teams from MLS1 get automatically relegated to MLS2.

Third best team from MLS2 faces third worst team in MLS1 in a pro-rel two-leg playoff.

soundersbanner.png

So the tenth- and eleventh-best teams go to the playoffs, but the fifth- through ninth-best teams don't?

No.

It's not my idea, but I believe that's to alleviate one of the major problems with a pure pro-rel system in MLS: The current owners paid money for an MLS team, not a second division team.

EDIT: So after hearing it the idea assumes we'll have 24 teams. I could have sworn there was something more but it doesn't seem like it.

soundersbanner.png

So the tenth- and eleventh-best teams go to the playoffs, but the fifth- through ninth-best teams don't?

No.

It's not my idea, but I believe that's to alleviate one of the major problems with a pure pro-rel system in MLS: The current owners paid money for an MLS team, not a second division team.

And their cities spent public money to build a stadium for top-flight teams, not second-tier ones.

Still, I don't see those owners being happy about being passed over so lower-table clubs can take their playoff spot.

Did anyone else hear that collective sigh of relief coming out of Toronto last night?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Yeah, 2 nil. Going to the Canadian Championship Final against Vancouver.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

So, they managed to beat... Montreal. And it wasn't even in the league.

I suppose it's a start. :)

Trust me man, we would have taken a win over a U6 team at this point, lol.

So, they managed to beat... Montreal. And it wasn't even in the league.

I suppose it's a start. :)

Trust me man, we would have taken a win over a U6 team at this point, lol.

My money would be on the U6 squad. ^_^

Dynamo's stadium is finished, and it looks to be a keeper. And they're really owning orange. Like, hardcore.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Looks very nice. I would love to head down and check out that stadium.

I have to say, any talk of a promotion/relegation system in North American soccer is probably, oh, 50 years premature at the very least. There simply isn't the number of clubs, or the traction for the sport here yet to make that realistic.

The more traction there is, the more impossible it will be to suddenly relegate teams that have been in the top flight for decades.

It has to be built into the sport from the beginning, or it doesn't happen.

Which is exactly why pro/rel will never come to the United States. The closest we'll ever get to it will be NASL-USL making the jump up to the next level of the pyramid via expansion

So we're screwed, then.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived