NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My rule when texting is that when someone uses acronyms then I quit talking to them. I am sorry if I offended you, but I find it lazy when someone does not type out what they are saying. That is nothing against you, but how I just personally feel. But the reason I like modern uniform designs is because growing up as a Cleveland Browns fan from 1979-1995 I just got tired of their same old look season after season and when they left Cleveland I just changed. I do like classic uniform designs but I believe certain teams should change up their look after several years. Especially when a team like Arizona moved into University of Phoenix Stadium, they had a modern stadium and their look needed a modern feel.

To each their own, but anyways. Didn't the new Browns go with a modern look in 1999? I thought they switched to the modern look with the TV numbers moved to the shoulders and a more modern stripe look. I could've sworn the old Browns TV numbers and stripes resembled the Chiefs prior to their move to Baltimore. Maybe I'm wrong.

Old Browns

pc731.jpglarry-johnson-vs-oakland-thumb-600x419-12977.jpg

New Browns

1500601.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1939057D9939C83F1068C0246723D4B36465A5397277B4DC33E

In that shot of Vinnie Testeverde he just has his sleeve cut short - cutting off the bottom orange and brown stripes. A lot of players in that era, to shorten the sleeves, even cut them to the point where they only had the top two stripes done as a narrow cuff at the end of the jersey (brown/orange on the white jersey, white/thin brown space/orange on the brown jersey).

When they came back in 1999, the uniform supplier (Puma) moved the TV numbers to the shoulders and moved the stripes up on the now almost non-existant sleeves.

While a lot of players had the option of cutting their sleeves, I found a photo of Eric Metcalf that clearly shows the stripes are part of the spandex, which is what the Cheifs also did. Puma made a pretty drastic (modern) adjustment to the stripes in 1999. If you don't think it's a big change, just ask any Chiefs fan how they would feel if KC moved their stripes up to the mid-sleeve.

eric-metcalf-cleveland-browns-autographed-photograph-3367475.jpg

Crap, is this considered "Cleveland jacked" or whatever it's called? I was just referring the Browns attempt to modernize their jersey in 1999 though it still looks pretty dull to me. Sorry.

That is specifically what I was referring to by saying "done as a narrow cuff" - meaning it was knit/spandex and not mearly cut short. You'll find that more and more players did that for the Browns as the years wore on from 1985 (when they went back to the traditional jerseys and white pants) through their last season in 1995 when almost all the players were wearing the cuff-style jerseys. Regardless, the style guide for the team was still the 5 stripes; those other jerseys were "player modifications", which were more accepted as commonplace back then. If you bought a game-type Russell jersey, it would have had the long sleeves with the 5 stripes. Bernie Kosar, for example, always wore the longer sleeve jersey with all the stripes.

Sorry - to me it is more of a change to take your 5-stripe pattern and cut it down to a 2-stripe cuff than it is to move the 5-stripe pattern up on the jersey - which resored the traditional look. The current jerseys have even gone back to the durene-style sleeves (like the Steelers) where the stripes are woven into the fabric as they were in the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, and even the early 1970s.

Regarding the Chiefs - just about from day one when they added stripes in the late 1960s the sleeve stripes were on separate cuffs. In the 1970s when all teams except the Steelers went to mesh jerseys with either screened-on or heat-press numbers some Chiefs players switched up to having screened-on stripes at the end of the jersey instead of the cuff - primarily quarterbacks and receivers. But the standard Chief jersey was still the one with the cuffs.

The Bengals just need to remove the white panels under the arms of the Jersey and their set is great!

I thought the Bengals unis look surprisingly good on Saturday. Much cleaner without side colors. Is it my imagination or is this something new.

NFLGG3.jpg

Nope - the white jerseys have always been solid white (or you could say they have a white side panel but it doesn't show up). Removing the white side panels from the black and orange jerseys would be a minor change that would improve their look quite a bit.

Don't know what difference it makes but I think[that i read somewhere] Nike's NFL duds will be Speed Machine and not Pro Combat

I guess I'm out of the loop on Nike's current names - if the Speed Machine is the current cut with the wire stuff on the collar than that is what I've heard they were going to use as well.

The Bengals just need to remove the white panels under the arms of the Jersey and their set is great!

I thought the Bengals unis look surprisingly good on Saturday. Much cleaner without side colors. Is it my imagination or is this something new.

NFLGG3.jpg

Nope - the white jerseys have always been solid white (or you could say they have a white side panel but it doesn't show up). Removing the white side panels from the black and orange jerseys would be a minor change that would improve their look quite a bit.

True, that would help tremendously. But they'd also have to make a minor modification to go along with it. Check out the top of the pants stripe. That fade-to-white effect is a (failed IMO) attempt to get the white side panels of the jerseys to "flow" into the pants stripe. Much like the Vikings' hip panels (VIKEJACK!!) it doesn't work, but that's what its there for. So, drop the side panels from both black and orange jerseys, have the pants stripe continue with the alternating orange and black tiger stripes all the way up, wear the nearly forgotten orange socks EVERY TIME you wear the black pants, and the Bengals go from bottom 5 to... well, probably bottom 10, but still...

True, that would help tremendously. But they'd also have to make a minor modification to go along with it. Check out the top of the pants stripe. That fade-to-white effect is a (failed IMO) attempt to get the white side panels of the jerseys to "flow" into the pants stripe. Much like the Vikings' hip panels (VIKEJACK!!) it doesn't work, but that's what its there for. So, drop the side panels from both black and orange jerseys, have the pants stripe continue with the alternating orange and black tiger stripes all the way up, wear the nearly forgotten orange socks EVERY TIME you wear the black pants, and the Bengals go from bottom 5 to... well, probably bottom 10, but still...

I don't think the fading pants stripe looks too bad with the white/white combo. I agree that they should eliminate the side panel from the black and orange jerseys, but rather than continuing the tiger stripe up to the armpit (which I think would look busy and confusing) they could simply have a second pair of pants, without the fade, to go with the colored jerseys. This would be similar to the Broncos using pants with a blue or orange stripe depending on their jersey color.

My pet peeve with the Bengals uniform, other than the jersey side panels and the inconsistent nameplates, is that the tiger stripes on the shoulders are badly executed. The bottom two or three black stripes are woven into the material, giving them a low-sheen look that matches the rest of the jersey fabric. However, the top stripe is screenprinted onto the jersey in glossy black. On sunny days, this is very noticeable and makes the jerseys look quite cheap:

pnH5Z.jpg

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I could see Denver making subtle changes to their current uniform.

-They are definitly going back to orange, as the primary home jersey.

-They keep the white pants with the navy swoosh.

-They change the navy swoosh on the white jersey's to orange, with the thin navy trim. Keep the navy numbers.

-They then wear the white pants with the orange swoosh with the white jerseys and implement the navy pants (with the orange swoosh) as well with the white jersey's.

-Navy jersey's (with orange swoosh) as alternates.

Not drastic changes, but enough for people to notice. The team is re-emphasizing orange, so this would be a way to add more orange to their road set....without a complete overhual of the entire uniform.

Also, I thought I heard that Atlanta was going back to the black jersey's as their primary. Which would probably mean the black pants will return as well.

I don't think the fading pants stripe looks too bad with the white/white combo. I agree that they should eliminate the side panel from the black and orange jerseys, but rather than continuing the tiger stripe up to the armpit (which I think would look busy and confusing) they could simply have a second pair of pants, without the fade, to go with the colored jerseys. This would be similar to the Broncos using pants with a blue or orange stripe depending on their jersey color.

My pet peeve with the Bengals uniform, other than the jersey side panels and the inconsistent nameplates, is that the tiger stripes on the shoulders are badly executed. The bottom two or three black stripes are woven into the material, giving them a low-sheen look that matches the rest of the jersey fabric. However, the top stripe is screenprinted onto the jersey in glossy black. On sunny days, this is very noticeable and makes the jerseys look quite cheap:

pnH5Z.jpg

Oh, God, no... I didn't man all the way up the the armpit. Good Lord, what a horrible visual! I just meant up to the top of the pants.

And you're 100% right about the screen printed stripes. Looks like dukey. But thats true, to me, about all teams that mix twill (numbers) with screen printed elements. Inconsistent and ugly. The durene stripes worn by the Browns, Steelers, and Lions looks SO much better.

Hoping the Panthers don't change too much. Yes, their entire scheme is a little 90's, but it's unique and when they're on the field you can tell who's playing at first glance, which is rare nowadays.

I wouldn't mind a modernization of the logo though.

But I guess I'll hope for the best, but expect some piping-crazy bland crap.

sig.png

I could see Denver making subtle changes to their current uniform.

-They are definitly going back to orange, as the primary home jersey.

-They keep the white pants with the navy swoosh.

-They change the navy swoosh on the white jersey's to orange, with the thin navy trim. Keep the navy numbers.

-They then wear the white pants with the orange swoosh with the white jerseys and implement the navy pants (with the orange swoosh) as well with the white jersey's.

Also, I thought I heard that Atlanta was going back to the black jersey's as their primary. Which would probably mean the black pants will return as well.

I've thought they should do that for some time now, as it would allow them to wear the navy pants on the road. It also may not look horrible to keep the white jersey as is, and bust out orange pants with a navy swoosh, though I think your suggestion works better.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

...when they're on the field you can tell who's playing at first glance, which is rare nowadays.

Maybe in college football this is rare, but not in the NFL. This is because the NFL doesn't like shi++ing on its own brands, and I'll be surprised if they let Nike do it.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

While I think there will be some changes, doesn't the NFL really get a boner over "team branding?" I don't see much drastic. I don't think it has to do with who created the uni, because teams have switched brands and kept everything the same (Bucs went from Adidas, Broncos from Nike, etc)

KISSwall09.jpg

All I got to say is this thread doesn't deserve to get Clevejacked, because the Browns suck and therefore do not need to be mentioned in such a nice forum as this.

Yea that Art Modell guy! And like Baltimore! and LeBron James! JohnnySeoul as well! CLEVEJACKED OMGZZ

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

All I got to say is this thread doesn't deserve to get Clevejacked, because the Browns suck and therefore do not need to be mentioned in such a nice forum as this.

....um.... thanx?

Anyway, I would like to see the Panthers change up that blue a little. NOTHING like Navy or Royal or anything common like that.

I'd like to see them work with something like this:

lm02.jpg

...maybe a little darker?

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

....um.... thanx?

Anyway, I would like to see the Panthers change up that blue a little. NOTHING like Navy or Royal or anything common like that.

lm02.jpg

Reminds me of the Lions' Honolulu Blue.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

....um.... thanx?

lm02.jpg

Reminds me of the Lions' Honolulu Blue.

It's actually called 'jet blue' or 'jetblau'. Which would be perfect for NC's aviation heritage.

Maybe look at it in some sunlight and tell me if it reminds you of Honolulu Blue...

WUAAU34259N000794_17.jpg

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

It's been confirmed on here that the Panthers have submitted their new changes, and IIRC Showtime stated that they're not too drastic (i.e. no black helmet.)

They are getting a new primary logo, though. Confirmed by ColorWerx.

Again I could be mistaken, but wasn't it stated that even the new primary wasn't a total overhaul?

This is what I'm thinking. Similar to what the Arizona Cardinals and Toronto Blue Jays have done, I'm thinking the "new" logo will just be a cleaned up, slightly modernized rendition of what's already there. Which is good, because I've always found the Panthers' primary logo to be a bit odd looking.

NFLGG3.jpg

If you look closely you'll notice that the texans have perfect uniforms...

Anyone else think that the bengals pants would look really good with a striped ...stripe..? Like Michigan states current ones( pc stripe)

Also would striped numbers be a bit much??

Archived