New DC Comics & DC Entertainment Logos

BrySmalls

Horrible logo (Not that I've bought a DC comic since they were publishing "The Question" & "Longbow Hunters"...), generic and bland. The old logo wasn't great, but at least it was recognisable.

And it's always bugged me that they're called DC Comics, "DC" standing for "Detective Comics". It's as redundant as saying "PIN number" or "ATM machine".

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This new logo is clever, but it doesn't radiate action, intensity, or motion. It sells the experience of a static comic book reading experience. Not too exciting.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Absolutely putrid logo - for any company. Sure, the peel-away D is an interesting concept, but this is absolutely terrible, especially for a comic book publisher. It's bland, emotionless, and relies entirely on gradients to convey it's message. Take away the gradients, and you take away any semblance of what the hell is going on.

spacer.png

I'm going to be "that guy" and say that while I don't think it's great, I don't think it's horrible. Someone mentioned that it's probably a nod to the whole "Superman donning his cape" or w/e. I think that's what it is supposed to look like, too.

Of course, I'm not an avid comic book reader, so the DC Comics logo was never that ingrained in my head in the first place.

More:

1326995487.jpg

1326995591.jpg

1326995528.jpg

I guess it's an improvement, but so too would have been the return to the 76-05 bullet.

Just noticed that the Batman cover is numbered 708, and dated May 2012. That makes it look like they had this logo change in place before their big line-wide reboot last fall (the current issue of Batman is #5).

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Awesome rebrand.

Tells the story, has a couple of layers of meaning and has great application above.

The old logo wasn't especially good.

Finally, a voice of reason. The previous logo looked like a 1990s sports logo. It tried very, very hard to be cool, and never succeeded. I honestly can't believe that it was launched in 2005. The new logo is nice. Unmasking the hero, turning the page. Both are great layers of meaning and don't look as forced as I would have thought they would. It's unmistakably a D and C, and while there are probably some areas where it could have been better crafted, overall it's definitely an upgrade. I don't like the placement on the books, though, and I'm lukewarm on the trendy idea of making it morph into all sorts of different textures. Everyone seems to be doing it, and I'm sure it will give the opening/closing sequences of DC movies a nice touch, but it didn't make me like the identity any more.

Of course, if I had done it, I would have simply updated the look of the 1976 logo, because that was a winner. Honestly, with this move they're probably positioning themselves for life after comic books, which are a dying breed, or at least a shrinking one.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

This new logo is clever, but it doesn't radiate action, intensity, or motion. It sells the experience of a static comic book reading experience. Not too exciting.

Name me something more static than reading.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Absolutely putrid logo - for any company. Sure, the peel-away D is an interesting concept, but this is absolutely terrible, especially for a comic book publisher. It's bland, emotionless, and relies entirely on gradients to convey it's message. Take away the gradients, and you take away any semblance of what the hell is going on.

But, the gradients are there, and they're not going to take them away. Thus, you will always have a semplance of what's going on. So what if it relies on gradients? Reproduction of gradients is hardly the issue it was in years past, especially with most logo usage these days being digital.

when i first saw the black/white version i wasnt too impressed. great concept (revealing a hidden identity) but poor execution and it lacks something to connect with.

but seeing these applications on the book and with the hero identities i really like it. it makes that concept even stronger. i still hate the harsh gradients, that looks terrible, but overall its a fantastic identity.

im kind of torn on the typography. its well done and is a nice typeface, but cant help feel its too boring as well. simply adding color to it could be an alright solution.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived