Reworking the MLS and now the NASL

mcrosby

I was paging through the MLS logos on the mothership and discovered just how great some of the All-Star and MLS Cup logos are. A lot of the MLS badges really disappoint me, especially with how great these event logos have been. I've attempted to rework the club logos with some help from these logos. Some alterations are pretty drastic (DC United) and others just add a bit of flair (Red Bull). I'll post one or two at a time, at some point I think I'll have tweaked at least 12 of the clubs brands.

First up:Houston Dynamo

The logo for the 2010 All-Star game is one of my favorites and was the first inspiration for these concepts. To make it into a club logo I added the team name from the existing logo, the soccer ball to serve as the planet, and 2005 surrounded by two championship stars.

HoustonDynamo.png

Many more to come. The series is not only a mash up of All-Star and MLS Cup logos, a few teams use pieces from the EPL, city crests, defunct teams, and even simple recolors. *This is mostly a tweaking using what is already out there, not full blown logo concepts.*

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next: Seattle Sounders FC

I used parts of the current crest, added some trees and set the whole thing in a crest inspired by the Seattle flag. I love the current crest and struggled coming up with a way to refresh it. I am real happy with how this turned out. Soccer crests, to me, should represent their home city as much as their team nickname.

SeattleSounders.png

I think the Dynamo logo has too much of a "traffic cone" feel. Although, a traffic cone is a very plausible logo for any Houston area team.

I do like The Seattle crest very much. It's not easy formulating a sports logo using the city's flag as inspiration. Kansas City's flag might also be cool to work with.

Nice work so far! Houston definitley has a good pop to the logo, I think it stands out quite well. I do like your Sounders logo, but maybe you could have reserved the use trees for the Timbers instead of the Sounders. Keep it coming!!

DLWatt.png

Two more up.

The first is Red Bull NY, or NY Red Bull, or whatever it is you call them. I mashed their current logo with the 2011 All-Star logo. Pretty simple, still a nice change of pace and very NY.

RedBullNY.png

Second is Chicago Fire. The Chicago flag is one of my favorite city flags and was obvious inspiration. The idea has been done before for the Fire, I know Chestnutz had something very similar in one of his series. This is just my take on it. I took out some lines that I saw as excess in the firefighter shield and added 1997. The top stripe of the center flag has the city skyline on it. What can I say, I love skylines.

ChicagoFire.png

I like the use of the city skylines, these are very good!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I love that Fire crest but you have one too many stars. There are only four on the flag.

Maybe change the center one to a standard five-point title star.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I love that Fire crest but you have one too many stars. There are only four on the flag.

Maybe change the center one to a standard five-point title star.

Wow, don't know how I missed that. Here's the update.

ChicagoFire-1.png

And while I'm at it, here's Sporting KC. I didn't do much to this one either, just tweaks again. I took out the gradients and added four, very small colored lines to throw back to their previous logo. I did have the light blue stripes in these colors with the end ones remaining light blue but it was a bit much. I also changed the SC to KC because it just seemed more appropriate.

SportingKC.png

Two more up, one with quite a few tweaks and another basic color change.

First up-the simple one. I think LA Galaxy have one of the best crests in the league: simple, iconic, more simple. I wanted to go a little bit closer to their previous colors and originally had green and yellow but it looked too Packers for my liking (I'm still in mourning). Then I tried gold and green and it looked very Notre Dame. I ended up with a teal (which they've dabbled with in their logos) and gold. I like the use of gold for LA, they seem to be a prestigious team in the league, spending the big bucks and what not. I also took the bevels out of the L and A to further simplify it. No skyline this time.

LAGalaxy.png

Next is Colorado. I initially started by just changing the mountains in the logo to match the angle created by the top of the crest but then decided to make it even more mountainous. I recently drove through Colorado and mountains there seem to go on and on, on after another. I removed 'Rapids' from the logo, I think they would still be known as the rapids but plenty of EPL teams have no indication of their team name on their crest...it could work. I changed the ball to better match the C on the Colorado state flag, it's not as streamlined as the previous logo but it is more representative of the state they play in.

ColoradoFC.png

You've definitely put some thought into these and they've turned out looking really good. Adding the skyline to the Red Bulls logo was a huge upgrade. On the other hand, I think the skyline on the Fire logo will get lost when the logo is downsized for a jersey patch or for print/web use, etc. You could probably do without it. Great work on the whole set so far, though! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for some other teams.

teamlogossig.png

There comes a point when you don't stand for the constant heartbreak anymore, and walk away.

Alright, another update.

Here's quickly fixed Colorado:

ColoradoFC-1.png

And now for two new ones.

Sticking with the mountain theme, Real Salt Lake. The 2009 All Star logo is another beautiful logo. I switched out all the All Star gunk for the RSL monogram and 'royalled' up the colors a bit. Real SL's blue is a bit more purple, as is the red. I think the gold mountains work great for a team named Real. The 2009 AS logo was another original inspiration for this 'tweaking' series so I didn't do much to it.

RealSaltLake.png

Next up is Chivas USA. I've decided to make them Chivas LA for this concept. Instead of the Guadalajara crest there is now the LA county shield. I replaced the knights helmet with a soccer ball clad with a halo, indicative of LA. I thought the halo'd ball and gold supports worked well as head/wings of an angel and yet kept the original Chivas logo in tact enough to see the relationship.

CDChivasLA.png

I think the original Colorado C caould work if you put a piece of pie in the gap but not all the way (you understand?)

RSL's ball is outstanding and the way the mountains seem to be a crown is genious. Chivas needs to be sent to the club, Chicago should use these colours you have put in your shield. Sporting with the KC is much more suited, and Seattle with the Wreath type outline is a nice touch.

Nice work mcrosby.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Archived